Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 08:55 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...r-work-n959401

She will only receive a fraction of that amount, but still quite a bit.

Who says Christianity is under attack?
Why did she find a job where she’s not working on Sundays?? The judge is an idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 09:15 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Why did she find a job where she’s not working on Sundays?? The judge is an idiot.
The answer to your question can be found in the article.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:34 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
per the article--

. . . she informed her employer from the beginning of her employment that she could not work Sundays because of her religious beliefs.
And, they initially agreed to not schedule her to work on Sundays then reneged on their part of the agreement.

She deserved to win.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So this is really a lawsuit about breach of contract?
Yes.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
So? If the job requires an employee to work Sundays, than maybe she shouldn't have applied. Religion shouldn't be a protected class because it is a matter of choice, unlike race, color, sex and national origin, and she shouldn't be entitled to special treatment because of her beliefs.
Doesn't matter whether she should have applied or not.
The employer agreed to the terms when she was hired.

The end.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagurl View Post
Bottom line, they hired her when she stated that she couldn't (or wouldn't) work on Sundays.

They accommodated her for 6 years. Thus, this wasn't an issue for the company at all to schedule her every week with Sundays off - or allowed her to switch days with another co-worker.

New manager came in and forced her to work on Sundays. Sorry, this is on the company. If she was a dishwasher, pretty sure they could have found another one . . . at the beginning . . . who didn't have an issue working on Sundays. "Thank you for applying maam, but we really do rotate our employees to work on all 7 days of the week." How simple was that?

Good for her to sue them. Next time, perhaps, they'll make their employment conditions crystal clear.
This, exactly.

It's very interesting to me how so many posters in this thread seem to believe that the employer had no responsibility to uphold the original agreement, an agreement that was entirely voluntary on their part.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am a Christian and I think this is ridiculous.

I think first, she needs to prove damage. what does she lose? Hurt feeling?

I think this country's justice of law is under attack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Me either. I think religious belief should be kept private.

Like a penis, if I want it shoved down my throat, I would ask. Otherwise, please keep it to yourself.

As a employee, all you need is to figure out if you can do the job. If you cannot, find another job That is it.

Nobody needs to accommodate your religious beliefs. The idea itself is ridiculous.

I don't blame the person because everybody enjoys free money. If I knew I could do that, I would be the first one to sue. Hey, I am only human. since we cannot change human nature, we can certainly change our rules and laws.

Let's make it fair, this person please proves his or her damages, what does he/she lose exactly? Hurt feelings? come on now. Maybe pay him/her $150 for a decent counseling session, that is all. sheesh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Me too.

Nor did I agree with the Muslim waiter that refused to serve pork, etc etc.

I expect we will now see more of these as well.

Sigh.

Just do your job OR find one that works for you, your schedule, and your religious beliefs.

Missing the point.

The employer agreed to her request to not work on Sundays. They upheld their part of the agreement for years.
Yes, she asked for Sundays off because she attends church but she could have just as easily asked for Mondays off because she has a kid that plays travel baseball.

People want to make this about religion and it is NOT about religion.
It is about the employer accommodating an employee's request, then changing the rules of employment and firing the employee because of a situation that the employer created.

Not sure why this is so hard for people to understand.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:56 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times
In many jobs you can be fired for any reason--or no reason at all.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
So they broke a mutual agreement. Good for her. Too many employers think they can do whatever they want. That's why it's always best to be in a position of F You.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
So you have no problem with an employer who breaks a mutual agreement?
Is it because you think lying is good for a relationship?
And this.

Finally, someone who gets it!

Old 01-18-2019, 09:58 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And, they initially agreed to not schedule her to work on Sundays then reneged on their part of the agreement.

She deserved to win.

Things change. My job has totally changed in the past 10 years including hours worked.

Should I sue my employer?

Guarantee they will appeal.

Quote:
In many jobs you can be fired for any reason--or no reason at all.
In any right to work state they can fire you if they don't lke the color of your socks.

So NO I don't see this as any slam dunk win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies