Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 02:34 PM

52,285 posts, read 52,713,798 times

Advertisements

Probably not the smartest thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 02:36 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
People shouldn’t wet their pants over a tweet by Eric Swalwell.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:38 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
https://twitter.com/RepSwalwell/stat...53795069382656

There can be no denying the message the NRA is sending here. It's hard to believe they are allowed to maintain a tax-exempt nonprofit status for promoting violence against lawmakers who disagree with them.
You are reading it wrong

Old 02-24-2019, 02:38 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Obviously provocative...

I would not have endorsed it, but maybe this has something to do with it...

From 2013... UK Daily Mail
Gabby Giffords still loves guns: Shot congresswoman watches husband take target practice with same model of weapon that nearly killed her

Gabby Giffords’ husband likes to do target practice with exactly the same kind of gun which was used to shoot her - as she cheers him on from their porch.

Mark Kelly shoots pots and water bottles at a family ranch in Arizona with a Glock 9mm whilst the former Congresswoman shouts: ‘Excellent! excellent!’ with a smile on her face.

The same gun was allegedly used by Jared Loughner in January 2011 to shoot her in the head on his rampage which left six dead and five others injured.

The couple admit they still love the ‘gun culture’ and argue that their knowledge of guns gives them more credibility with the gun lobby and the National Rifle Association.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:40 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
The left really have lost their minds (what little they had). It would be funny if they didn't have the potential to harm this country so badly. The only "targeting" (or "targatting as the OP seems to call it) is the rights of law abiding people that those in the picture are going after. Actually reading the article is obviously too much effort for those on the left, so they just project their desires on others.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:42 PM

19,785 posts, read 22,680,815 times
Anyone actually read the article to see what the NRA is really clamoring about this time?

Isn't the initiative to try and close firearm transfer loopholes? Like me being able to sell any of my firearms to any Joe Blow with a pulse without needing to go thru an FFL?

What's so horrible about THAT?

Old 02-24-2019, 02:43 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
What? The headline gets your attention. Headlines are supposed to do that but then you are expected to read beyond that. In this case it says that the "Democrats target gun owners..."
Pelosi is their leader and yes she targets gun owners with plans and schemes to limit their ability to purchase, posses and enjoy them responsibly.

How is this an outrage? It is a fact.

It must be a slow news day since Trump is out of the country on his way to Vietnam and the SJW's are digging deep to find something to be upset about.
Although I'm not a fan of what the NRA has become, it's a 1st amendment slippery slope when the government starts telling an organization (including those with distasteful speech- not just the NRA but in general) what they can say in a headline. I agree that in the context of this article, this isn't even close to meeting the definition of a threat anymore than a headline stating "state troopers target speeders" means that if someone speeds the trooper is going to shoot at your car.

Per Ms. Webster, the word "target" is also defined as "an object of ridicule or criticism", which is definitely what the NRA and its apologists also like to do to Pelosi and Giffords. Although I seriously doubt many people who like to criticize Giffords ever have had to go through what she had to go through and there's frequently a lack of basic compassion among people who see the world differently than she does.

Last edited by Jowel; 02-24-2019 at 02:53 PM..

Old 02-24-2019, 02:43 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Obviously provocative...

I would not have endorsed it, but maybe this has something to do with it...

From 2013... UK Daily Mail
Gabby Giffords still loves guns: Shot congresswoman watches husband take target practice with same model of weapon that nearly killed her

Gabby Giffords’ husband likes to do target practice with exactly the same kind of gun which was used to shoot her - as she cheers him on from their porch.

Mark Kelly shoots pots and water bottles at a family ranch in Arizona with a Glock 9mm whilst the former Congresswoman shouts: ‘Excellent! excellent!’ with a smile on her face.

The same gun was allegedly used by Jared Loughner in January 2011 to shoot her in the head on his rampage which left six dead and five others injured.

The couple admit they still love the ‘gun culture’ and argue that their knowledge of guns gives them more credibility with the gun lobby and the National Rifle Association.
"to do" target practice? I do wonder how they got Loughner's gun from the PD. I would have thought it was kept as evidence.

Looking at the article-someone needs to at least teach Kelly how to hold the damn thing-it's not a teacup.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:48 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
What? The headline gets your attention. Headlines are supposed to do that but then you are expected to read beyond that. In this case it says that the "Democrats target gun owners..."
Pelosi is their leader and yes she targets gun owners with plans and schemes to limit their ability to purchase, posses and enjoy them responsibly.

How is this an outrage? It is a fact.
M

It must be a slow news day since Trump is out of the country on his way to Vietnam and the SJW's are digging deep to find something to be upset about.
If some liberal magazine like New Yorker did it with Trump you would go ballistic (pun intended)

Old 02-24-2019, 02:49 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Although I'm not a fan of what the NRA has become, it's a 1st amendment slippery slope when the government starts telling an organization (including those with distasteful speech- not just the NRA but in general) what they can say in a headline. I agree that in the context of this article, this isn't even close to meeting the definition of a threat.

Per Ms. Webster, the word "target" is also defined as "an object of ridicule or criticism", which is definitely what the NRA likes to do to Pelosi and Giffords. Although I seriously doubt many people who like to criticize Giffords ever have had to go through what she had to go through and there's frequently a lack of basic compassion among people who see the world differently than she does.
They know what a slipper slope it is
And they use cleats and rappelling equipment to descent it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies