Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 12:16 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,796,031 times

Advertisements

Things that the right and left agree on, for better or worse, imo. Broad support for Israel, love of animals, improving infrastructure, care for the elderly and veterans, support for defense contractors, anti-dictatorships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 12:18 PM

52,292 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Most people regardless of ideology want the same thing; good schools, clean environment, high paying jobs, good health care etc. It's not what people have in common that is the problem, it's how you get from point A to point B where the argument starts.
I was going to say pretty much the exact thing.

We need to as a society get back to being able to agree to disagree instead of vilifying people who don't share our exact views on things.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:32 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,171,947 times
Conservatives and Liberals: What Do We Have in Common?

Conservatism is dead. The correct question is, "Nationalists and Liberals: What Do We Have in Common?"

Old 03-15-2019, 03:47 PM

13,660 posts, read 9,727,106 times
Most of us aim for prosperity, foremost for ourselves. Most our differences can be reduced to pecuniary considerations. We prefer lower taxes for ourselves, but higher taxes (or costs otherwise abated by taxes) for others. We extol and venerate sacrifice – by others. We prefer our own group, because we prefer ourselves, and prefer those who maximally resemble ourselves. We crave validation, and shun criticism. We regard our own values to be self-evident, limpidly clear, unimpeachable. We regard opposing values to be somewhere between misguided and outright perverse.

Those of us with no investments, regard the system as being stacked against us. We clamor for change, and perhaps for revenge. Those of us with considerable investments would abide all sorts of mischief, fearful of rocking the boat.

Much has been said in this thread, about wanting a better life for our children. This is the natural and inevitable concern of all parents. But not all of us are parents. It’s hard to convince people without children to vote for higher local property taxes, to support the local schools. It’s hard to convince parents of turning down such a tax. Our perception of what’s right, what’s honorable and civic and virtuous, ultimately devolves to how it affects our money.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:24 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
You both are American citizens.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:47 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
The terminology used in recent years for weather events sounds like something from a ridiculous movie. Like, "From the makers of SHARKNADO, watch out America, here comes BOMB CYCLONE (or POLAR VORTEX!)" Cut it out weather guys. You just look desperate for attention now.

Speaking of "desperate for attention" here is a picture of my cat:

He is pretty great. But I think every pet having person probably thinks that their pet is pretty great. I think we can all agree on that. If you don't have pets, is not having a pet pretty great for you? I hope so.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:53 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,633,295 times
Last time I checked we have a Country in Common. Some want to break that up with their hatred. Look at some poor countries. Do you want 2 classes of people? That’s where we’re headed with the hatred in the country now.

Old 03-16-2019, 03:21 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,219,965 times
My question is the reverse: Do neoliberals and conservatives support securing endowed rights (i.e. natural rights, natural and personal liberties, inherent powers, absolute ownership of private property, etc, etc.)?

This is no trick question.
Pursuant to law, all consenting citizens surrender endowed rights due to the imposition of mandatory civic duties. (Ex: militia duty - the obligation to train, fight, and die, on command - conscription - which is obviously a violation of the right to life and liberty.)

Do the 'wings' support securing endowed rights of the non-consenting free wingers?
If not, then they are opposed to the republican form of government.

Old 03-16-2019, 03:58 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Most of us aim for prosperity, foremost for ourselves. Most our differences can be reduced to pecuniary considerations. We prefer lower taxes for ourselves, but higher taxes (or costs otherwise abated by taxes) for others. We extol and venerate sacrifice – by others. We prefer our own group, because we prefer ourselves, and prefer those who maximally resemble ourselves. We crave validation, and shun criticism. We regard our own values to be self-evident, limpidly clear, unimpeachable. We regard opposing values to be somewhere between misguided and outright perverse.

Those of us with no investments, regard the system as being stacked against us. We clamor for change, and perhaps for revenge. Those of us with considerable investments would abide all sorts of mischief, fearful of rocking the boat.

Much has been said in this thread, about wanting a better life for our children. This is the natural and inevitable concern of all parents. But not all of us are parents. It’s hard to convince people without children to vote for higher local property taxes, to support the local schools. It’s hard to convince parents of turning down such a tax. Our perception of what’s right, what’s honorable and civic and virtuous, ultimately devolves to how it affects our money.
I would hope that most of us are not that selfish though. I hope we do care about others. I have no kids but I definitely support paying for schools and other things that benefit kids. I don't know if it's so much about wanting more money as love of country and wanting a decent quality of life. QOL doesn't equal money, it can mean nice parks, lack of violence, trusted leadership, access to decent health care, clean air and water, not so much greed in tearing down natural environments and building gigantic housing tracts all over the place, etc. A peaceful, pleasant, and not so stressful life.

Old 03-16-2019, 04:02 PM

15,982 posts, read 7,044,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Food. We all love food. Tacos, lasagna, cheeseburgers, French fries, pizza, bacon, pie, and this Sunday both sides of the aisle and Americans of various religions and backgrounds will be eating corned beef for St. Patrick's Day.
Disagree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies