Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2019, 12:54 PM

88,983 posts, read 44,799,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
I would imagine that people who need public assistance, if they vote at all, would vote in their own self interest. So they vote for Democrats who have always been more sympathetic to the plight of those who need public assistance.
The vast majority of them are not Republicans, plain and simple. Republicans tend more towards supporting themselves and their dependents while Democrats tend to be society's takers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 01:19 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times
Quote:
No Federal Employee, regardless of circumstance, can decide not to report to work if required to do so. If you do, you have violated the oath and affidavit you signed when you started working for the Federal Government. You have forfeited employment by doing so.

https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf61.pdf
That does not state what you claim it does. I imagine you know that though.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I thought I answered. Yes, I support that. Unfortunately. It's not because I think it's fair to them but because there is no other acceptable alternative available. We can pine about how things should be or could be but as they are now, the choice is either they work with deferred pay or the system becomes unsafe and dysfunctional.
There most certainly is other available options. We could tell the politicians that NO you will not fire them. We can make politicians live under the same laws they create for others. There is no reason at all that they can't agree to pay those doing the job they were hired to do.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:23 PM

1,330 posts, read 698,897 times
Quote:
Yes. Upstate NY. What do you know about Air Traffic Control so that we can have a serious discussion?
Out of curiosity, what was the course of action for flights in the NE corridor? Have them land at JFK/LGA/EWR/PHL/DCA/IAD ASAP, or route them away from the area and land at smaller airports? Given the time of day, I'd assume the only international flights would potentially be from Asia at that time, so customs wouldn't be as big of a priority

Old 01-14-2019, 02:30 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Out of curiosity, what was the course of action for flights in the NE corridor? Have them land at JFK/LGA/EWR/PHL/DCA/IAD ASAP, or route them away from the area and land at smaller airports? Given the time of day, I'd assume the only international flights would potentially be from Asia at that time, so customs wouldn't be as big of a priority

CD has a nice Aviation forum. Just sayin'.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:09 PM

1,991 posts, read 899,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That does not state what you claim it does. I imagine you know that though.
Pretty unambiguous to me. A Federal Employee May not strike against the Government.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The vast majority of them are not Republicans, plain and simple. Republicans tend more towards supporting themselves and their dependents while Democrats tend to be society's takers.
Republicans seem to lie to themselves when it comes down to dependence on the government.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Pretty unambiguous to me. A Federal Employee May not strike against the Government.
Not working because you are not getting paid is not a strike. It's the government violating the agreement, not the other way around. Odd that it seems OK for the government especially since the government would not allow GM to do this.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
When the GI message came off the printer, it said “No One Flies” period. I still have the flight strip it was printed on to this day. Centers started diverting flights to the closest available airports consistent with getting them down from the upper altitudes they where flying at the time. My medium sized airport ,not mentioned in your post, ended up with fourteen unscheduled arrivals in less than thirty minutes. The aircraft were parked all over the airport. In the meantime, as we were dealing with the unscheduled arrivals, we were also dealing with the scheduled traffic as well as General Aviation who were also flying at the time. All pilots were told to land ASAP. Basically, aircraft landed where they could get down safely. When our fighters scrambled, they gave us the basic direction they were going and that was it. Like everyone else in the USA , in the blink of an eye, my day went from normal to unforgettable.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Not working because you are not getting paid is not a strike. It's the government violating the agreement, not the other way around. Odd that it seems OK for the government especially since the government would not allow GM to do this.
The point is you are working for the government. If you are in a excepted position you are expected to work no matter what the circumstances. If there’s a blizzard, you go to work unless you are told not to. If there’s a hurricane and you are scheduled to work, if you are not excused, you leave your family and go to work. If there is a nuclear attack, you are expected to report to work when it’s reasonably possible to do so. If there’s the slow strangulation of a Government Shutdown, you go to work. That’s what’s expected, that’s what you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies