Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2019, 09:56 AM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Few of us who have lived in CA for any length of time have property taxes over $10 K. And anyone who does can probably well afford whatever taxes they pay.
OK, so the limit doesn't impact you. Although it probably does due to combined property and income taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 09:56 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Let's see.

The GOP just took a senate seat in Minnesota.

This is a seat that has been Blue for a long time. And it gives Trump an historic majority in the US Senate for this point in his tenure. Doesn't like like there's any seething at all except maybe by the always outraged leftist.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:00 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Walmart prices always vary and rollback/forth at times and this has been going on for many years.

However, the price for goods and services has increased in the past year as a whole in the USA and certainly prices have not decreased. Companies are not reducing prices due to their huge tax cut windfall.
At Walmart, that's because they didn't get a huge tax windfall. Their profit margin is only 1.37%.

https://ycharts.com/companies/WMT/profit_margin

Apple's profit margin is 23.68%.

https://ycharts.com/companies/AAPL/profit_margin

Google's (includes the Android OS and product/services spinoffs) profit margin is 22.78%.

https://ycharts.com/companies/GOOG/profit_margin

The obvious question is WHY does the middle class and below even buy Apple or Android products when by doing so they're quite obviously just putting extra money into Apple's and Google's CEOs' pockets?

STOP buying Apple and Android (Google) products/services. You're getting ripped off.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:01 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,019,718 times
We got a HUGE FED refund this year, deposited on Tuesday already. One week from filing, to deposit! I love e-filing, once I found a company years ago that'll do it FREE for both Fed and State( freetax.com ). I live in Michigan.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:11 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Real estate, property and state income taxes are what most people deduct when they think of SALT. They're now limited to $10,000. Look, I know... I used to live in IL. My real estate taxes, alone, were $19,000+/year. I've posted my real estate tax bill in other threads.
That's interesting given the fact that IL is in the cheaper end when it comes to average home prices (32nd expensive). The property tax there is more or less the same as in Texas.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:17 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Real estate, property and state income taxes are what most people deduct when they think of SALT. They're now limited to $10,000. Look, I know... I used to live in IL. My real estate taxes, alone, were $19,000+/year. I've posted my real estate tax bill in other threads. I saw this coming, and moved to a lower tax state. I'm still over the $10,000 limit, but much less so because my real estate taxes are 1/3 of what they were on a home of approximately the same value.

I've heard this from people that I know who have moved from IL to NC. Property taxes are far far less expensive here, and I live in the highest taxed (democrats control it) county in the state.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:18 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Getting to keep some more of their own money is stealing? What's wrong with you?
Stealing is voting for a politician that promises a new program and then refusing to pony up the tax money to pay for it.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:20 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
Quote:
Walmart prices always vary and rollback/forth at times and this has been going on for many years.

However, the price for goods and services has increased in the past year as a whole in the USA and certainly prices have not decreased. Companies are not reducing prices due to their huge tax cut windfall.
Those profits belong to the stockholders, not the customers.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:23 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
OK, so the limit doesn't impact you.
It has nothing to do with whether it impacts me. The initial post to which I replied was that somehow, those of us who own property in high tax states "should be getting hammered right about now, and rightfully so."

Last edited by CA4Now; 02-06-2019 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-06-2019, 10:23 AM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:

Ever been to a gas pump recently?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies