Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2019, 07:15 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
"On Feb. 19, 2018, President Donald Trump released his proposed 2019 fiscal year budget, beginning Oct. 1, 2018. In his proposal, President Trump allocates $23 million to be invested in expanding the E-Verify program to mandatory nationwide use."

https://www.govdocs.com/mandatory-e-...dget-proposal/
1. Budget doesn't make law.
2. Here is a CBO estimate for what a Texas Lawmaker has proposed (national e-verify).

"State Rep. Lamar Smith of Texas has long championed a national E-Verify law.

In total, the CBO estimated that Smith’s bill “would increase budget deficits as measured by the unified federal budget by about $30 billion over the 10-year period.”

23 million? Nationwide? What does Texas get, like enough to buy one McMansion?

Hey, I'm with you. I support even the 30 Billion. Let's do it but not fool ourselves that it can happen in a Trump budget fake.....

Real things cost money. But remember that Texan Businesspeople are saying they will lose many BILLIONS if such a system is put into place and enforced. Don't you think their lobbying groups are going to be active?

Texas has a lot of money. They could put a billion into it for a 2 year plan and not even notice it. The Federal System is already active and will be kept up and improved. Win Win.

All they have to do is move on it.

This is the problem I see with many Trumpies. They value symbolism and idolatry over reality. Trump does everything in the easiest (and least effective) way...like throwing a tiny number into a budget. Then they accept that as "the solution" when, in fact, it's not even 1/100th of the funds needed.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
What does the pay scale for illegal immigrants have to do with the fact that illegal immigrants are not supposed to be here working?

If Texas were to implement strict e-Verify amd make it impossible for illegals to find work, they aren't going back to Mexico, they are simply going to other states.
Pay scale has to do with the pressure from business in Texas to keep the status quo. Business there celebrates downward pressure on wages, which affects Americans MORE than the immigrants. Many of you claim you don't want America to be "like Central America" but then you ask why it's relevant for Texas and Florida to put downward pressure on wages for ALL Americans.

I disagree with your premise. There is never a perfect solution for any large economic or political problem. Eliminating the "low hanging fruit" (lows of low-wage jobs REAL close by) would definitely move the needle.

I have no doubt about it...and I am usually right about such things (not perfect, but even my wife of 45 years says I bat 95% or higher).

Just like with Pot and Gay Marraige, if Texas did it then other states would follow. As you probably know, the states near there are BIG on Ag and Meat-packing and use tremendous amounts of immigrant labor. Most claim to be "conservative" also. So why wouldn't they follow?

Old 01-19-2019, 07:21 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
"On Feb. 19, 2018, President Donald Trump released his proposed 2019 fiscal year budget, beginning Oct. 1, 2018. In his proposal, President Trump allocates $23 million to be invested in expanding the E-Verify program to mandatory nationwide use."

https://www.govdocs.com/mandatory-e-...dget-proposal/
Why didn't he shut down the government to get it? Where did that demand go?

Old 01-19-2019, 07:23 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Why do people pretend e-verify doesn't exist? Every employer has to file I-9 for new hires. It's the law. Don't try to trade it for the wall.
There are millions working without them. How does that work?

Old 01-19-2019, 07:41 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
This was bandied about by Darth Cheney toward the end of the Bush administration. Can we expect a threat to what passes for a democracy every time we elect a republican anywhere?

Old 01-19-2019, 07:51 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
https://www.dailyherald.com/business...al-immigration

You know, the one the Dems didn't like. He listed e-verify in addition to the wall, and he was willing to give the Dems their DACA...and yet they still threw a fit.

All of you carrying on about e-verify, ask your Dem leaders why they played around with Trump's request and wanted to spread that money out over such a long period of time that it would have been killed the second he was out of office, (you know it, the Dem leaders knew it), and yet we still have people on here claiming that Trump hasn't negotiated at all. The hell he hasn't.
Hmm. wrong. Trump never gave DACA.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:03 PM

The pundits are saying....only pundits and republican leadership even watched or listened......

They are also saying, and I agree, that if Trump had actually went about this in the time-honored way and met with the House Leadership and other important parties, the deal may have been close to floating.

That's the BIG problem with Trump. He walks out, insults you and then asks you to make a deal with him.....behind your back! That's not the way other human beings work.

If Trump cared about Public Safety and all that stuff (imagine flying....with this snowstorm and TSA agents not getting paid, etc.)....he wouldn't be playing these games. He is obviously just wanting to save face at this point - we aren't getting an instant 25-50 Billion dollar Wall that Mexico is writing a check for.

But he is poor negotiator and I honestly think his "advisors" like Jared border on mentally ill (let alone terribly business people and unpatriotic Americans)....

Although I shudder to say this, Pence and McConnel and Chuck and Nancy should be ASKED...by the POTUS...to meet on a certain schedule (say both Mon and Tues) and come up with a couple serious proposals. The key is TRUMP CANNOT BE INVOLVED. The proposals should focus on what can be done AFTER the shutdown because giving in to a shutdown would be a bad precedent for the history of our nation.

That's really the only way I see out of it. TRUMP would prefer the entire nation, stock market and world economy to fail before he can admit he's not all powerful.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:09 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
So when are the tanks rolling in? Does anyone know?

Old 01-19-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Why do people pretend e-verify doesn't exist? Every employer has to file I-9 for new hires. It's the law. Don't try to trade it for the wall.
I9 is NOT e-Verify.

"The Internet-based program is free and maintained by the United States government. Use of E-Verify at the state level varies; some states have mandated use of E-Verify or similar programs, while others have discouraged the program.

E-Verify compares information from an employee's Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 to data from U.S. government records."

Believe me, Tyson foods and big ag and construction know how to get around all of this....easily. Remember, even if Employers in Texas don't use E-Verify when it's law (for state contracts), there is STILL no penalty or enforcement program. That's laughable. "Hey, break the law and make millions more and we will....do nothing".

Old 01-19-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
So when are the tanks rolling in? Does anyone know?
Tanks of Nitrous Oxide are not needed as we are already laughing too hard at the title of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.