Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 07:19 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,357 times

Advertisements

"No shoes, no shirt" is a hygiene issue that I've only ever seen in restaurants.

I'd never expect someone to be assaulted for wearing opposing team colors. Fans of the opposing team will get invited to eat and drink at every tailgate on the way to the stadium around here.

Protecting unpopular political speech is the bedrock of the First Amendment. It's no more "common sense" for a business to throw you out for your political beliefs than to refuse you service because you're Jewish or a woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 07:19 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,239,538 times
I don't wear my politics on my sleeve or head but some do and in todays climate they are taking a risk if they happen to be Trump people.

What I think is ironic is that the people that are triggered to anger and reaction are members of the Left, the so called party of tolerance and inclusion..

If someone did walk into bar in the midwest presumably Trump land wearing a Hilary Rocks T-shirt as the OP offered as an example do you know what would happen to him? Nothing. But have a guy walk into a bar in LA or NYC wearing a MAGA hat and we know he will be questioned, shamed, asked to leave, have the that forcibly removed and maybe even be assaulted. We know this because it has happened.

Case in point, during the election of 2016 a guy in my town had a large Trump sign in his yard and I lost count how many times it was vandalized while a Hillary sign in the yard next door stood untouched for months.

What is it with the LEFT ? So much for tolerance.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:20 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
So now people can legally get rid of blacks or gays from their establishments. Just pretend to be offended by something they are wearing.
Its called a living in a free society, you got a problem with that?

Old 03-14-2019, 07:23 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I have no problem with someone voicing their opinion about someone's hat or a business asking someone to leave.

What I have a problem with is someone being physically assaulted, pushed around or have their rights infringed upon somewhere they have every right to be.

Do you have a problem with that? If you don't then you are a hypocrite.
1) I agree. Their business and if they require everyone to wear a tutu and no hats to enter then so be it.

2) Using someones attire to justify assaulting them or attacking them is wrong imo (oh, and by state and federal law lol.)

3) Yes, the OP sees things as only good\bad depending on party and would rationalize pretty much anything including banning the other party and arresting it's members "for the greater good".

Old 03-14-2019, 07:40 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
You guys really do have an unhealthy obsession over what people say, do, look like, identify as, and wear.

People who wear provocative clothing or say controversial things in front of others are just trolling the weak-minded for attention. Ignore them and go on with your business. That's the best solution.
Yes if they are wearing something to provoke, you just don't give them the satisfaction. Ignore.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:42 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
It is no different than if I showed up to an expensive 5 star restaurant wearing a t shirt and torn jeans, I would not be allowed to enter. A business has the right to decide the type of clientele they want to serve.

Business owners know that if someone is wearing one of those stupid MAGA hats, there is always the possibility that another patron will confront them and it will not end well. Besides, who wears a cap to a restaurant ? Probably only someone who has a pickup truck with a couple of dogs in the back and whose home used to have wheels on it.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:51 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Its called a living in a free society, you got a problem with that?
To live in a free society everyone must be awarded equal rights and opportunities. Everyone must be free to drink from the same water fountains, sit at the same lunch counters and free to patronize the same establishments.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:54 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
To live in a free society everyone must be awarded equal rights and opportunities. Everyone must be free to drink from the same water fountains, sit at the same lunch counters and free to patronize the same establishments.
Your statement is contradictory; Those "awarded equal rights" have come at the expense of someone else's rights.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Your statement is contradictory; Those "awarded equal rights" have come at the expense of someone else's rights.
Your rights end where my rights begin.
My rights end where your rights begin.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
It is no different than if I showed up to an expensive 5 star restaurant wearing a t shirt and torn jeans, I would not be allowed to enter. A business has the right to decide the type of clientele they want to serve.
Its very different. Five star restaurants have a dress code that covers all T-shirts and torn jeans not just those with particular messages written on them.

Quote:
Business owners know that if someone is wearing one of those stupid MAGA hats, there is always the possibility that another patron will confront them and it will not end well. Besides, who wears a cap to a restaurant ? Probably only someone who has a pickup truck with a couple of dogs in the back and whose home used to have wheels on it.
So there have been several instances of people being attacked in businesses for speaking another language or wearing a hijab. Is it reasonable for business owners to refuse to serve those speaking Spanish or wearing offensive head coverings because they know there is always the possibility that another patron will confront them?

Quote:
Besides, who wears a cap to a restaurant ? Probably only someone who has a pickup truck with a couple of dogs in the back and whose home used to have wheels on it.
Judgmental and bigoted much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies