Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 09:06 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
So we have to keep giving preference to blacks until their incomes, employment status, and net worth equals that of whites?

Stop looking entirely outside of your own community for the answer to poverty and unemployment. Black people bear some of the responsibility too, don't you think?

That is what black people were saying for over 300 years. "You have to keep enslaving and discriminating against us for YOUR benefit". The white society LOOKED OUTSIDE their community and found other races to oppress in a form of seesaw economics in which one race is lowered to elevate another race. The white "collective" could not improve the collective by oppressing other whites because the gains of those benefiting from the oppression would be offset by those losing due to being oppressed. Oppressing other races and their resources, allowed for collective uplift of whites. Now, however, you expect other races to lift themselves up totally on their own.....when you did not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 09:13 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
That is what black people were saying for over 300 years. "You have to keep enslaving and discriminating against us for YOUR benefit". This society LOOKED OUTSIDE their community and found other races to oppress in a form of seesaw economics in which one race is lowered to elevate another race. The white "collective" could not improve the collective by oppressing other whites because the gains of those benefiting from the oppression would be offset by those losing due to being oppressed. Oppressing other races and their resources, allowed for collective uplift of whites. Now, however, you expect other races to lift themselves up totally on their own.....when you did not.
Who are you talking to? Plenty of people here lifted themselves up.

I just gave my own family as an example. Uneducated, dirt-poor (legal!) immigrants, and a generation later their kids were in college. And if you don't think there was strong antisemitism in the 40's, think again.

How did they rise above the prejudice? First, they didn't have babies until well into their 20s, after marriage, and studied hard so they would score well on the Regents (NY test) and get paid-for college educations.

Take SOME responsibility. The biggest detriment to educational achievement and consequent financial success among blacks is the high out-of-wedlock birth rate. Correct that, and you'd see a big reduction in poverty.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:15 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politic...ed-by-slavery/

How would reparations work? If you pay the present generation to atone for the sins of the past, what about upcoming generations? Will they get a piece of the action as well? Is this a forever thing?

A Democrat wants to liquidate the treasury, for a problem the Democrats caused. The party of Slavery, the KKK and Jim Crow.
Maybe the Democrats should pay it and leave the rest of us alone.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Who are you talking to? Plenty of people here lifted themselves up.

I just gave my own family as an example. Uneducated, dirt-poor (legal!) immigrants, and a generation later their kids were in college. And if you don't think there was strong antisemitism in the 40's, think again.

How did they rise above the prejudice? First, they didn't have babies until well into their 20s, after marriage, and studied hard so they would score well on the Regents (NY test) and get paid-for college educations.

Take SOME responsibility. The biggest detriment to educational achievement and consequent financial success among blacks is the high out-of-wedlock birth rate. Correct that, and you'd see a big reduction in poverty.

Plenty of blacks here lifted themselves up too.....so who are you talking about? I am talking about "collectives" here. Your personal story does not prove or disprove what is true for the collectives. That would be the fallacy of composition, to try to argue such.

Maybe high out of wedlock birth rates are a symptom of an oppressed population in the US. The rate of black out of wedlock births were 4 or 5 times higher than whites in 1950. Blacks in Africa in the 1600's did not have out of wedlock births at high rates. In other words, its not part of African traditions and culture. It first appeared in those descended from enslaved Africans, AFTER and DURING their racial oppression. After the legal arm of the racial oppression ended with the passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the rate of black out of wedlock birth was already multiple times higher than whites. Since that time, out of wedlock births rates have increased for both blacks and whites, with the white rate now being about 30%, when it was less than 5% in 1950. Show me the decline in white income and wealth or the increase in white rates of poverty that should correlate with a 6 times rate increase in white out of wedlock births? Whites are economically better off now, in terms of incomes and rates of poverty, than when the only had and out of wedlock birth rate of 4%. So I call BS on your theory.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:27 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,273,672 times
So far, I’m encouraged by the Pelosi Congress.

Impeachment Bill
Abolish the Electoral College
Reparations
Immoral to violate Human Rights with a Secure Border
New Commission on Green, abolish Fosil Fuels
No paychecks for Federal Workers

Things are looking up for Speaker Pelosi - LA-LA Land is thrilled.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:36 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Plenty of blacks here lifted themselves up too.....so who are you talking about? I am talking about "collectives" here. Your personal story does not prove or disprove what is true for the collectives. That would be the fallacy of composition, to try to argue such.

Maybe high out of wedlock birth rates are a symptom of an oppressed population in the US. The rate of black out of wedlock births were 4 or 5 times higher than whites in 1950. Blacks in Africa in the 1600's did not have out of wedlock births at high rates. In other words, its not part of African traditions and culture. It first appeared in those descended from enslaved Africans, AFTER and DURING their racial oppression. After the legal arm of the racial oppression ended with the passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the rate of black out of wedlock birth was already multiple times higher than whites. Since that time, out of wedlock births rates have increased for both blacks and whites, with the white rate now being about 30%, when it was less than 5% in 1950. Show me the decline in white income and wealth or the increase in white rates of poverty that should correlate with a 6 times rate increase in white out of wedlock births? Whites are economically better off now, in terms of incomes and rates of poverty, than when the only had and out of wedlock birth rate of 4%. So I call BS on your theory.
Oye vey. Do you know what you just pointed out? That when blacks were MORE oppressed, they had less out-of-wedlock births.

And trying to excuse the horribly high rate - 75%! of babies to an unwed mother - by saying, see.....whites' rates are going up too and are now around 30% isn't helping black people. Try to get the rate down closer to the white rate. You'd see a big drop in poverty.

Again, I say....take SOME responsibility. Restore the stigma to 9th and 10th graders getting pregnant. Emphasize the need to complete high school, and at a minimum follow up with a vocational training program of some sort, and delay the baby thing....and you'd see big improvements.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:52 AM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Quote:

How would reparations work? If you pay the present generation to atone for the sins of the past, what about upcoming generations? Will they get a piece of the action as well? Is this a forever thing?
I have no argument with reparations as a theory. If the slaves were alive and peacefully liberated today, I would strongly be for the government to support them, educate them and to help them get on their feet. It would be the right thing to do. I also believe that Black America was severely damaged by generations of slavery and some of the effects are still with us today.

However, perhaps with the discussion of reparations, the Congresswoman might want to remember that the slaves were not liberated peacefully, it took a Civil War to do it. Financially, the US government spent a fortune during the Civil War - so much so that you can make an argument that reparations have already been paid. Even more so, where is her consideration of the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Union soldiers, most of them boys in their teens and twenties, who died to end slavery? Are the lives of a 20 or 25 year old worth anything? Where is her consideration for reparations for them and their families?

Old 01-04-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Oye vey. Do you know what you just pointed out? That when blacks were MORE oppressed, they had less out-of-wedlock births.

And trying to excuse the horribly high rate - 75%! of babies to an unwed mother - by saying, see.....whites' rates are going up too and are now around 30% isn't helping black people. Try to get the rate down closer to the white rate. You'd see a big drop in poverty.

Again, I say....take SOME responsibility. Restore the stigma to 9th and 10th graders getting pregnant. Emphasize the need to complete high school, and at a minimum follow up with a vocational training program of some sort, and delay the baby thing....and you'd see big improvements.

What I was pointing out is that the GAP between blacks rates and white rates WERE CREATED DURING OPPRESSION. The fact that rates have risen since the passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act is indicative of a change in AMERICAN culture in general.....and not the result of oppression. If the rates had remained flat for every group, except blacks, then it could be argue that the growth of the black rate, since legal oppression, was rooted in blacks. However, since the rates have grown for whites too, who are the "baseline" demographic, that points to the changes since the 60's not being a black issue but an American cultural issue.

One of the cornerstones of scientific methodology is that a theory should be reproducible. If you mix two chemical or elements together and produce a said reaction, then I should be able to mix the two chemical or elements together and get the same reaction. If I can't, then the theory does not hold water. Something else was going on in your experiment that is not accounted for. Ergo, if out of wedlock births are argued as a key cause of black socioeconomic inequality, then increasing rates of out of wedlock births in any population/race should produce the reaction of worsening socioeconomic (income, wealth poverty). However, whites have had a 6 fold increase in out of wedlock births....WITH IMPROVED SOCIOECONOMIC (income, wealth, poverty) for their collective!!!!

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 01-04-2019 at 10:53 AM..

Old 01-04-2019, 09:58 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:

More than 5000 bills are introduced each year. Congress Critters of all stripes tout the bills they introduce as accomplishments. Most bills get no traction and are essentially DOA.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:03 AM

5,984 posts, read 2,239,391 times
I think what is needed is financial literacy education in black communities. The stock market, compound interest, and wealth building are not taught in schools and historically black communities do not have family members that provide this education in the home (at least in my area growing up). I remember my own dad admitting that he didn't know anything about retirement accounts or stocks, he did 27 years in the Air force then double dipped at the Post office for retirement, Mom retired military too so no go there.

I'm near 40 and just started to understand this stuff and invest. I've missed almost 10 years of gains because I had no idea how to get started. I didn't even understand 401k's, when I asked my friends and family they would give vague non-specific answers so I realized none of us knew outside of matching employer contributions.

How do you get on the highway to the American dream when you cant even find the on-ramp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies