Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 08:55 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,044,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixlets82 View Post
Actually the top reasons cited by women who have had abortions are Financial insecurity, relationship problems and conflict with work/school schedules. All of which could very well cause a woman to decide at the last minute that she just doesn't want the baby due to any of those reasons, not saying that's the case 100% of the time but at least in the studies done these were the top reasons cited for abortions, nothing was ever mentioned about weight gain, psychical discomfort or fear/pain of delivery.
But read about it -- doctors do not support women coming in and wanting to abort a healthy, late term fetus.

They don't do it.

Same way they don't do some surgeries just because someone asks for it and even if it is legal.

And as for abortions early on --used as a form of birth control -- what better way to impact those people than keeping this out in the open.

If you send it back to the underground you don't stop women from having abortions...you created more women dying from complications. You take away the platform.

Abortions have always existed -- it isn't a new concept.....they will happen legal or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 09:20 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
This doesn't make any sense, if the mother isn't expected to survive the delivery then how in the world is a late term abortion going to help in that case...there is still a fully formed baby that will need to be removed after it is killed. (even if they need to do a C-section to remove the baby after it is killed how would this be any different then a C-section to deliver the baby alive?) If the baby has died in the womb then an abortion would not be necessary I.E the baby has already died and can't be killed again. Perhaps in the scenario that the baby is considered non-viable but I don't see how, if the mother is getting regular medical care during pregnancy, some type of fatal abnormality would not be discovered until right before the birth. My daughter was diagnosed with hydronephrosis, which is easily fixed with surgery, at my 4 month U/S, taking into consideration that I was in the military and this was diagnosed with basic medical equipment at the base hospital I can't really think of any excuses as to why much better doctors I.E civilian Drs with better equipment would not be able to diagnose a fatal abnormality long before birth...unless they are just incompetent or lazy.
You could read up a little. There are life threatening situations during pregnancy, which can lead to the mothers death, unless urgent action is taken. For example, the fetus can become partially detached from the uterus, which can cause massive bleeding. There is also an example of a brave expecting mother who was diagnosed with cancer. She was told treatment was available, but it would result in the death of the fetus. She chose to reject the treatment, and gave birth to the baby later, but by then it was too late to save her. She died in order to give birth to her baby.

And sometimes the babies are simply not viable.

Fortunately only 1.4% of abortions are done late-term, which suggests they are done only on emergency bases.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:29 AM

37,119 posts, read 41,316,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Of course not. If you read my other posts in this thread you'll see I'm so pro abortion it would make Margaret Sanger herself give me the side eye. At least when it comes to the first trimester. Although I wouldn't call it "accidentally pregnant". I'd call it reckless, thoughtless or impulsive conception. There is fault involved after all.
Half the women who seek abortion were using contraception in the cycle in which they conceived. No method is foolproof, including sterilization.

Quote:
This doesn't make any sense, if the mother isn't expected to survive the delivery then how in the world is a late term abortion going to help in that case...there is still a fully formed baby that will need to be removed after it is killed. (even if they need to do a C-section to remove the baby after it is killed how would this be any different then a C-section to deliver the baby alive?) If the baby has died in the womb then an abortion would not be necessary I.E the baby has already died and can't be killed again. Perhaps in the scenario that the baby is considered non-viable but I don't see how, if the mother is getting regular medical care during pregnancy, some type of fatal abnormality would not be discovered until right before the birth. My daughter was diagnosed with hydronephrosis, which is easily fixed with surgery, at my 4 month U/S, taking into consideration that I was in the military and this was diagnosed with basic medical equipment at the base hospital I can't really think of any excuses as to why much better doctors I.E civilian Drs with better equipment would not be able to diagnose a fatal abnormality long before birth...unless they are just incompetent or lazy.
You are assuming every pregnant woman seeks prenatal care before the third trimester. Unfortunately that is not true.

Folks here seem to be conflating late term abortion for fatal fetal anomalies with late term abortion for maternal indications. Delivery of a baby with anomalies is no riskier for the mother than delivery of one without. The law under consideration gives the parents the option of aborting a third trimester fetus that is going to die anyway. The decision to do that lies with the parents after careful consideration of the alternatives.

If the mother has an urgent medical problem and needs to be delivered of an otherwise healthy fetus, even if there is a significant risk that the fetus might die due to immaturity, the law prevents prosecution for doing an illegal abortion. Every effort will be made to save those babies after they are born.

Quote:
Actually the top reasons cited by women who have had abortions are Financial insecurity, relationship problems and conflict with work/school schedules. All of which could very well cause a woman to decide at the last minute that she just doesn't want the baby due to any of those reasons, not saying that's the case 100% of the time but at least in the studies done these were the top reasons cited for abortions, nothing was ever mentioned about weight gain, physical discomfort or fear/pain of delivery.
Those are reasons for elective abortions within the legal time frame for doing them.

You will not find a doctor willing to perform a third trimester abortion for those reasons. The mother has to have a serious medical condition or the fetus be so damaged it cannot survive.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:31 AM

2,419 posts, read 2,992,047 times
Quote:
Actually the top reasons cited by women who have had abortions are Financial insecurity, relationship problems and conflict with work/school schedules. All of which could very well cause a woman to decide at the last minute that she just doesn't want the baby due to any of those reasons, not saying that's the case 100% of the time but at least in the studies done these were the top reasons cited for abortions, nothing was ever mentioned about weight gain, physical discomfort or fear/pain of delivery.
Financially insecure women don't pay $25,000 for a late term abortion.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:36 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,639,726 times
I have a friend who aborted her baby when she was almost 8 month pregnant. Why? She and her husband had a divorce. She had her abortion in China, and she is a Chinese woman with a green card in the United States.

I don't judge ANY women who choose to have an abortion and I have a mixed feeling about the topic of abortion. I don't think there is an easy or simple answer to every situation, but I think choosing abortion late term when the baby and the woman herself are perfectly healthy is just sad.

All these blah blah being said, I still don't want to make the decision for that woman. Her body, her choice. She needs to suffer from the consequences of her action, it is not for me to say or judge.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:50 AM

37,119 posts, read 41,316,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I have a friend who aborted her baby when she was almost 8 month pregnant. Why? She and her husband had a divorce. She had her abortion in China, and she is a Chinese woman with a green card in the United States.

I don't judge ANY women who choose to have an abortion and I have a mixed feeling about the topic of abortion. I don't think there is an easy or simple answer to every situation, but I think choosing abortion late term when the baby and the woman herself are perfectly healthy is just sad.

All these blah blah being said, I still don't want to make the decision for that woman. Her body, her choice. She needs to suffer from the consequences of her action, it is not for me to say or judge.
No doctor in the US would do what she wanted, then or now. Right?

Old 01-30-2019, 09:52 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,758,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Half the women who seek abortion were using contraception in the cycle in which they conceived. No method is foolproof, including sterilization.
I'm glad you said "foolproof" instead of "100% effective" or something like that. BC is not 100% effective but when used properly it is near enough. But there are a lot of fools out there and I don't want to pay to raise their children.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:04 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,850,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Late-term abortions are almost always done for the health of the mother or due to fetal abnormalities. I say "almost" because just about the only late-term abortion I've heard of that wasn't in that category was a 13 year old girl whose parents wouldn't approve an abortion after she was raped by her brother. It took months for her to get emancipated from her parents and at that point it was late term.

They cost ~$25,000. Do you really, REALLY think women just sit around until 6, 7, 8+ months and then decide to have a very expensive, invasive procedure for funsies? Or do you think they've developed some awful health condition or their fetus has severe abnormalities that are incompatible with life that result in a tragic medical decision being made for the family?
Try reading some real facts on the subject instead of just spewing what you want people to believe to sear their conscious.

It is murder. They kill the baby then mommy delivers deads baby.

FROM THE BLAZE:

"Most egregiously, the bill would allow third trimester abortions if a physician believes the child would even impair a woman's mental health. The bill states:

The bill eliminates the requirement that two other physicians certify that a third trimester abortion is necessary to prevent the woman's death or impairment of her mental or physical health, as well as the need to find that any such impairment to the woman's health would be substantial and irremediable.
On Monday, Tran, in an exchange with Virginia House of Delegates Majority Leader Todd Gilbert (R), openly admitted the bill would permit abortions up to 40 weeks, the length of an average pregnancy.

Gilbert asked: "How late in the third trimester could a physician perform an abortion if he indicated it would impair the mental health of the woman?"

Tran responded: "I mean, through the third trimester. The third trimester goes all the way up to 40 weeks."

To clarify, Gilbert asked if that means the "end of the third trimester," to which Tran said: "Yes. I don't think we have a limit in the bill."

Tran later admitted the bill would permit an "abortion" even as a woman is in labor about to deliver her child."

https://www.theblaze.com/news/virgin...abortion-birth

Last edited by 4dognight; 01-30-2019 at 10:16 AM..

Old 01-30-2019, 10:07 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,639,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No doctor in the US would do what she wanted, then or now. Right?
That would be my assumption.

Which is why, this bill puzzles me. I think context, term and condition matters, I couldn't find the term and condition in this article. If no American doctors would perform late term abortion when the woman and the baby are all perfectly healthy, why passing such a bill?

As for now,the "law" says even after fetal viability, states may not prohibit abortions “necessary to preserve the life or health” of the woman;
“health” in this context includes physical and mental health; Although the vast majority of states restrict later-term abortions, many of these restrictions have been struck down. Most often, courts have voided the limitations because they do not contain a health exception; contain an unacceptably narrow health exception; or do not permit a physician to determine viability in each individual case, but rather rely on a rigid construct based on specific weeks of gestation or trimester.

So even for now, late term abortion is not 100% illegal if the woman and baby's health is in jeopardy.

That is why I wonder why passing such a law is even necessary? Maybe posters here can explain this bill for us a little.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:16 AM

36,575 posts, read 30,907,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Here she is trying to make her case for her bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMFzZ5I30dg
Funny how it puts a different spin on things when we hear "the rest of the story".
The requirements she proposes to be lifted sound reasonable to me. The bill really isnt to allow abortions up until birth now is it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies