Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 12:37 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Have either of you taken a civics class? When did taxes become about personal responsibility? Why do I pay more taxes because of some Stadium that some rich guy wanted to build for his team that I am not a fan of? Why do I have to pay more taxes because my local and state government wanted to woo a large a "franchise" corporate headquarters to my area? Why should I pay taxes to bail out the Savings and Loan from decades prior, which I had nothing to do with?

One cannot deny taxes on the bases of personal guilt or innocence. Whether you have anything to do with the creation of the debt is not germane to the tax and your liability. When one inherits or is granted citizenship, one inherits the ASSETS AND LIABILITIES of the nation, state, county and city. You don't get to deny paying based upon personal responsibility in the creation of the debt....or asset.

Besides, your both hypocrites. Many of the rights and freedoms that you enjoy as Americas are rights and freedoms that SOMEONE else's sacrifices created, but you inherit as an asset/benefit of citizenship. I can honestly say that I have never heard or read anyone arguing that they should not enjoy the freedoms of this nation......because they had no role in creating them. Yet, I hear all the time people arguing that they should not be burdened with any debts of the nation, such as reparations, because they had no role enslaving others. You can't have it both ways. You don't deserve the benefits of good choices people made in the past, that now benefit you if you are not willing to also inherit the liability of the bad choices people made in the past because it would be a detriment to you. It's a package deal.

You can deny all you want.....it just makes you bigger hypocrites.
I dont recall saying anything about taxes so ill just disregard that rant.
Have black people in this country not also benefited in rights and freedoms that someone else's sacrifices created just as whites and every other race/nationality?
Why should it be only black that are compensated for historical grievances? Why not Native Americans, or women or any other group whose ancestors suffered grievances in our countries beginnings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Why don't you try following the thread chain to see what triggered my bringing up surnames. It seems like you are guilty of intellectual welfare....wanting me to provide you answers when you can figure it our yourself....if you wanted to work. Obviously you are not looking for work.....you just want to sit around and make thoughts out of wedlock and have the thoughts of overs given to you.
Kind of like how the black community wants money provided to them for the historical injustices of others while they just sit around being black? Instead of taking advantage of all the opportunities at hand blame others for the lack of self motivation?
If you cant beat them, join them.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:54 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I dont recall saying anything about taxes so ill just disregard that rant.
Have black people in this country not also benefited in rights and freedoms that someone else's sacrifices created just as whites and every other race/nationality?
Why should it be only black that are compensated for historical grievances? Why not Native Americans, or women or any other group whose ancestors suffered grievances in our countries beginnings?

Was the post you quoted in response to one of your post? I don't think so.....but if it was, then I apologize for inadvertently linking the response to you. Otherwise, do your due diligence.

Your question is silly, but I will answer it in directly. If black people are citizens, then they are subject to the assets and liabilities of this nations past, present and future, regardless of personal role in causing the liability/cost or asset/benefit?

Look, if we both work for a company and the company cheated both of us out of pay, MY CLAIM and MY GRIEVANCE is not validated or invalidated based upon whether or not you file a claim or grievance. That line of reasoning (what about the others) is asinine at worst, and deflective at best.

Many freedoms and rights that many minorities enjoy in America, even white women....CAME FROM BLACKS BEING THE ONES STANDING UP AND FIGHTING FOR THE CLAIM!!! Blacks get condemned for being the whiners and complainers, but others then benefit from the things we have fought for. Many minorities or other races come from other countries and look down upon blacks without realizing that we have paved the way for their rights and freedoms without them having to endure the centuries of racial oppression in this country.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Kind of like how the black community wants money provided to them for the historical injustices of others while they just sit around being black? Instead of taking advantage of all the opportunities at hand blame others for the lack of self motivation?
If you cant beat them, join them.

That is why I said what I said to you. I already knew that is what your mind was thinking, so I just flipped the script. I know your moves before you move.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:06 PM

5,986 posts, read 2,240,225 times
Quote:
So is it your surname that causes you great suffering, lack of opportunities, poverty?
No surnames do not cause poverty or lack of opportunities but there is something psychologically disturbing when I think about mine.

You know why black people go back to slavery when talking about their families or past American history? It's because that is where everything leads back to, you cannot get away from it.

Think about the things do everyday that prompts slavery being brought up:
1. Surnames for your family
2. Building a family tree in Ancestory and seeing pictures of plantations and slaves with your family in it
3. Talking to black people older than 65, they have some gut retching stories passed down from family who were slaves and have their own stories as well, growing up in rural south in the 50's and 60's was not the good ol days for black folks.
4. All this talk of the Good ol Days in the 1950's, again what good ol days.
5. Confederate Army, statute, and flag stuff: You lost and the black community is extremely happy you did, period. We didn't erect statues of King George or Charles Cornwallis in Washington or Philadelphia to remind people of our British "history".
6. Knowing there is no family flag, no family crest, or other cool thing to find because you were not human before 1865.

My surname is the Surname of the last slave owner of my Great Great Grandfather who was a slave at a plantation near Roanoke VA. Per the stories passed to my Grandfather (just passed 15 years ago) my great great grandfather hated the surname and resented being stuck with the name but it was not a choice since you were still though of as property, just free property now. And don't say "he could change it" it was the late 1800's to mid 1900's during adulthood, not exactly a friendly court atmosphere.

Reparations will never happen and they don't need to. Would be better off taking that money and providing investment education and personal finance classes. Teach someone to take charge of what they control, not what someone can give you. Not all black people are cool with giving out free crap.

Last edited by Daryl_G; 01-04-2019 at 01:15 PM..

Old 01-04-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Was the post you quoted in response to one of your post? I don't think so.....but if it was, then I apologize for inadvertently linking the response to you. Otherwise, do your due diligence.

Your question is silly, but I will answer it in directly. If black people are citizens, then they are subject to the assets and liabilities of this nations past, present and future, regardless of personal role in causing the liability/cost or asset/benefit?

Look, if we both work for a company and the company cheated both of us out of pay, MY CLAIM and MY GRIEVANCE is not validated or invalidated based upon whether or not you file a claim or grievance. That line of reasoning (what about the others) is asinine at worst, and deflective at best.

Many freedoms and rights that many minorities enjoy in America, even white women....CAME FROM BLACKS BEING THE ONES STANDING UP AND FIGHTING FOR THE CLAIM!!! Blacks get condemned for being the whiners and complainers, but others then benefit from the things we have fought for. Many minorities or other races come from other countries and look down upon blacks without realizing that we have paved the way for their rights and freedoms without them having to endure the centuries of racial oppression in this country.
What exactly were you cheated out of?

Old 01-04-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
No surnames do not cause poverty or lack of opportunities but there is something psychologically disturbing when I think about mine.

You know why black people go back to slavery when talking about their families or past American history? It's because that is where everything leads back to, you cannot get away from it.

2. Building a family tree in Ancestory and seeing pictures of plantations and slaves with your family in it
3. Talking to black people older than 65, they have some gut retching stories passed down from family who were slaves and have their own stories as well, growing up in rural south in the 50's and 60's was not the good ol days for black folks.
5. Confederate Army, statute, and flag stuff: You lost and the black community is extremely happy you did, period. We didn't erect statues of King George or Charles Cornwallis in Washington or Philadelphia to remind people of our British "history".
6. Knowing there is no family flag, no family crest, or other cool thing to find because you were not human before 1865.

My surname is the Surname of the last slave owner of my Great Great Grandfather who was a slave at a plantation near Roanoke VA. Per the stories passed to my Grandfather (just passed 15 years ago) my great great grandfather hated the surname and resented being stuck with the name but it was not a choice since you were still though of as property, just free property now. And don't say "he could change it" it was the late 1800's to mid 1900's during adulthood, not exactly a friendly court atmosphere.

Reparations will never happen and they don't need to. Would be better off taking that money and providing investment education and personal finance classes. Teach someone to take charge of what they control, not what someone can give you. Not all black people are cool with giving out free crap.
Yeah, I hate my surname also. Then by custom I was given my husbands surname. At some point though I had the opportunity to change my surname and I did.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post

Reparations indeed NEVER will happen. However, it is a REMINDER of how and why the present is the way it is in this country. The present is the creation of the past, reaction to the past and effect of the past. Hence, you cant understand why things are the way they are for blacks in America, without paying homage to 300 plus years of history. It's most important that black people realize this.....YOUNG black people and not listen to the modern narrative that black people are just mysteriously defective and results in more violence, more children out of wedlock, more poverty, less education, etc.

Everything is the way it is for a reason.....and America does not want black people to be educated on the real reason we are in the condition we are in. Telling the real reason is "playing a card game" or having a "victim mentality". America wants to disparage the truth so that the truth is not spoken. Like I always say, you have to debit racism to credit black inferiority as a narrative.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:31 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,433,006 times
Quote:
They were the same race....so how could it be called race "hustling"? Was it race hustling when the LAWS of this land allowed for black oppression? Still no answer.
What difference does it make at this point?

Old 01-04-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Reparations indeed NEVER will happen. However, it is a REMINDER of how and why the present is the way it is in this country. The present is the creation of the past, reaction to the past and effect of the past. Hence, you cant understand why things are the way they are for blacks in America, without paying homage to 300 plus years of history. It's most important that black people realize this.....YOUNG black people and not listen to the modern narrative that black people are just mysteriously defective and results in more violence, more children out of wedlock, more poverty, less education, etc.

Everything is the way it is for a reason.....and America does not want black people to be educated on the real reason we are in the condition we are in. Telling the real reason is "playing a card game" or having a "victim mentality". America wants to disparage the truth so that the truth is not spoken. Like I always say, you have to debit racism to credit black inferiority as a narrative.
As a woman my female ancestors were denied education, employment, civil and legal rights. There are more women in poverty, with less education and as single parents, etc. Is this because of 300+ years of history and should women need to be constantly told their situation is a result of the past in lieu of actual monetary compensation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies