Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2008, 06:04 PM

740 posts, read 2,014,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Well, if you're so concerned about the horribly painful slaughter of innocent babies in wombs, are you giving money to any organizations who need it to help poor women, such as married ones, with birth control so they won't have to be in a position of choice? By the way, a poor married couple who choose to put the baby up for adoption, rather than abort, is also a sad tragedy.
CONTRACEPTIVE USE
• Fifty-four percent of women who have abortions had used a contraceptive method (usually the condom or the pill) during the month they became pregnant. Among those women, 76% of pill users and 49% of condom users report having used their method inconsistently, while 13% of pill users and 14% of condom users report correct use.[9]

• Forty-six percent of women who have abortions had not used a contraceptive method during the month they became pregnant. Of these women, 33% had perceived themselves to be at low risk for pregnancy, 32% had had concerns about contraceptive methods, 26% had had unexpected sex and 1% had been forced to have sex.[9]

• Eight percent of women who have abortions have never used a method of birth control; nonuse is greatest among those who are young, poor, black, Hispanic or less educated.[9]

• About half of unintended pregnancies occur among the 11% of women who are at risk for unintended pregnancy but are not using contraceptives. Most of these women have practiced contraception in the past.[1,10]

Not so sure that they would use it, or use it correctly in the first place. I think that a depo shot, as someone mentioned earlier, would be the best preganancy control for married couples. But there are so many side effects. (Weight gain, water retention just to name a few) Honestly, I think that abstinence should be taught in the schools again. There were alot fewer abortions and births out of wedlock when these things were taught. Call me old fashion, but hollyweird has made sleeping around a thing that everyone does. And a baby before marriage is more the norm on tv these days... on and off screen in hollywood. Which has a trickle effect. Sorry... but that is just the way I feel.

If we could teach our kids in schools from before kindergarden up that sex is something that one should hold sacred, turn the tv off.... and teach them how to say no and mean it that would do more to keep the unwanted preganancies down than we know. But it has to start at home. Mothers need to be there for their kids. Even when the kids get old enough to take care of themselves. To help protect their kids.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:17 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcwife View Post
CONTRACEPTIVE USE
Not so sure that they would use it, or use it correctly in the first place. I think that a depo shot, as someone mentioned earlier, would be the best preganancy control for married couples. But there are so many side effects. (Weight gain, water retention just to name a few) Honestly, I think that abstinence should be taught in the schools again. There were alot fewer abortions and births out of wedlock when these things were taught. Call me old fashion, but hollyweird has made sleeping around a thing that everyone does. And a baby before marriage is more the norm on tv these days... on and off screen in hollywood. Which has a trickle effect. Sorry... but that is just the way I feel.

If we could teach our kids in schools from before kindergarden up that sex is something that one should hold sacred, turn the tv off.... and teach them how to say no and mean it that would do more to keep the unwanted preganancies down than we know. But it has to start at home. Mothers need to be there for their kids. Even when the kids get old enough to take care of themselves. To help protect their kids.
Teach kids from kindergarden up? So what your point boils down to is that sex is bad. Ain't that disgusting...other unmarried people are having sex, and they didn't bother to ask your permission!
Use scare tactics on kids...tell them they are doomed to hell if they have sex. Put on demonstrations...Wear scary masks, make loud threatening noises, and use other special effects such as smoke, and flashing lights.
Consult with the Taliban how to apply more effective methods.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:18 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Your ignorance is amazing, you don't want to know that PP provides health care services on a sliding scale for all women. Abortion services are only a small part of the equation. In these economic times, we need PP more than ever.
While I completely agree 100% with PP's stated mission, you should be aware of the fact that at least here in the Chicago suburbs they do not provide women's health care services on a sliding scale. Once a girl turns 18, she's charged the full amount even if she's still in high school, doesn't have a job, and therefore has no income.

I've heard the same complaints about PP charging the full amount for health care services from unemployed college students in California, as well.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:40 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,145,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Not if the death-worshippers on this forum, and in this society, have their way.

The most horifying thing in this whole debate, to me, is the relish that pro-abortion people take in commiting unborn souls to death. This is the ultimate expression of callousness; the subversion of hope; the triumph of the powerful over the helpless.

And it goes on and on, with such vehement, strident supporters.

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

--- Yeats

Yes, that's it. It's the relish, almost the enjoyment of the idea, the preference for it.
It's ghoulish.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:07 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
As I've already said, I support PP's stated mission 100%. But, it bothers me that they are making a profit while seemingly gouging teenagers, college students, the unemployed, and uninsured for birth control services and medications.

Planned Parenthood's Pricey Pills | AlterNet

Old 04-09-2008, 07:33 PM

471 posts, read 1,475,928 times
.. Wow. I may actually like taxes now.

.. No sarcasm, either.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:17 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,643,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Teach kids from kindergarden up? So what your point boils down to is that sex is bad. Ain't that disgusting...other unmarried people are having sex, and they didn't bother to ask your permission!
Use scare tactics on kids...tell them they are doomed to hell if they have sex. Put on demonstrations...Wear scary masks, make loud threatening noises, and use other special effects such as smoke, and flashing lights.
Consult with the Taliban how to apply more effective methods.
Where did she say that? How is being upfront that sex does have consequences a bad thing? Even pro choice women will allow that abortion does have ramifications that lasts a long long time, as does keeping a baby or giving a baby up for adoption. Not easy solutions, any of them.
As for the rest of her post, how is empowering women that their self worth isn't joined to how many men they sleep with? You don't have to be part of the taliban for gods sake, to want young women to not feel pressured to 'hook up' with whatever guy at whatever party to feel accepted.

Sex is complicated. The complications of sex even more so.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:18 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,643,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
As I've already said, I support PP's stated mission 100%. But, it bothers me that they are making a profit while seemingly gouging teenagers, college students, the unemployed, and uninsured for birth control services and medications.

Planned Parenthood's Pricey Pills | AlterNet

Exactly. PP is a business, they make a lot of money, they shouldn't expect tax payers to subsidize them.
If they really were for the indigent women, they would take pains to actually care for them.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:12 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Exactly. PP is a business, they make a lot of money, they shouldn't expect tax payers to subsidize them.
If they really were for the indigent women, they would take pains to actually care for them.
The payment for medical treatment of the very poor and handicapped folks is not a subsidy, it is a reimbursement for medical services. In fact, their acceptance of medicaid means they are paid less for procedures than what is reimbursed from medical insurance companies.

It is not a subsidy from the taxpayers.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:01 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Where did she say that? How is being upfront that sex does have consequences a bad thing? Even pro choice women will allow that abortion does have ramifications that lasts a long long time, as does keeping a baby or giving a baby up for adoption. Not easy solutions, any of them.
As for the rest of her post, how is empowering women that their self worth isn't joined to how many men they sleep with? You don't have to be part of the taliban for gods sake, to want young women to not feel pressured to 'hook up' with whatever guy at whatever party to feel accepted.

Sex is complicated. The complications of sex even more so.
The ramifications are produced by society and the stigmas (usually religious) attached to abortion and sex.
Self-worth does not depend on having or not having sex. Those who believe it does need some self-examination.
Sex is not complicated. It's very natural, it's instinctive. For those who believe in human passion and are not afraid to be themselves it's a pleasure and a joy.
Sex has been made complicated (also evil, sick, filthy, disgusting, degrading, etc. etc.) by society and, of course, religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies