Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2019, 08:32 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And with personal choice come personal responsibility.
True
I mean you have to weigh in many factors to have a child
However, if 2 individuals on minimum wage want to have a child I am cool with it. I think that any assistance should be limited to 3 or 4 children. Any assistance will expire after 4 to 8 maybe 10 years for the 2 parents.

Think 8 years you have all the Government assistance st your disposal and up to 3 children are quasi financially supported by the Government. You work 64 hours a month if Single family household or 128 if Married household. Income is less than $40,000 a year.

In those 8 years you have opportunities to receive tax paid education for first time college students or 50 percent off for returning students for college education for a community college program. For those making $50K or more receive $600 yearly for part time programs and $1,200 yearly for full time programs for only 6 years of an individual's lifetime can be applied to any certificate, undergrad. or grad degree.

Childcare is covered via a stipend based off percentage childcare deducts from monthly pay and a Government/Employer sponsored childcare program. Same calculation for heat for those $40,000 or less a year.

Universal healthcare. A .5% user fee of total cost per year for individual or family. .5% for universal healthcare for incomes $50,000 to $125K. Increase of .5% every $75,000. Universal mental health and cancer treatment no user fee. Individuals can opt out of universal healthcare if want to. Will be eligible for 95% of taxes deducted for universal healthcare back at end of tax season if enrolled in health insurance somewhere else, enrolled in a health sharing plan, or have a religious exemption.

Food Stamps and WIC eligible. A 10% user fee of total expenses for those using WIC and Food Stamps with incomes between $50,000 and $100,000. (No time limit on WIC and Food Stamps.)

A monthly stipend of $250 per child.

Individuals $50,000 to $100K receive $150 monthly rebate for child care and a $80 monthly rebate for heating assistance.

Federal income is exempt for all income $20,000 or less.

Last edited by RunD1987; 02-22-2019 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 08:42 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I won't post it 100 times like a psychopath, but here's another for you:

It is also NOT the job of the Federal Government to manage my uterus.
First, thank you so much for the personal attack.
Second, I agree with you - it is NOT the job of any government to manage your uterus.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:50 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
If they work 30 hours and qualify for this program and they continue to do so how is that a hand up. They can just stay the course and remain in the program. They could also go to school and get a job that pays just enough for them to remain in the program.
It’s a hand up as in it encourages work or school. If you don’t do those things, you don’t get the subsidy. It encourages upward mobility. I don’t know if anyone participating in the work force or in school that would be eligible for this program who is also simply happy with status quo. They are looking to do better, make more money, pursue a degree to make more money, etc.

To me, a hand up is something that helps you off assistance. It’s not like food stamps which is fine on a temporary basis. Lost a job, etc. The food stamps amount that goes to families is crazy. That program keeps people on. The more you work, the less you get. Groceries are expensive. People find they’re spending a ton on them or not getting their desired choices when it comes out of pocket. They will keep their earnings down to get more money on the card and keep themselves on the rolls. I spent far less on groceries than the food stamp program gives for a family of my size. About half because it comes out of my pocket and I’m forced to make better choices.

I got off topic.

Anyway, I’m not a proponent of welfare programs by any means. They’re unrealistic. I do not have a problem with someone needing to work for one though, like the childcare subsidy. It’s sliding scale as well. The ones that are working are paying taxes and essentially paying into the program as well. One day they’ll be off of it and contributing fully toward their lives.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:51 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
True
However, if 2 individuals on minimum wage want to have a child I am cool with it. I think that any assistance should be limited to 3 or 4 children. Any assistance will expire after 4 to 8 maybe 10 years for the 2 parents.
Nor do I, and there are programs to assist with daycare for low income households.
Paying every parents daycare who has an income above and beyond poverty guidelines up to 50K, not so much.

Be it government regulations on licensing, staff credentials and ratios, liability insurance, etc. or parental wants like, snacks, documentation, staff credentials, face time, fancy facility.

I would be more in favor of government funded preschools (3-4 year olds) than paying for private daycare for this arbitrary anyone wilt a income of 50K or less.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:54 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Kids in daycare tops 5 years. Working or taking classes trying to improve you situation during those 5 years vs. doing nothing because you cant afford childcare. That can mean the difference between needing assistance long term and becoming independent and long term productive contributor.
Either way they get free money. I don't see how someone working a low wage job dead end job is improving themselves. Let's face it that is how is usually goes. It is like work requirements for food stamps and medicaid. They will work just enough to get the benefits because it gets real expensive to pay for everything yourself once you make a little too much to qualify.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:54 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
Quote:
If they work 30 hours and qualify for this program and they continue to do so how is that a hand up. They can just stay the course and remain in the program. They could also go to school and get a job that pays just enough for them to remain in the program.
In addition, I do not support fully funded childcare whatsoever. A completely free benefit like that does no one any favors.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:10 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Marx in the communist manifesto speaks of abolishing the family.
Quote:
Today, the main backwards role the family plays is the oppression of children, who are subjected to a tyranny of the parents and denied the basic rights which should belong to every human, most importantly the right of free development of the personality. The family is responsible for producing authoritarian, obedient, repressed humans who are afraid to step out of the norm. By setting parents against their children, furthermore, the family divides the working class, similarly to sexism and racism.
https://destroycapitalismnow.wordpre...sh-the-family/
What better way to break down the family, then by replacing the influence of parents with that of govt authoritarians starting at pre-school age?

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 02-22-2019 at 09:50 AM..

Old 02-22-2019, 09:41 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I am the one in the $600k neighborhood. Many of the houses have multiple families there. Up half-a-mile is a large low-income housing complex. That is why 70% of the high school is on free or reduced lunches. (About 50% are ESOL.)

Liberals call BS when someone disturbs their dream world with a reality check.

P.S. I don't even know what a Lamar or a Fernandez is. Is that like a Lamborghini?
Not surprising that you dont even know what those names are.

Fernandez is probably that illegal guy who is living with 14 others in that low-income apartment half a mile from your 600k home and Lamar is one of the free lunch recipients.

YOu have been refuted by multiple people that Americans also need assistance. You divert the topic to illegal aliens. If you think there are 15 people living, then you should raise it with your HOA or the authorities .

Old 02-22-2019, 09:46 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Either way they get free money. I don't see how someone working a low wage job dead end job is improving themselves. Let's face it that is how is usually goes. It is like work requirements for food stamps and medicaid. They will work just enough to get the benefits because it gets real expensive to pay for everything yourself once you make a little too much to qualify.
Well when my kids were little I was widowed then shortly after lost my job due to funding. I started working waiting tables while I was getting my BS. With my little income I qualified for my kids to go to headstart (free money) so I did not have to pay daycare costs for 2 years for each of them and my income could go to rent, food and utilities. Then they moved on to Kindergarten and I graduated a got a good paying job, have paid my share of taxes over the years and never had to get any other assistance ever. Without assistance with childcare I could not finished my BS and might still be waiting tables.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:51 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
True

Think 8 years you have all the Government assistance st your disposal and up to 3 children are quasi financially supported by the Government. You work 64 hours a month if Single family household or 128 if Married household. Income is less than $40,000 a year.

In those 8 years you have opportunities to receive tax paid education for first time college students or 50 percent off for returning students for college education for a community college program. For those making $50K or more receive $600 yearly for part time programs and $1,200 yearly for full time programs for only 6 years of an individual's lifetime can be applied to any certificate, undergrad. or grad degree.

Childcare is covered via a stipend based off percentage childcare deducts from monthly pay and a Government/Employer sponsored childcare program. Same calculation for heat for those $40,000 or less a year.

Universal healthcare. A .5% user fee of total cost per year for individual or family. .5% for universal healthcare for incomes $50,000 to $125K. Increase of .5% every $75,000. Universal mental health and cancer treatment no user fee. Individuals can opt out of universal healthcare if want to. Will be eligible for 95% of taxes deducted for universal healthcare back at end of tax season if enrolled in health insurance somewhere else, enrolled in a health sharing plan, or have a religious exemption.

Food Stamps and WIC eligible. A 10% user fee of total expenses for those using WIC and Food Stamps with incomes between $50,000 and $100,000. (No time limit on WIC and Food Stamps.)

A monthly stipend of $250 per child.

Individuals $50,000 to $100K receive $150 monthly rebate for child care and a $80 monthly rebate for heating assistance.

Federal income is exempt for all income $20,000 or less.
Very good. I have a simpler plan that does not have any administrative expenses:

Zero dollars and zero cents for child care.

Here’s how it works.

One. You observe reality. Children are very expensive and require a massive commitment of love, care, and money. Lots of money.

Two. You observe your wealth. You observe your income. You observe your time budget. You observe the quality of your spouse. In short, you introspect and evaluate your present life circumstances.

Three. You decide. You look at your life. You look at what creating new life correctly entails and involves.

For most people on or near minimum wage, and for most people below the age of 28, that decision is simple: No kids. Not yet. Maybe never, but certainly not now.

Now, if you violate reality you expect the following: Being broke, stress, strife, family discord, and doing a crap job of raising the kids including dumping them in institutions for most of their waking hours while you work some job to keep food on the table. Being a bad parent.

Question: Who would choose that, when setting a goal and doing it correctly is so much more fun and so much easier?

Answer: Fools.

Consequences: Bad life.

But too bad, you don’t get to now steal from others because you were an idiot. You suffer and make the best of it, but no bailouts. Ask for help from family, friends, church, etc.

The misery is how we learn not to do the wrong thing. Your friends will see you suffer, and will make better decisions. Setting up nonsense like free day care, and victimizing people who don’t eff up their lives, is a bad solution that will only encourage and enable more bad parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies