Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2019, 01:13 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't know that I've seen anyone say that. I've seen many note that they have affordable universal health care.
I call BS on that one.... you're one of the most prolific posters and readers on this board. If I've seen it, and I have, you have. They are usually put in their place quite quickly by someone from either side of the issue, but there are still those who actually believe it.......

Oh good God, here we go again.... No I don't want her to die of cancer. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy... But let me ask this question.....because I'm not a working mother with two small children anymore, I'm a middle aged working mom with grown children, but because I'm broke now and can't afford to keep paying higher taxes + my deductibles and co-payments I should die? Because you fail to understand that by taking away from me, you are putting me in the same exact situation and expecting someone down the road to pay for me......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 01:15 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I call BS on that one.... you're one of the most prolific posters and readers on this board. If I've seen it, and I have, you have. They are usually put in their place quite quickly by someone from either side of the issue, but there are still those who actually believe it.......
No they don't. And even if they did, so what?

That should stop us from doing the right thing?

Old 02-08-2019, 01:19 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
Never trust the gov. on this. Remember They said with ACA you could keep your Doctor. I guess people have forgot how they got sc***ed on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Hill-HarrisX Poll: 71% of Americans want Universal Healthcare-healthcare.jpg  

Old 02-08-2019, 01:23 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Never trust the gov. on this. Remember They said with ACA you could keep your Doctor. I guess people have forgot how they got sc***ed on this.
Obama said that. It doesn't have to be that way. I will admit it makes for a difficult argument when so many still try and defend him on that.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:25 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Just bump it up to 45% at the federal level like Europeans pay for their national taxes. Are you good with that? Now, add state and local taxes on top of that. If we do that, we can have the social program goodies the left wants, like Universal Health Care. Just do it!
Health care is obviously not the only difference in our systems.

31% + the average medical costs(premium, deductible, employer contribution, all out of pockets) would be the number to compare with against their tax burden on an equivalent level of services for an apples to apples comparison. I'd imagine it's pretty similar.

And in what fairy tale world do you live in where the average person only pays 3% in taxes. Even looked through your link. Didn't see justification for that there. Sure would be nice though.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:26 PM

8,157 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Trying to blind with BS. I'm not buying it. Post the same stat for the US average income household, like I did the European equivalent. Then, we can compare apples to apples.

I find it pretty ironic that you are talking about apples to apples since you NEVER do that.

Your "European equivalent" includes everything - all types of taxes including those paid by the employer. In addition to that, what those taxes cover is vastly different - healthcare, education, large portions of childcare, family leaves, pensions, and what not. Many of those items here are either not covered at all, and are huge out of pocket expenses, or in some cases (like K-12) paid via property taxes, or state taxes, or sales taxes.

Now, there is no question that something like Medicare for all would cost in grand total less than the current health system if for no other reason than drastically cutting the overhead. What I suspect your real issue is that a program like this would be paid by a payroll tax, like current Medicare, and it could very well be on the whole income without a limit.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:48 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PierceMarx View Post
ACA is a fantastic program. Universal will be even better!
I wouldn't call it fantastic because it still allows the greedy insurance company middle men to siphon off obscene amounts of our healthcare dollars for basically trying to deny care whenever possible. But for independent contractors and those with preexisting conditions who had no way to purchase insurance before the ACA, it has been a life saver.

I view the ACA as a stop gap while we work to get the old dinosaurs out of Congress and move into the 21st century. Which is only a matter of time.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:00 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post

Oh good God, here we go again.... No I don't want her to die of cancer. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy... But let me ask this question.....because I'm not a working mother with two small children anymore, I'm a middle aged working mom with grown children, but because I'm broke now and can't afford to keep paying higher taxes + my deductibles and co-payments I should die? Because you fail to understand that by taking away from me, you are putting me in the same exact situation and expecting someone down the road to pay for me......
The point of universal would be everyone can access care. I'm not sure why you believe it would bankrupt you to pay into the system through taxes. You would not have all those high deductibles and premiums.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:54 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The point of universal would be everyone can access care. I'm not sure why you believe it would bankrupt you to pay into the system through taxes. You would not have all those high deductibles and premiums.
the point of the yellow pages is that EVERYONE has access to a doctor

UHC/MfA is not about access (which you already have)...its about having some entity pay YOUR bill

Old 02-08-2019, 04:58 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
I seem to recall Republicans telling us we would have a replacement for Obamacare too(Crickets).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies