Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2019, 10:08 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,925,727 times

Advertisements

you can promise ANYTHING to people ignorant enough to believe it

she is catering to the lowest common denominator...its scary that ignorant people get to choose our future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 10:18 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,038,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
you can promise ANYTHING to people ignorant enough to believe it

she is catering to the lowest common denominator...its scary that ignorant people get to choose our future
Like the wall and bringing back manufacturing jobs. And they chose the future in 2016.

Many people arguing against this plan are talking only about ideal scenario. THey may be college educated, have medical insurance through their job etc. But there are millions who do not have it.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:30 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
To be fair this poster chose not to have children because he doesn't want to make the sacrifices which is different from not being willing to make the sacrifices but having children anyway.
I didn't say he had kids. I'm not debating his non existent children. I'm debating the attitude that somehow it's everyone elses fault because they won't hand over their hard earned money so that they can have kids without sacrificing a single thing - not even something as trivial as a commute.

When I was younger, I had 4 jobs at the same time. Do you think I wanted to work 4 jobs at a time?

One of the last jobs I had working for someone else, I was an independent contractor and worked 70 hours a week. Do you think I wanted to work 30 more hours per week than most people do?

I one time had a commute that was 65 miles...each way. Do you think I wanted to drive that far everyday, especially in the winter?

I didn't want to do any of those things, but I did want a better lifestyle - so I did them.

The point is, if you want to live a certain way, you have to make sacrifices to get it. Sitting back and moaning about how you don't have that lifestyle doesn't get you that lifestyle, and asking others to pay for it because you're too lazy to do it is the height of entitlement mentality.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:33 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I didn't say he had kids. I'm not debating his non existent children, I'm debating the attitude that somehow it's everyone elses fault because they won't hand over their hard earned money so that they can have kids without sacrificing a single thing - not even something as trivial as a commute.
Fair enough.
I agree with you.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:34 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
The median price of homes in my area is 600k. The school zoned to this area also has free breakfast and lunch.
So what? Same with my neighborhood. All that means is that there are pockets of low-income apartments nestled among the $600k houses. Or, just as likely, pockets of illegal aliens living three families to a house.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:37 AM

52,291 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Free stuff sells.

Fastest way into power. Push class warfare and stoke the us against them mentality. Sounds good to many.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:38 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Free stuff sells.

Fastest way into power. Push class warfare and stoke the us against them mentality. Sounds good to many.
It's hard to beat Santa Claus.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:41 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Proposing one fantasy after another.

Sanders and his tuition free college, Kamala and her $500 monthly check proposal to families, Warren and her free universal childcare to families who make less than $50,000 and of course Medicare for All which they have no way to pay for it just a campaign statement to get liberals to go to the polls.

https://www.newsmax.com/finance/stre.../19/id/903335/

Wonder how many goodies they are going to propose between now and election time.,

We can add universal childcare onto medicare for all and $500 prize each month to Democratic proposals.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/12/kama...e-incomes.html

So far, Kamala is proposing a $500 gift a month for families and Warren is proposing universal childcare that is free for families who make less than $50,000 and no more than 7% of income for those above $50,000

They have also proposed Medicare for All but there is no viable way to pay for it, so they want people to trust them that they know what they are doing.

Seems Trumpets loved it when Ivanka wanted to DOUBLE the tax credit for child care.

Warren's plan is NOT aimed at providing more relief for the wealthy, instead is tries to help close the gap by TARGETED relief.

The real Issue the OP objects to is seeing the poor lifted up, seeing an attempt to assist the working poor. Help people out of the poverty trap.

It is clearly not about the actual monies spent because the same people attacking this idea are the ones who supported a multi TRILLION dollar tax cut for the top 1%....

Old 02-21-2019, 10:45 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
The median price of homes in my area is 600k. The school zoned to this area also has free breakfast and lunch.
A lot of posters here live in expensive areas. The median value of homes in the US is much lower.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:00 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Most states don't have "onerous regulations" https://www.daycare.com/states.html

Unless I knew Darcy down the street I wouldn't probably trust her with a young child unless there was some kind of vetting, it's not a very comforting thought to wonder if your kid is staying in a house with a child molester or in a drug house.
I can understand the need for criminal background checks, but it looks like many of the states require even more than that. Many require an educational background in early childhood education, which is ridiculous. The vast majority of what day care centers are doing is making sure the kids are kept entertained and don't set themselves on fire while their parents are away. I don't see why it's necessary to take classes on the Freudian theories of toddler psychological development for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies