Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2019, 04:42 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,735,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
But you don’t have the right for me to pay for it. You take care of yourself.
You already pay for it. I've told you why in previous posts. You simply choose to ignore it. It's like that kid with his fingers stuck in his ears saying " la la la la la" in an attempt to drown out the truth.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:52 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
You already pay for it. I've told you why in previous posts. You simply choose to ignore it. It's like that kid with his fingers stuck in his ears saying " la la la la la" in an attempt to drown out the truth.
I think the world of The Running Man is T's idealized world

Old 01-13-2019, 01:31 AM

37,138 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Society decides what a "right" is. The more things we classify as a "right" the less freedom we have as individuals. It's a balancing act. The thing everyone seems to ignore is the guaranteed corruption of any humans we put in charge of us so the more freedoms we relinquish in the name of "rights" for all, the sooner society will collapse. It's been playing out this way since life began, yet we still think we can avoid it. We can't.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:35 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Society decides what a "right" is. The more things we classify as a "right" the less freedom we have as individuals. It's a balancing act. The thing everyone seems to ignore is the guaranteed corruption of any humans we put in charge of us so the more freedoms we relinquish in the name of "rights" for all, the sooner society will collapse. It's been playing out this way since life began, yet we still think we can avoid it. We can't.
You mean I can't prevent my own demise, never mind discomfort, by taxing/regulating/generally bullying others?

*pouting*

I refuse to believe it. I'm going to vote harder come 2020 and this time it's going to work!

Old 01-13-2019, 06:43 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I don't think it should be that hard for people to grasp that their rights end where others' begin. Anything that forces one person to serve another can't possible be a "right", but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be encouraged. It's like everyone thinks "if the law doesn't force you to help, that's saying it's okay not to help others."
Exactly. When help is compelled, it's slavery. When it's a voluntary donation, it's charity.

Quote:
I don't have a right to force you to do anything for me, but if I'm in trouble and you refuse to help without a good reason, society should probably shun you for lack of compassion. If you're a jerk, it will come back to haunt you in different ways throughout your life. That said, if I have some people in Washington force you to help me, I'm at fault, because you're not my slave.
Also exactly correct.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
I guess you won’t be needing those “gun rights”, as one isn’t born with a gun.
Flawed analogy. Those exercising their 2nd Amendment rights aren't compelling others to pay for their arms.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
I don't care if it's a right. We can call it a right or not, but everyone eventually needs healthcare to live and life is a right.
We already know that's not true as abortion is a right that kills life.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So you don't own your body, society does?
ALL fascists share that belief.

From Mussolini, who coined the terms and concepts of fascist/fascism:

"Anti-individualistic, the Fascist conception of life stresses the importance of the State and accepts the individual only in so far as his interests coincide with those of the State, which stands for the conscience and the universal, will of man as a historic entity. It is opposed to classical liberalism which arose as a reaction to absolutism and exhausted its historical function when the State became the expression of the conscience and will of the people. Liberalism denied the State in the name of the individual; Fascism reasserts the rights of the State as expressing the real essence of the individual." -Benito Mussolini and Giovanni Gentile, The Doctrine of Fascism, 1923

"For Fascism, society is the end, individuals the means, and its whole life consists in using individuals as instruments for its social ends." - Alfredo Rocco, Mussolini's Minister of Justice, speaking at Perugia, August 30, 1925

Old 01-13-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermomma View Post
I know several medical doctors and nurses who earnestly believe that ACCESS TO QUALITY HEALTHCARE IS A DAMN RIGHT!!!

WHAT IS NOT A RIGHT IS FOR HEALTH CARE INSURERS TO DENY HEALTH INSURANCE AS WAS THE NORM BEFORE OBAMA.
IF YOU NEVER HAD THE PLEASURE OF BEING SELF EMPLOYED AND NEEDING TO BUY YOUR OWN HEALTH INSURANCE WHEN BUSH JR. WAS IN THE OFFICE, YOU HAVE NO IDEA. HEALTH INSURERS DID EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO BLOCK ACCESS TO HEALTH INSURANCE, AND SOLD INFLATED POLICIES THAT WERE WORTHLESS. THEY STILL DO. THEY JUST CANNOT BLOCK PRE EXISTING CONDITIONS. HEALTH INSURERS ANSWER ONLY TO THEIR INVESTORS AND THAT IS A FACT.
You need to understand WHO their investors are. $28 trillion is invested in US workers'/retirees' various forms of pension/retirement accounts. That's the vast majority of investors. The return on those investments is how those pension/retirement accounts increase in value.

U.S. retirement investments at $28 trillion

As a matter of fact, CalPERS (California Public Employee Retirement System), is a union pension plan and the largest institutional investor in the US.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:23 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,538,761 times
They had better die, and decrease the surplus population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies