Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2019, 05:51 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Not to Asians. Again, as a Chinese American, I owe NOTHING at all in reparations to those with slave ancestors.

I would support the purchase of a one-way ticket for any slave descendant who would like to return to Africa... and I can't think of any African American who would take me up on that offer. Even Obama's Kenyan aunt who overstayed her visa and was living in MA, refused to return to Africa.

You also gave nothing for the freedoms that you enjoy today, that come from the actions of people past. Why is that? Did your ancestors help fight for the freedom from Britain? What about the people who fought for the right of women to vote. Were you or your ancestors part of that? What have you contributed to the freedoms you enjoy......you should move if you can't handle the package deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 05:57 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,914,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That's why we give preferential treatment to blacks when they apply to college, apply to grad school, apply for jobs, and apply for promotions. They are given advantages over whites, which BTW, of course come at the expense of whites who had nothing to do with Jim Crow.

If I were black, I would have zoomed right to the top of the companies I worked for.
Preferential treatment when applying for jobs? what data are you looking at?

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...-think/281175/

https://thinkprogress.org/a-black-co...-b7639607fdf1/

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...503-story.html (keep ind mind - this was a really weakly-designed study)

https://www.politifact.com/punditfac...ely-get-respo/

https://www.nber.org/digest/sep03/w9873.html

I don't think Affirmative Action is the right answer by any means, but let's not pretend it is any "great equalizer".

The biggest issue is that we address these issues WAY too late. You can't address these problems in college. Or even High School. We need to do more to educate our young minority children about different opportunities they have.

I mentor a young black kid from a disadvantaged school weekly at my work (through a "giving back" program that we run for the local community), and honestly the biggest issue you need to overcome is psychological. You can tell that he was never shown that science is something he COULD do. It is an option for him. He is young and bright, and he gets it. But I worry once he grows up where he will go from there...because I know he has never had this attention previously. Nor been shown the options he has in life.

Let's give up the act that because slavery is long over, or that Jim Crow was last century, that everything went back to being equal. Those communities will be living with those legacies for generations. It's very hard to undo that kind of damage, much less what is essentially overnight from a human generational perspective.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:09 PM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
Oh, you mean the way America robbed blacks of wages for their work in building this country for several centuries?
Their is a reason the poorest part of most cities have a high black population. America stole their wages for centuries. Now the right wingers blame them constantly for their situation while having a high and mighty attitude about how its not right to take things away from people who work hard.
I don't automatically support reparations and have no idea how it would work out reasonably fair. But its fair to say that America wouldn't be the world superpower it is without slavery, and a massive amount of income was never paid to a large portion of the country who built it working under often brutal conditions while having their families torn apart.
How many years ago did Slavery END? At what point do we say the Black Community bears responsibility for whatever failures they still have? Don't you think 154 years is enough time? If there was a time to give slaves reparations it would have been when they were still alive. I don't think any Blacks today have been enslaved, nor the parents, nor most likely their parents, parents.

All the Democrats are attempting to do is to further divide, create an entitlement, and victim mentality. Also it enables Democrats that support this crap to FEEL GOOD about themselves and Virtue Signal. It is self serving, selfish DRECK of the highest order.

If you want to give reparations, please empty your bank account and donate to Black people that need the money. Yet again, don't use OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY to make yourself feel good. Put your money up.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:39 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,017,135 times
William H. Carney was a former slave and member of the 54th Massachusetts. At the charge on Fort Wagner he saw the flag bearer get mortally wounded so he threw down his musket, grabbed the flag before it hit the ground then charged into a hail of gunfire. He got shot in the chest and both knees but he kept running until he got to the top of the fort. He held it there until the 54th retreated. When he couldn't stand anymore he wrapped the flag around his body to keep it from hitting the ground. When the 54th was treating he dragged himself over a mile back to the nearest Union camp. When asked about his heroism he replied that he was only doing his duty. Carney didn't even ask for reparations even though he experienced actual slavery. By today's standards Carney would be considered an Uncle Tom or any of the other ridiculous slurs that the far left likes to label black people who disagree with them. These people demanding reparations are not affected by slavery nor have they done anything to deserve reparations yet democrats like Sheila Jackson Lee want to give these kind of people reparations and yet in the same breath would dishonor and disparage actual African American heroes. This is all just a way to try and keep black people in a victim mentality.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:55 PM

294 posts, read 219,848 times
If all one ever does is look into the past and complain about what could have been all you end up with is a sore neck and NO FUTURE. In the information age the internet gives everyone the chance to learn and make their future better. Acquire the skills to live a better life and it becomes possible, present yourself as EMPLOYABLE and you might get the job.

Life is not fair most of the time but YOUR efforts might create the chance for a better life and your attitude will make the difference in whether you achieve it. Become an asset instead of a liability.

Stop living the loser lifestyle and you might stop being a loser!!!!!!!!

Old 01-04-2019, 07:08 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You also gave nothing for the freedoms that you enjoy today, that come from the actions of people past. Why is that? Did your ancestors help fight for the freedom from Britain? What about the people who fought for the right of women to vote. Were you or your ancestors part of that? What have you contributed to the freedoms you enjoy......you should move if you can't handle the package deal.
Again, I don't owe the descendants of black slave ANYTHING. And it was Chinese immigrant men who built and died for the construction of the Trans Continental Railroad. And we had to deal with the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882. And women were late in being allowed to vote in the US.

However, despite what my ancestors in America and past American women had to deal with... the Chinese community and the female community in the US are two high functioning groups of people. So what is the excuse for blacks????

And all the money in the world can't fix the problems in the black community... that is really all up to them. The ghetto culture is a broken dysfunctional one, yet the black community stubbornly embraces it and treats it as precious and a symbol of rebelling against the "man".

And btw, I see that the quote for the congresswoman is that the reparations would be to "repair some of the damage" caused by slavery... which means that more demands will follow.

Anyway, I am so glad not to be a member of a group that loves its victimhood so much. I'd be very embarrassed and ashamed to be connected to it.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:38 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
BTW the world and America was a much different place 400 years ago. And in the tens of thousands of years of humans being on this planet, during the majority of that time, humans were in tribes and larger groups defined by a common language, religion or culture. And between these groups of people, the stronger ones always dominated and took advantage of the weaker groups for the better drinking water,, hunting grounds and living areas. And especially in the last hundred years, between having two World Wars, faster world travel by boat and air, and the technologies of photography, telephone and now the internet... the world has finally become totally connected and global.

That said, you can't judge the America of 400 years ago by the standards of today. Or judge the America of 100 years ago by today's yardstick. Our country is still evolving. And 400 years ago, those African slaves were coming in from a continent where their indigenous people were still living in the Stone Age. And looking at the National Geographic magazines from the 1970's and even later, the pages were splashed with the photographs of the tribal people in their grass skirts and mud huts. They didn't even have a written language. So it was natural for Europeans and Americans back in the slave times to consider Africans a lesser evolved human. They just didn't know any better.

And why should America be judged more harshly than any other country in the world? Even Canada put their Japanese immigrants into internment camps during WWII. Even Canada mistreated their indigenous peoples. As did the Australians. And the Brazil and other parts of Central America don't treat their indigenous people well and take their rain forests away from them for timber and farmlands.

But if the whole planet got involved in making reparations for past wrongs... well it would be an unattainable mess and all people and countries involved in a quagmire of frustration.

Every race, culture, religion and country has been bullied and wrongs done to that group. And the people who succeed, don't let the past bring them down and instead keep moving forward. A great example is the Jewish people. They had to deal with the Egyptians, anti-Semitism, and Nazi Germany... yet they kept moving forward and they are a very successful group. And I really like their Passover dinners every year where they gather with family and close friends to remember how their people escaped the Egyptians. So they never forget their past, but they don't let the past keep them victims.

Ancestors of black slaves should have an annual dinner where they have their own version of the Jewish Passover.

Also, I feel sad for black people who love their rap culture so much and treat it like its something precious to preserve. Meanwhile, they seem to forget other much greater music genres that they created like the Blues, Jazz and Motown. Meanwhile, it's a bunch of old white guy musicians who love and play that music and keep it alive.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:40 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Females without a man they respect are generally nuts. It’s just evolution and science.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:48 PM

20,113 posts, read 9,028,155 times
nobody is paying anybody any amount of money ...lmao

Old 01-04-2019, 08:40 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
So dicey and complicated.

I would just test every US citizen............anybody with ANY Black DNA would get
one-million tax-free dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies