Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2008, 09:08 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
You keep ducking choice.
Animals will abandon their young, not care for those who they feel aren't going to "make it". You've heard, perhaps, of the black sheep?

Old 04-10-2008, 09:08 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
I don't think that's an accurate description of the effectiveness of birth control methods. A 99% effective method is defined as 1 out of 100 women getting pregnant during the first year of its use. A big deal if you're the one but statically speaking, 99% is pretty effective BC.
99% is pretty effective, but chances are I'll have sex more than 100 times in my life (or one can hope!). Genetically, I come from a line of very fertile women. I'm not all that unusual as American females go, so being sexually active entails a strong possibility of having an unwanted pregnancy, even if you are 100% responsible about properly using birth control.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Do pro-deathers simply want the poor to be eradicated?
I don't want there to be any poor people...perhaps that can be accomplished by getting rid of the rich instead.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
The law of the land is clear. One commits murder of a human and/or fetus if he/she kills with "malice aforethought." Of course, there are caveats that murder does not apply during abortion, by a physician or is consented to by the mother.

An utter illogical position. . . but the killing of innocent life isn't logical; only convenient and barbaric.
Is the death penalty acceptable to you? Is killing in "self-defense" acceptable to you?

If so, what makes THOSE cases any different?

Old 04-10-2008, 09:15 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,644,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Of course you are right, as the matter stands today many birthmothers who place their children for adoption are middle-class (though middle-class covers a wide swath of economic situations), but my point is that if you stop legal abortions, affluent women will still manage to get them, and that it is the poorer women who will be denied this choice, that will be forced to either raise unwanted children in economically challenged households or to put those babies up for adoption. And yes, everyone has a story to tell, and I think it's great that there are people willing to listen.

I don't think legal abortion will ever be outlawed.
I do think that the perameters will shrink as to what is considered to be a viable life gets younger and younger. And perhaps that is the way it should be. Abortion should be the last choice, it shouldn't be used as a method of birth control....and luckily most who have had it don't view it as such.

When people start in with the knee jerk "your a fetus lover woman hater" and "you'll burn in hell" type of arguments, well where does that get us exactly? Nowhere. And most people don't belong in either of those two extreme camps. I think that most people would agree the world would be a better place if women had no reason to undergo abortions. Sadly, that is not this world. The challenge is to figure out how to cut down on the number of abortions either through more effective and easier to get birth control, or ...or what I don't know.....what would you propose?

Old 04-10-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Animals will abandon their young, not care for those who they feel aren't going to "make it". You've heard, perhaps, of the black sheep?
People have risen above their animalistic instincts.....perhaps you have heard of societal norms?
At any rate, this discussion is about abortion, not how animals deal with handicapped offspring, not with euthanasia and certainly not with killing off the rich.

I do believe the PerezHilton blog misses you.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:25 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
To avoid beating the definition of convenience to death, what percentage of abortions are due to life-threatening, incest/rape or unborn medical issues. Less than 10%?

Went back and found this: 10% sounds exactly right.
Reasons given for having abortions in the United States
What if it's a Catholic woman, her husband won't allow her to use birth control, she's already got five children, one of them is developmentally challenged, their budget is stretched thin already, but more than that, she doesn't think she can handle one more, emotionally she's tapped out. Not a case of incest/rape or unborn medical issues. Convenience?

What if it's an unmarried girl in the bible belt? Her boss invites "his girls" to his Baptist Church every week. She's told him she's Presbyterian, but still he keeps asking. He likes to think that the "girls" he employs (they aren't "women" until they get married) are all saving themselves for marriage, they're all good girls. The last single girl that got pregnant in the office had a bad time of it, he started writing her up every time she turned around until he fired her. He'll fire her for sure if he finds out she had an abortion, but better to be unemployed without a baby than with.

What if it's a young woman, just married, worried that she made a mistake? She loves her young husband, but he's changed since they got married. They are having lots of fights, she's not sure they can work it out, he's told her he doesn't want to have children for five years until they're more established. She's not sure they'll even make it one year, now, they're fighting so much. He doesn't want this baby, what can she do?

Convenience is a pro-life characterization. The stories behind abortions are much more complicated, they happen in the real world, not in high-minded philosophical discussions of morality.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
People have risen above their animalistic instincts.....perhaps you have heard of societal norms?
At any rate, this discussion is about abortion, not how animals deal with handicapped offspring, not with euthanasia and certainly not with killing off the rich.

I do believe the PerezHilton blog misses you.
And we're the worse off for it. Hardly any other animal kills solely for pleasure...except for humans.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:32 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't want there to be any poor people...perhaps that can be accomplished by getting rid of the rich instead.
An absurd statement on its face -- and thus consistent with your recent string of worthless posts.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
What if it's a Catholic woman, her husband won't allow her to use birth control, she's already got five children, one of them is developmentally challenged, their budget is stretched thin already, but more than that, she doesn't think she can handle one more, emotionally she's tapped out. Not a case of incest/rape or unborn medical issues. Convenience?

What if it's an unmarried girl in the bible belt? Her boss invites "his girls" to his Baptist Church every week. She's told him she's Presbyterian, but still he keeps asking. He likes to think that the "girls" he employs (they aren't "women" until they get married) are all saving themselves for marriage, they're all good girls. The last single girl that got pregnant in the office had a bad time of it, he started writing her up every time she turned around until he fired her. He'll fire her for sure if he finds out she had an abortion, but better to be unemployed without a baby than with.

What if it's a young woman, just married, worried that she made a mistake? She loves her young husband, but he's changed since they got married. They are having lots of fights, she's not sure they can work it out, he's told her he doesn't want to have children for five years until they're more established. She's not sure they'll even make it one year, now, they're fighting so much. He doesn't want this baby, what can she do?

Convenience is a pro-life characterization. The stories behind abortions are much more complicated, they happen in the real world, not in high-minded philosophical discussions of morality.

I'm not picking apart your arguments, as I do believe that everyone has a story to tell. And you are right, for a lot of women its complicated.

But lets leave off the Catholic thing, I mean are you Catholic? Do you knw any Catholics? Have you been to a Catholic church? I am, I do, and I have. There are very few Catholics with more then three kids. All Catholic women that I know use birth control or had their husbands get vasectomies. I know of not a single Catholic husband who 'forbids' his wife to use birth control I'm sorry, but that example is just wrong and more then a little insulting. And lets face it, their are A****le husbands of every religious bent, lets not putit on the Catholics
Oh, and something else for you and whoever else who may be reading this may be interested to know.......while officially Catholic dogma states that birth control is a no - no, you will be hard pressed to find a priest who will consider it a sin. As the priest in my old parish said from the alter on a sunday....."there are only ten laws that are directly from God, the rest are man made, and can be disregarded as such" He was talking about birth control
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies