Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2019, 11:31 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,414,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Actually you would [pay a deductible] and it would be paid every April 15th.
Clarification in square brackets added by me. No, that would be the premium, paid once a year at tax time. At point of delivery, there are no co-pays or deductibles in Canadian healthcare.

Quote:
Canada should ... quit accepting US foreign aid.
Canada does not receive US foreign aid. It receives no aid funding from the US, nor does it receive goods, such as food for the poor. Canada is wealthy enough to look after itself. As for the military, there are no US military bases in Canada providing protection, though Canada has its own military bases, and cooperates as an equal partner with the US in NORAD to defend the North American continent.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:00 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Apparently education is a right for all children, something society provides through taxes as opposed to the parents. People who cannot afford health insurance are paying for someone else's kids school. So maybe health care should be a right too.

Except some of the people who don't want to pay for other people's healthcare either don't have kids or send their kids to private schools.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:02 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Call it a right or not, the point is that quality healthcare should be reasonably accessible by all members of our society - not just those working for corporations, those who won the lottery, those who happened to get rich, etc. Apparently conservatives abhor this.

And yes, there are plenty of rights that have to be provided to you or safeguarded by someone else. You may believe that you have some God-given "Natural Law" right to equality or happiness or whatever, but the reality is that other humans in society have to buy into it, invest in it, and even defend it with their lives for you to have it.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
This statement and your viewpoint are immoral and repulsive in my opinion^^^ Denying healthcare to those who don't happen to have a fat bank account is as heartless as it gets

That's right...in your opinion.

What is or isn't heartless also differs with each person. What you feel is heartless only represents your opinion re what is heartless.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:10 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,414,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I was recently in Canada on business and my counterpart I was working with there was suffering from a hernia.

I took the occasion to ask him about his counrty's health care system.

He said he was going to have to wait four months for his surgery, but that was ok because it gave him time to save up the $4000 that was his share of the cost.

Apparently the "free healthcare" in Canada ain't so free....
Hernia. That told me all I need to know to disprove your colleague's claim. First of all, see here:

https://www.shouldice.com/

Shouldice Hospital, just a ways north of Toronto, Ontario, is one of the top (if not the top) hospitals in the world for hernia repair. That's all it does--hernias. Thing is, Shouldice has been private since its inception--while pretty much all hospitals in Ontario and Canada are also private, as non-profit corporations, Shouldice is not. It's been around for years; since before single-payer healthcare was a thing. Afterwards, it would have to adhere to the government health insurance plan's schedule of benefits for medical procedures, but it was free to make money in other ways.

Ontario residents covered by OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan) can get a hernia repair at Shouldice at no out-of-pocket charge (see their FAQs). But if they would like a little better experience--say, a semi-private room--there will be an extra charge. Supplementary insurance, such as is offered by many employers, may or may not cover that charge. Similarly, if the patient wants other frills not covered by provincial healthcare insurance, there will be an extra charge. I'm guessing that this is what your colleague is aiming for--a better-than-normal experience at Shouldice, rather than what he could get at Toronto General, or North York General or Toronto Western, or wherever, at no out-of-pocket cost; and he has no supplementary insurance. Not uncommon here in Canada; many Canadians do not buy, or get supplementary insurance from an employer, to cover such things.

In other words, it is his choice to pay the $4000. If he is an Ontario resident covered by OHIP, he need not pay anything out-of-pocket to Shouldice. But it seems to me that he wants the frills offered by Shouldice.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 01-12-2019 at 12:55 AM..

Old 01-12-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Look in the mirror to see the maker of an uninformed comment.

Universal access to healthcare should a be right in all civilized nations, but that doesn't mean that the actual provision of healthcare is being forced on anyone.

I might be wrong, but I think he means that his tax money helps pay for Medicaid, and that Medicaid shouldn't exist.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:37 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It's my right...
You have the right to....
Healthcare is a right...
College is a right....

Is it really a right, if someone else has to do it for you?
Can I force you to provide a right to me?
Or, do rights deal with Natural Law and things you can provide for yourself?

Interesting to see the diverse viewpoints to come.....

Popcorn please!
Other people have to provide you with your rights all the time.

You think you have some God-given right to liberty, equality, and pursuit of happiness. It's not God who is giving you that; it's people in the form of collective investment into those ideals. If nobody had to give you anything for it, we wouldn't need a military with people willing to put their lives on the line to protect your rights.

And with healthcare, it should be accessible to all members of society. Call it what you want.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:15 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I might be wrong, but I think he means that his tax money helps pay for Medicaid, and that Medicaid shouldn't exist.
Why shouldn't Medicaid exist? Because poor people shouldn't get any healthcare? ....

Old 01-12-2019, 08:18 AM

20,115 posts, read 9,032,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Call it a right or not, the point is that quality healthcare should be reasonably accessible by all members of our society - not just those working for corporations, those who won the lottery, those who happened to get rich, etc. Apparently conservatives abhor this.

And yes, there are plenty of rights that have to be provided to you or safeguarded by someone else. You may believe that you have some God-given "Natural Law" right to equality or happiness or whatever, but the reality is that other humans in society have to buy into it, invest in it, and even defend it with their lives for you to have it.
WAiting 2 years for a hip replacement is not qualify healthcare.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:21 AM

20,115 posts, read 9,032,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Hernia. That told me all I need to know to disprove your colleague's claim. First of all, see here:

https://www.shouldice.com/

Shouldice Hospital, just a ways north of Toronto, Ontario, is one of the top (if not the top) hospitals in the world for hernia repair. That's all it does--hernias. Thing is, Shouldice has been private since its inception--while pretty much all hospitals in Ontario and Canada are also private, as non-profit corporations, Shouldice is not. It's been around for years; since before single-payer healthcare was a thing. Afterwards, it would have to adhere to the government health insurance plan's schedule of benefits for medical procedures, but it was free to make money in other ways.

Ontario residents covered by OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan) can get a hernia repair at Shouldice at no out-of-pocket charge (see their FAQs). But if they would like a little better experience--say, a semi-private room--there will be an extra charge. Supplementary insurance, such as is offered by many employers, may or may not cover that charge. Similarly, if the patient wants other frills not covered by provincial healthcare insurance, there will be an extra charge. I'm guessing that this is what your colleague is aiming for--a better-than-normal experience at Shouldice, rather than what he could get at Toronto General, or North York General or Toronto Western, or wherever, at no out-of-pocket cost; and he has no supplementary insurance. Not uncommon here in Canada; many Canadians do not buy, or get supplementary insurance from an employer, to cover such things.

In other words, it is his choice to pay the $4000. If he is an Ontario resident covered by OHIP, he need not pay anything out-of-pocket to Shouldice. But it seems to me that he wants the frills offered by Shouldice.
Hernia operations are now done as outpatient surgery in the US today in many cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies