Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 12:24 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Can I ask how old your "clump of cells" were at the time. I saw on ultrasound that my "clump of cells" had this little flashing light.
3 weeks at the ultrasound. 4 weeks for the vacuum. This was while taking Birth Control regularly - never missed one.

And because of complications with my first pregnancy, it is AMA for me to have another child. That clump of cells would most likely leave my daughter without her mother. And that's not even saying I could carry long enough (before things get bad) for the clump of cells to become a viable baby.

Not worth the risk, in my opinion.

But to anyone who saw me going in, they would probably deduct that I was 16 (or so I'm told I look around that age...) going to the abortion clinic with my boyfriend because we made a stupid decision. What they wouldn't see is the medical documentation, the ring on my finger, the wedding plans in the car, etc.

None of this changes the fact that the cost of abortion is a lot cheaper than the cost of supporting the unwanted child.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:34 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
You stop a beating heart every time you buy some chicken wings. Merely having a heart doesn't make somebody a subject-of-a-life, worthy of ethical concern. In fact you could live without a heart and still be a subject-of-a-life in the ethical sense.
That is an absolutely ridiculous argument.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think we're doing what we can right now. Talking about this issue, listening to what the other side thinks, what their concerns are. I certainly agree that abortion should be the last choice, and that many of the reasons women choose to have an abortion are due to our society's problems. We need to make daycare far more affordable and available, we need to make birth control cheaper and easier to obtain, and we need to do a better job of explaining to people how to use various birth control methods properly and effectively. We need to make it easier for women to work and to be mothers without penalizing the women who don't have children. How do we achieve these things, I don't know. But talking about it and not labeling people as immoral or bad because their lives are different from ours, by listening and hearing what issues face pregnant mothers without judging them, by respecting people and empathizing with them, trying to connect with people instead of trying to persuade them that we are right, that's the right track in my opinion.
A rep point to you!
I think you are right on the money......quality day care alone would lift a lot of womens burdens, as would affordable birth control. I don't know why some women have a hard time understanding its use? Perhaps their age? At any rate, any clinic giving it out should spend as much time as needed with those girls to make sure they understand the proper usage. It really is in everybodys best interest, most especially the girls.
I imagine that if more people would listen and actually hear everybodys side of the argument, a lot more could be accomplished.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:05 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
That is an absolutely ridiculous argument.
No, actually meat eaters do kill to eat. And we are omnivorous, meaning we eat both vegetable products and meat products.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
No, actually meat eaters do kill to eat. And we are omnivorous, meaning we eat both vegetable products and meat products.
Unlike perhaps you, the rest of us do not kill other humans for food thus the argument is unfounded.

Last edited by camping!; 04-10-2008 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 04-10-2008, 01:27 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Quote:
Unlike perhaps you, the rest of us do not kill other humans for food thus the argument is unfounded.
The argument is against "killing"...isn't it? Don't we murder millions of animals BRED solely for food? Why is it any more acceptable to kill animals than people? Life is life.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:33 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,145,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
3 weeks at the ultrasound. 4 weeks for the vacuum. This was while taking Birth Control regularly - never missed one.

And because of complications with my first pregnancy, it is AMA for me to have another child. That clump of cells would most likely leave my daughter without her mother. And that's not even saying I could carry long enough (before things get bad) for the clump of cells to become a viable baby.

Not worth the risk, in my opinion.

But to anyone who saw me going in, they would probably deduct that I was 16 (or so I'm told I look around that age...) going to the abortion clinic with my boyfriend because we made a stupid decision. What they wouldn't see is the medical documentation, the ring on my finger, the wedding plans in the car, etc.

None of this changes the fact that the cost of abortion is a lot cheaper than the cost of supporting the unwanted child.
I respect your story and the way you tell it. I think you may call it a "clump of cells" because it makes it easier to bear what you felt you had to do. If you thought of it as
your child you might not have been able to go through with it and you might greive for it still. I'm sorry for your circumstances and your loss. Truly.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:35 PM

269 posts, read 812,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
We all know a that all the pro-lifers and religious people are just going to justify that behavior by saying something like "God made animals for us to eat... So it's ok.." Oh and the inevitable... "Well that's different."

So no need for people to argue this same pro-life vs. pro-choice debate over and over again. (Or bring religion into it LIKE ALWAYS)

I personally would like to choose that my money doesn't fund this stupid war we're in, but hey... I'll get a million people who don't share my opinion in that topic as well.

Let's face it people. We are all different. No one's right. And no one's wrong. We just have OUR own OPINIONS in every topic. People just need to get over arguing pointless and endless topics like pro-life vs. pro-choice, war vs. no war, democat vs. republicans... God vs. no God... People spend so much of their time arguing their beliefs that they stir up all this unneeded hate and prejudice. Then everyone wonders why the world's gone to sh*t.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I think you may call it a "clump of cells" because it makes it easier to bear what you felt you had to do.
And that's exactly the reason why people should lay off those who choose to get it done. Apparently, if you KNOW they're hurting inside and trying to shove PAIN and guilt deep in the back of their mind, then it's apparent they don't need people shoving that hurt back in their face.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Killing is killing. For food, or for pleasure, you're still killing an animal to survive. Anyone who uses the above argument is trying to justify their eating animals saying it's ok because [put religious or biblical, EXCUSE here].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies