Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2019, 01:32 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What exactly were you cheated out of?

The accrued earnings of my ancestors lost wealth. Not being properly compensated for their labor, for centuries, meant that the were not able to convert their lost income to wealth (land ownership, other), for one. Wealth is passed down through generations.

https://www.demos.org/blog/11/11/13/...ican-americans

https://splinternews.com/how-the-u-s...f-a-1819221197

There is Much, much more if you want to google it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
As a woman my female ancestors were denied education, employment, civil and legal rights. There are more women in poverty, with less education and as single parents, etc. Is this because of 300+ years of history and should women need to be constantly told their situation is a result of the past in lieu of actual monetary compensation.

Does being a women keep you from thinking as well as a man? White men oppressing white women did not result in the WHITE FAMILY being oppressed. Your children were OKAY because they had the white man, who was taking everything from others, to PROVIDE for them. White women also gave birth to white males who inherited all the rights and privilege which he can then share with his white mother. Thus, the white women had the white husbands and sons to make sure they had what they needed economically, even if they did not have suffrage or other rights. That is NOTHING comparable to the oppression of a RACE, where the male, female and children were all oppressed economically, culturally and psychologicaly.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:40 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,432,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
If there is a logical argument that socioeconomic racial inequality between blacks and whites is rooted in the history of racial oppression of blacks, then that in and of itself is a logical argument for reparations. What is illogical about it is the expectation. If a racist nation oppressed a race.....why would it then seek to repair the damage unless it was no longer a racist nation, which we know is not true?

Black oppression was proof blacks were not liked. Denying the damage and repair is further proof.
So how would you like to see this implemented? A cash payout? A debit card for every black person?

Next question is, will said payment be the end of the issue, or will subsequent generations of blacks demand their own reparations?

Old 01-04-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
So how would you like to see this implemented? A cash payout? A debit card for every black person?

Next question is, will said payment be the end of the issue, or will subsequent generations of blacks demand their own reparations?

By a simple admission that such explains the continued struggles of African Americans relative to white Americans. It should be a national admission made by congress and signed off on by the president, in the role that this society played in making the black collective dysfunctional.

That is it. That is all that I would like to see. We can take it from there. However, Americans would be against such an admission because they don't believe this. They believe that blacks are simply innately inferior and this inferiority is what explains the current dysfunction, with the history of racism only being an "excuse".

Old 01-04-2019, 01:50 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,432,012 times
Quote:
By a simple admission that such explains the continued struggles of African Americans relative to white Americans. It should be a national admission made by congress and signed off on by the president, in the role that this society played in making the black collective dysfunctional.

That is it. That is all that I would like to see. We can take it from there. However, Americans would be against such an admission because they don't believe this. They believe that blacks are simply innately inferior and this inferiority is what explains the current dysfunction, with the history of racism only being an "excuse".

Really? You think it would end there?

Old 01-04-2019, 01:56 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,695,142 times
A lot of people don't realize it but people like this woman are why a lot of people voted for Trump. Not because they like him but they feel that if they didn't we'd be one step closer to American being in a position to try and go after "the white man".

I know this lady is not like the majority of good black Americans out there but her message is getting spread more than ever now because of social media etc.

I know a lot of white people that want to help out Black Americans because they truly know that they have it harder & have historically been at a disadvantage. But a lot of these White Americans are starting to see things more as a revenge than actually trying to want to make things better. And before anybody tries to misinterpret my revenge statement let me explain. It seems like no matter what some white people to do it's never good enough. So how do we make things right? To me that's impossible if that is going to be the motto.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:04 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Does being a women keep you from thinking as well as a man? White men oppressing white women did not result in the WHITE FAMILY being oppressed. Your children were OKAY because they had the white man, who was taking everything from others, to PROVIDE for them. White women also gave birth to white males who inherited all the rights and privilege which he can then share with his white mother. Thus, the white women had the white husbands and sons to make sure they had what they needed economically, even if they did not have suffrage or other rights. That is NOTHING comparable to the oppression of a RACE, where the male, female and children were all oppressed economically, culturally and psychologicaly.
So the fact that women today are 35% more likely to live in poverty than men, be less educated thenmen, make less money than men and make up most single parent homes is not the result of 300+ years of being denied an education, employment, and rights but black being having more single parent homes than whites, higher poverty than whites and less education than whites is a result of 300+ years of being denied education, employment and rights. How did that happen?

Old 01-04-2019, 02:06 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
The accrued earnings of my ancestors lost wealth. Not being properly compensated for their labor, for centuries, meant that the were not able to convert their lost income to wealth (land ownership, other), for one. Wealth is passed down through generations.

https://www.demos.org/blog/11/11/13/...ican-americans

https://splinternews.com/how-the-u-s...f-a-1819221197

There is Much, much more if you want to google it.
So you believe you would be wealthy today living in west Africa if you ancestors had not been sold into slavery and ended up in America?
My ancestors were farmers, carpenters and coal miners. I did not reap any benefits from their wealth.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:08 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Ugh.

Not this again.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:20 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,588,145 times
I remember the black families in my rural area being intact families. One or both parents worked. Our school cafeteria worker and janitor were husband and wife. Their kids were grown and they wanted to keep busy and make a little extra money. They were liked and respected by the community. The black kids in school were well behaved. Black farm workers were the norm. I don't remember any black crime. There were many black churches in the area. As a child I always marveled at how the women looked so fashionable coming out of church.

When welfare was 'invented' that all changed. Welfare destroyed black culture and the black family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies