Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2019, 11:01 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,038,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
So what? Same with my neighborhood. All that means is that there are pockets of low-income apartments nestled among the $600k houses. Or, just as likely, pockets of illegal aliens living three families to a house.
Another example of trickle down meanness. You have everything yet fumes at those in need. I have seen your replies in another recent thread, and hence your stand is not surprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 11:02 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,236,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Screw that, I'd rather remain childless than put up with that type of commute
You are not ready to be a parent. Not because of finances, but because you clearly are not prepared for the inherent sacrifices. Whether it’s your leisure time, your sleep, your health, your money, or your sanity; raising children requires sacrifice, making hard choices, and doing things you’d rather not do. Government programs cannot protect you from this reality. And I say this as a staunch Democrat, who is in favor of subsidized childcare.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
A lot of posters here live in expensive areas. The median value of homes in the US is much lower.
Lot size isnt proportional to the heart size I guess

Old 02-21-2019, 11:07 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Another example of trickle down meanness. You have everything yet fumes at those in need. I have seen your replies in another recent thread, and hence your stand is not surprising.
Not meanness. These illegal immigrant families living three to a house are breaking yet another law, bringing down the caliber of the public schools, and lowering the value of the property. I care more about the negative impact of illegal immigration on law-abiding American families. You put the interests of illegal aliens above American families. I'm a conservative and you're a liberal.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:15 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
So what? Same with my neighborhood. All that means is that there are pockets of low-income apartments nestled among the $600k houses. Or, just as likely, pockets of illegal aliens living three families to a house.

Mathematical it is more LIKELY to be poor American citizens and not illegals, that was just bigotry speaking and not your brain.

For the past 20 years 45- 55% of ALL AMERICAN CHILDREN were eligible for free or reduced lunch.

You assumption that it is just as likely "pockets of illegals" could not be MORE WRONG.

1 about half of all kids in the US can get a free or reduced lunch..
2 "illegals" make up less that 5% of our pop even using republicans fake high numbers...

in other words, in your head there are illegals everywhere eating all those lunches, where as the reality is they are American kids from families that are finding it hard just to get by. White kids, black kids, brown kids , all sorts of kids. Kids from hard working families that are just not making enough money despite knuckling down, despite trying hard.

Maybe we need to look at our regressive taxes and our unfair progressive taxation that lets people like me jump through dozens of loopholes to pay stupidly small effective tax rates.

Poverty traps are real, and in the US they are deliberate.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:20 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Mathematical it is more LIKELY to be poor American citizens and not illegals, that was just bigotry speaking and not your brain.

For the past 20 years 45- 55% of ALL AMERICAN CHILDREN were eligible for free or reduced lunch.

You assumption that it is just as likely "pockets of illegals" could not be MORE WRONG.

1 about half of all kids in the US can get a free or reduced lunch..
2 "illegals" make up less that 5% of our pop even using republicans fake high numbers...

in other words, in your head there are illegals everywhere eating all those lunches, where as the reality is they are American kids from families that are finding it hard just to get by. White kids, black kids, brown kids , all sorts of kids. Kids from hard working families that are just not making enough money despite knuckling down, despite trying hard.

Maybe we need to look at our regressive taxes and our unfair progressive taxation that lets people like me jump through dozens of loopholes to pay stupidly small effective tax rates.

Poverty traps are real, and in the US they are deliberate.
It's not bigotry speaking. If it were poor American children, we wouldn't have half the local school in ESOL classes. These are illegal immigrants living three families to a house.

There was a murder in one of them a few years ago. When the police investigated, there were 15 people, here illegally, residing there. There is no doubting that the influx of illegal aliens are causing problems in the neighborhoods where they settle - mostly at the public school level.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:23 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Like the wall and bringing back manufacturing jobs. And they chose the future in 2016.

Many people arguing against this plan are talking only about ideal scenario. THey may be college educated, have medical insurance through their job etc. But there are millions who do not have it.
At least those would benefit the country as a whole and not take from one to give to another for their ill conceived choices, but yes anyone who believes a candidate can fulfill campaign promises is ignorant or delusional. They can attempt it but there is no guarantee, sometimes not even a probability.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Not meanness. These illegal immigrant families living three to a house are breaking yet another law, bringing down the caliber of the public schools, and lowering the value of the property. I care more about the negative impact of illegal immigration on law-abiding American families. You put the interests of illegal aliens above American families. I'm a conservative and you're a liberal.
You conveniently assume things. There are 1000's of law abiding American families that will be glad to use help - Single mothers, disabled veterans, disabled people, blue collar workers.

When you said low income apartments , in includes many Americans who dont make more than 50k. You suddenly include the terms illegal aliens to support your claim whereas in reality many Americans live hand to mouth and riddled with debt.

I just see evilcart has summed it up nicely in another post.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I think she just has a thing about people being in the us illegally....

Americans from coast to coast for decade after decade are living on the edge of poverty. millions and millions and millions of them and it is getting worse not better.

Conservatives believe in a darwinin USA, but they don't understand that "fittest for the situation" is not actually the best way for a population to succeed in a globally competitive world.....not even close.

A mere 330 million Americans in a world of over 7,000 million people. And Republicans want to avoid uplifting all of our players, they are so worried about somebody else getting a free ride that they would rather the US have to import our talent from india, china and Europe...

Or maybe they were too busy learning scripture to learn basic econ.

They would rather the US become 2nd tier nation than compete on a level field / uplift those who face a harder path. the short termism we see from the right wing is simply stunning, just like the racism, bigotry and sectarianism. It is almost as if they think the US exists in splendid isolation from the greater world.

Last edited by evilcart; 02-21-2019 at 11:43 AM..

Old 02-21-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
It's not bigotry speaking. If it were poor American children, we wouldn't have half the local school in ESOL classes. These are illegal immigrants living three families to a house.

There was a murder in one of them a few years ago. When the police investigated, there were 15 people, here illegally, residing there. There is no doubting that the influx of illegal aliens are causing problems in the neighborhoods where they settle - mostly at the public school level.
cool story, but like many Trumpers you are willfully ignoring the facts.

80%- 90% of free/reduced lunches served in the USA are consumed by AMERICANS.

you can hate it, you can lie about it, you can pretend it is not true. But the US gov issues the data, it is free for all see. about 50% of us kids get a welfare lunch, and with only 5% or less being in the US illegally the number of lunches going to US kids is going to be in the 80-90% range no matter what bs you make up.

(btw i drop the number to 80% just to allow for whatever marginal BS you try to concoct )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies