Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 10:11 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
I think what is needed is financial literacy education in black communities. The stock market, compound interest, and wealth building are not taught in schools and historically black communities do not have family members that provide this education in the home (at least in my area growing up). I remember my own dad admitting that he didn't know anything about retirement accounts or stocks, he did 27 years in the Air force then double dipped at the Post office for retirement, Mom retired military too so no go there.

I'm near 40 and just started to understand this stuff and invest. I've missed almost 10 years of gains because I had no idea how to get started. I didn't even understand 401k's, when I asked my friends and family they would give vague non-specific answers so I realized none of us knew outside of matching employer contributions.

How do you get on the highway to the American dream when you cant even find the on-ramp.
Failure to teach money management in public education serves a purpose. It is a perpetual motion machine, with for profit prison at the end of the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 10:19 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politic...ed-by-slavery/

How would reparations work? If you pay the present generation to atone for the sins of the past, what about upcoming generations? Will they get a piece of the action as well? Is this a forever thing?
What about the Native Americans, women, Irish? How will we repair the damage done to current and future generations as a result of societal norms followed by our ancestors 200 years ago?

And shouldn't we also begin a study and set aside reparations for our future generations for the offenses we are committing today that we are not yet aware of.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:31 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,992,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politic...ed-by-slavery/

How would reparations work? If you pay the present generation to atone for the sins of the past, what about upcoming generations? Will they get a piece of the action as well? Is this a forever thing?
This isn't about reparations. It is, as usual, about Sheila Jackson Lee. She simply must be the biggest clown in the clown car, and has been that way for nearly 23 years.

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/wh...shelia-6587118

The epitome of willful ignorance, arrogance and entitlement.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:48 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
This bill was introduced in January 2017 by Rep. John Conyers who resigned in disgrace in late 2017 after multiple sexual harassment allegations. Rep. Lee asked to take over as lead sponsor of the bill a year ago. H.R.40 proposes a study only for possible reparations, not actual reparations, and doesn't appear to have any traction after 2 years.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-.../house-bill/40

Old 01-04-2019, 11:05 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What about the Native Americans, women, Irish? How will we repair the damage done to current and future generations as a result of societal norms followed by our ancestors 200 years ago?

And shouldn't we also begin a study and set aside reparations for our future generations for the offenses we are committing today that we are not yet aware of.

How many Irish in America have a surname like"Adebayo" or another African name? How many African Americans have an "Irish" surname? How about Shaquille O'neal? Why is this so?

Old 01-04-2019, 11:08 AM

1,874 posts, read 819,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
That is what black people were saying for over 300 years. "You have to keep enslaving and discriminating against us for YOUR benefit". The white society LOOKED OUTSIDE their community and found other races to oppress in a form of seesaw economics in which one race is lowered to elevate another race. The white "collective" could not improve the collective by oppressing other whites because the gains of those benefiting from the oppression would be offset by those losing due to being oppressed. Oppressing other races and their resources, allowed for collective uplift of whites. Now, however, you expect other races to lift themselves up totally on their own.....when you did not.
1. In regards to the bolded, this is simply not true. There are already things in place that are reparations by another name (affirm action, college admissions, public assistance, etc)
2. Life is not fair. Its not fair that some people are born into lesser situations than others. Its also not fair to take from people who had nothing to do with a past injustice. That CAN be prevented.

As someone else said, there is no logical argument for reparations. The only argument is out of spite or vengeance.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
1. In regards to the bolded, this is simply not true. There are already things in place that are reparations by another name (affirm action, college admissions, public assistance, etc)
2. Life is not fair. Its not fair that some people are born into lesser situations than others. Its also not fair to take from people who had nothing to do with a past injustice. That CAN be prevented.

As someone else said, there is no logical argument for reparations. The only argument is out of spite or vengeance.

If there is a logical argument that socioeconomic racial inequality between blacks and whites is rooted in the history of racial oppression of blacks, then that in and of itself is a logical argument for reparations. What is illogical about it is the expectation. If a racist nation oppressed a race.....why would it then seek to repair the damage unless it was no longer a racist nation, which we know is not true?

Black oppression was proof blacks were not liked. Denying the damage and repair is further proof.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And where is this reparations money supposed to come from? Not my tax dollars! My Chinese ancestors had nothing at all to do with American black slave ownership. And my husband's family came over from Europe in the early 20thc and they also had nothing to do with slave ownership.
And the majority of white native born American citizens had nothing to do with black slave ownership.

I think we should turn this around and ask what the lives of decedents of slaves would be like if their ancestors had remained in Africa or not have come to the US. Would they be better off economically, socially, educationally? Would they be suffering more damage or less?

Old 01-04-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
How many Irish in America have a surname like"Adebayo" or another African name? How many African Americans have an "Irish" surname? How about Shaquille O'neal? Why is this so?
IDK, how many?
What does ones surname have to do with inequities their ancestors faced.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And the majority of white native born American citizens had nothing to do with black slave ownership.

I think we should turn this around and ask what the lives of decedents of slaves would be like if their ancestors had remained in Africa or not have come to the US. Would they be better off economically, socially, educationally? Would they be suffering more damage or less?

Have either of you taken a civics class? When did taxes become about personal responsibility? Why do I pay more taxes because of some Stadium that some rich guy wanted to build for his team that I am not a fan of? Why do I have to pay more taxes because my local and state government wanted to woo a large a "franchise" corporate headquarters to my area? Why should I pay taxes to bail out the Savings and Loan from decades prior, which I had nothing to do with?

One cannot deny taxes on the bases of personal guilt or innocence. Whether you have anything to do with the creation of the debt is not germane to the tax and your liability. When one inherits or is granted citizenship, one inherits the ASSETS AND LIABILITIES of the nation, state, county and city. You don't get to deny paying based upon personal responsibility in the creation of the debt....or asset.

Besides, your both hypocrites. Many of the rights and freedoms that you enjoy as Americas are rights and freedoms that SOMEONE else's sacrifices created, but you inherit as an asset/benefit of citizenship. I can honestly say that I have never heard or read anyone arguing that they should not enjoy the freedoms of this nation......because they had no role in creating them. Yet, I hear all the time people arguing that they should not be burdened with any debts of the nation, such as reparations, because they had no role enslaving others. You can't have it both ways. You don't deserve the benefits of good choices people made in the past, that now benefit you if you are not willing to also inherit the liability of the bad choices people made in the past because it would be a detriment to you. It's a package deal.

You can deny all you want.....it just makes you bigger hypocrites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies