Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2019, 07:27 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
I think that breakfast and lunches in 600k areas may be more of a daycare and "PTA Privilege" than for those who may need it. If there are apartments adjoining 600k homes, I am sure they are not charging 500$ to cater to the low income. It's going to be around 1200-1500 at least. And I never see Lamars or Fernandezes in our school vicinity.

Just more BS to support their stance.
I am the one in the $600k neighborhood. Many of the houses have multiple families there. Up half-a-mile is a large low-income housing complex. That is why 70% of the high school is on free or reduced lunches. (About 50% are ESOL.)

Liberals call BS when someone disturbs their dream world with a reality check.

P.S. I don't even know what a Lamar or a Fernandez is. Is that like a Lamborghini?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 07:41 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,706,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The bold is the problem. Lets figure why it cost 2K a month for someone to babysit your infant or toddler. If we can get daycare costs to a reasonable amount, like they use to be, that would take a financial burden off working house holds rather than throwing money at the problem which never works long term.

If jointly a couple is making 15K a year they really cant afford to start a family. If you already have a child and your income drops to that amount, your under the poverty guidelines and eligible for various programs.
Think the cost revolves around demand and average salaries. So for individuals in areas with high paying wages childcare cost go up and becomes more unaffordable.

I mean you can't deny or tell someone they can or not have a kid. That is their own personal choice.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:46 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,647,120 times
Communist indoctrination, designed to turn youth into monsters, in service to foreign interests, is treasonous and prohibited.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:53 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,655,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
BTW same is true of medicare for all...
While your one-liner is a change of topics, I can't let it slide. When people say they are in favor of Single Payer what they really mean is they are in favor of Someone Else is the Payer, but there is no one else: just us collectively.

On average and across the nation, we spend between $10,000 and $12,000 per person per year (depending on the stats you select)... on average... so, as surely as night follows day, any Single Payer system will cost the nation $10,000 to $12,000 per person per year (to cover the medical care) plus administrative costs, and bureaucratic overhead. The tax bill for a family of 4 for their share of the Single Payer would be $40,000 to $48,000 (for Single Payer) plus of course the rest of their taxes as they exist today.

Single Payer just doesn't address the root cause the medical care itself costs too damn much in this country.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:58 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I know for a fact that NJ and PA have subsidized childcare. Lower income families pay zero to a portion of childcare depending on their income.

I wouldn’t be surprised to learn of other states that do the same.

The parents have to show they’re working 30 hours per week or going to school on a full time basis.

I don’t mind hand ups like this. It enables people to get ahead and out of the system rather than other programs that keep them in.
If they work 30 hours and qualify for this program and they continue to do so how is that a hand up. They can just stay the course and remain in the program. They could also go to school and get a job that pays just enough for them to remain in the program.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:59 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
It really shouldn't be more than $1,000 per month - tops.

A daycare provider can care for four children in her home, and at $1000 each, that translates to an income of nearly $50,000. That's a good income for a role that doesn't require more than a high school education, no technical skills, and nothing in the way of project management and business communications.

The summer I turned 15, before the federal government came down with its suffocating regulations, I ran a "day care" in my parents' nice walk-out basement with a bathroom. I collected the kids in my neighborhood, brought them to my house, played with them and gave them juice and snacks, and charged $5 per kid for each morning. (fDay care ran from 9 to noon.) I limited myself to 4 kids, and so collected $100 a week for my efforts.

Word spread around the neighborhood, and soon there was a waiting list. Moms BEGGED me to get a friend to join me, and increase the number of kids to eight, and they offered $6 per kid if we did that. Did just that. Got a friend, and together we earned good money for a couple of 15-year-olds.

P.S. The mothers all knew me and my family beforehand.
Why does no one do this anymore? It was common when mine were preschool age. It was usually middle age women who kept 4-5 kids in their home. I paid $30/week in in the early 80's.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:01 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,706,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Why does no one do this anymore? It was common when mine were preschool age. It was usually middle age women who kept 4-5 kids in their home. I paid $30/week in in the early 80's.
I say liability now a days. Probably cost of insurance. Just a guess though.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:08 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,372,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Nothing is ever free, maybe Democrat voters will learn that one day.
That gets lost for a lot of people. The Dems say it's "free" this or that, then they raise your taxes, so you are paying for it one way or another. There are always dirty little secrets they will never tell you.

All the gibberish about free stuff is just political talking points to get elected and are empty campaign promises that can't be fulfilled.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Think the cost revolves around demand and average salaries. So for individuals in areas with high paying wages childcare cost go up and becomes more unaffordable.

I mean you can't deny or tell someone they can or not have a kid. That is their own personal choice.
And with personal choice come personal responsibility.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
If they work 30 hours and qualify for this program and they continue to do so how is that a hand up. They can just stay the course and remain in the program. They could also go to school and get a job that pays just enough for them to remain in the program.
Kids in daycare tops 5 years. Working or taking classes trying to improve you situation during those 5 years vs. doing nothing because you cant afford childcare. That can mean the difference between needing assistance long term and becoming independent and long term productive contributor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies