Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2019, 05:15 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,811,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I am not excusing as much as you are "accusing" it. What I am saying is that for blacks, the DIFFERENCE between the white rate and black rate was born from racial oppression. In other words, the REASON that black rates are multiple times higher than the white race (the multiple has actually reduced since the 60's) has to do with things that were going on during the era of legalized racial oppression. I am not saying that racial oppression is the cause of out of wedlock births among blacks, I am saying that differential between the black and white rate was caused as a consequence of racial oppression. That is not excusing out of wedlock births from being a cause of issues, although the big increase in out of wedlock births among whites since the 60's does not seem to have adversely impacted collective white economics.

That having been noted, I don't know what money has been thrown at the particular issue of out of wedlock births. Yes, efforts have been made to reduce teen pregnancies, and they are indeed greatly reduced from their peak. However, how you you spend money to prevent ADULTS from having children when they are not married? Many successful women, who happen to have not found the right mate, may decide to have a child without being married because her biological clock is ticking and she wants to have the child at an age of less risk, but also at an age where she is financially secure. As I said before, the women's rights movement has a lot to do with this. Now, women are able to earn good salaries on their own, which means that they do not need to get married for a husband to provide for her and her children. Thus, she may choose to have children out of wedlock as opposed to marrying someone who she really does not want to marry. Should that deprive a women of childbirth?
No one should be deprived of the ability to have a child. I don't care if someone who can afford to raise and care for a child has one or ten for that matter. But to have children one cannot afford is unfair to taxpayers and the children. That goes for anyone of any color. Color is not my issue it's yours. At some point the bill has been paid and no more is due. I, or the government, can't fix your problems only you (collective) can.

Last edited by redwood66; 01-06-2019 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 05:42 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Agree. And besides, my great-great-grandfather didn't own anyone's great-great-grandfather. My great-great-grandparents eked out a living in shetls, with some of my ancestors getting out of Europe prior to WWII. (Some didn't, and they were murdered.)

They came to this country 100 years ago, slaved away in sweatshops, and sacrificed to send their children to college. In the space of two generations, my family went from uneducated, dirt-poor immigrants to affluent professionals. Why should people like me pay for slavery that happened generations before we even arrived?
Yet there is a thread here that would say it's impossible to do that. Once poor always poor. /facepalm/

Old 01-06-2019, 05:43 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
No one should be deprived of the ability to have a child. I don't care if someone who can afford to raise and care for a child has one or ten for that matter. But to have children one cannot afford is unfair to taxpayers and the children. That goes for anyone of any color. Color is not my issue it's yours. At some point the bill has been paid and no more is due. I, or the government, can't fix your problems only you (collective) can.

Mortality and fertility are inversely related. In other words, high rates of fertility happens in nations and among people with higher rates of mortality. The wealthier nations and people become, the lower their rates of fertility. Hence, higher fertility is natures defense to assure the continuation of the blood line and or species, to high mortality threats. It might seem counter intuitive for the poorest countries pr the poor of a country to have the highest rate of fertility, but its intuitive for nature.

If you want to lower fertility rates and or births out of wedlock, you do that buy investing in poor peoples future, especially the young. Nothing seems to reduce birth rates like wealth. Promote the spread of wealth to poor people and these issues resolve themselves.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:52 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Congresswomen Lee should use that post as a reason why blacks need reparations in 2019
Americans didn't do this. Democrats did, Mrs. Lee.
The party of slavery
The party of the KKK
The party of Jim Crow
The party that imprisoned East Asian looking people, for no other reason than the way they looked
The party that fought against MLK
The party that refused the civil rights act
The party that told all black Americans they could not make it in life without government privilege.
The party of the sexual revolution
The party that has sexualized the children
The party that promotes and rewards single motherhood.
The party that has always used race as a weapon.

Ya, that party

If anyone, the Democrats should pay up and leave the rest of us alone.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:01 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
The only ones they should be paying is teenage girls to not get pregnant. Every month they stay childless pay them a thousand bucks until they turn 21. If they use if for college or vocational school make it $1500.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:58 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
Oh, you mean the way America robbed blacks of wages for their work in building this country for several centuries?
Their is a reason the poorest part of most cities have a high black population. America stole their wages for centuries. Now the right wingers blame them constantly for their situation while having a high and mighty attitude about how its not right to take things away from people who work hard.
I don't automatically support reparations and have no idea how it would work out reasonably fair. But its fair to say that America wouldn't be the world superpower it is without slavery, and a massive amount of income was never paid to a large portion of the country who built it working under often brutal conditions while having their families torn apart.
Slaves in America worked largely on plantations which generated revenue for the 1%er of the time. In the north most work in factories. One could argue that slave labor actually stole jobs and wages from free men.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:24 PM

393 posts, read 409,638 times
Quote:
Was it called race hustling when whites were oppressing blacks for centuries?
From what I gather, I am a self declared black man. Therefore where do I sign up for these reparations. Oh and we are already "leveling the playing field" through affirmative action, quotas, preference in college applications, free dis and dat, get over it. AND I wasn't here "centuries ago", why should I pay.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:29 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Slaves in America worked largely on plantations which generated revenue for the 1%er of the time. In the north most work in factories. One could argue that slave labor actually stole jobs and wages from free men.
If that is true, then that makes slavery that much more egregious.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:05 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
One could argue that slave labor actually stole jobs and wages from free men.
Many did argue exactly that prior to, during and after the Civil War, particularly on the question of "what is to be done with he freed slave?"

Guess where the Davis-Bacon Act came from?

Old 01-07-2019, 02:47 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,402,729 times
Now, finding evidence or proof that confirms a person is descended from Black slaves could be hard because any person could claim to be a descendant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies