Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2019, 05:56 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If he is vaccinated there is a 97% chance that he does not.
Maybe not.
Quote:
Among the known cases, five people had received two or more measles vaccinations and one person had received at lease one dose of vaccine. And among the five Disneyland employees diagnosed with measles to date, two were previously vaccinated.

Indeed, many adults who were vaccinated for measles decades ago as children are now highly susceptible to the virus—perhaps as many as one in 10 of those who were immunized, infectious disease
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...nother-n290786

Old 03-28-2019, 06:05 PM

37,115 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Why ban only people aged 1-18? Why not ban adults? Why not babies?
The ban covers the age groups that include the largest numbers of cases so far.

If you have actually read any of the news articles, adults were excluded in order to reduce the number who would miss work.

Infants under age one may still be protected by maternal antibodies, which is why the MMR is not routinely given until twelve to fifteen months. MMR can be given as early as six months, however, if there is risk of exposure.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:07 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Work is more important then this emergency outbreak of measles?

Infants of mothers who were vaccinated against measles vs infants of mothers who actually had measles will not be as well protected via maternal antibodies, sadly.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2249400/

Old 03-28-2019, 06:40 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:

Infants of mothers who were vaccinated against measles vs infants of mothers who actually had measles will not be as well protected via maternal antibodies, sadly.
So you think it’s preferable for women to have the measles so they can pass on the best antibodies to their kids instead of being vaccinated? Seriously?

I’m all for this ban. And I’d also be for excluding unvaccinated kids from public schools, ending any reason other than medical ones for vaccine wavers, and allowing insurance companies to deny payment for preventable illness where the parents declined vaccines. Like the parents who refused an $80 tetanus shot and then cost the insurance company 800k in bills for their kid who got tetanus. Let people like them pay for their foolish choices. They deserve it.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:

It is a matter of evaluating risk. Most of the risk is concentrated in the under 18 age group.

What your article (from 1988, by the way) says is that the protection from moms who were vaccinated wears off sooner than from moms who had had measles. Having measles incurs substantial risks. The antibody protection wears off about two months earlier for vaccinated vs unvaccinated moms. You are in essence saying that women should not be vaccinated against measles in order to gain that additional two months. That is a lot of risk to the mom for not much benefit to her infant.

The practical implication is that at some point we may start seeing a recommendation to lower the age at which the first dose of measles vaccine is given.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:49 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,567,820 times
Boy, the vaccine propaganda is really in overdrive lately. All of the people I know that get every vaccine and shot that comes out are in poor health. I find it interesting that so many people criticize all of the "fake news" out there, yet a lot of these same individuals don't get the scare tactics behind all of this vaccine propaganda. Keep taking your vaccines like good little boys and girls, and remember to not question why the same fake news is telling you to take vaccines 24/7.........

Old 03-28-2019, 07:59 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Boy, the vaccine propaganda is really in overdrive lately. All of the people I know that get every vaccine and shot that comes out are in poor health. I find it interesting that so many people criticize all of the "fake news" out there, yet a lot of these same individuals don't get the scare tactics behind all of this vaccine propaganda. Keep taking your vaccines like good little boys and girls, and remember to not question why the same fake news is telling you to take vaccines 24/7.........
It’s not propoganda. It’s science. And statistics that prove diseases are prevented and lives are saved due to vaccines.

Old 03-29-2019, 05:43 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
The heck with preventing measles lets eliminate the ban on peanuts and peanut products in schools. Seems parents are more concerned that their child will smell someone's pb & j and drop dead on the spot then they are about preventing highly contagious diseases....
Well for preventing peanut allegies, they are now advising parents to feed their children the Israeli snack called Bamba.

https://www.newsweek.com/new-trader-...lergies-706921

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Actually most people become immune to many of these diseases after getting vaccinated for a lifetime (although some types of vaccines do require booster shots. I think what you have written goes against most research in the field.

For me the exception is the flu vaccine as it needs to be administered yearly and it is effectiveness is questionable. The only time I got a flu shot was when I was a very young adult and it didn't protect me from flu symptoms (which I had never gotten prior).

Old 03-29-2019, 09:44 AM

7,268 posts, read 5,147,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/26/healt...-bn/index.html

I think this is a good step and hopefully push more parents to get their children vaccinated. What are your thoughts on this?
-haven't read the thread, but try this on :

-only ones with measles are those who freely CHOSE not to be vaccinated, ie- were willing to take their chances and accept the consequences

-the only ones who can get the measles from the above group are in that group themselves, - ie- they CHOOSE not to be vaccinated and accept the risks.

So, WHO are these Draconian, Fascist regulations trying to "protect?"..If you and your loved ones are vaccinated, then you're safe. Why do you care who else is safe or not?

BTW- death rate from measles at the time just before the vaccine was put into general use (1963) was 7 in every 100,000 cases-- the vast majority of those occurred in immunocompromised kids-- those in whom a vaccination would have been ineffective anyway.

This non-problem illustrates another example of how politicians & bureaucrats are just too stupid to be allowed to regulate us.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
-haven't read the thread, but try this on :

1. only ones with measles are those who freely CHOSE not to be vaccinated, ie- were willing to take their chances and accept the consequences

2. the only ones who can get the measles from the above group are in that group themselves, - ie- they CHOOSE not to be vaccinated and accept the risks.

3. So, WHO are these Draconian, Fascist regulations trying to "protect?"..If you and your loved ones are vaccinated, then you're safe. Why do you care who else is safe or not?

4. BTW- death rate from measles at the time just before the vaccine was put into general use (1963) was 7 in every 100,000 cases-- the vast majority of those occurred in immunocompromised kids-- those in whom a vaccination would have been ineffective anyway.

5. This non-problem illustrates another example of how politicians & bureaucrats are just too stupid to be allowed to regulate us.
1. The vaccine is not perfect. it does not work for about 3% of those who take it. In the out break in Rockland 3.8% were fully vaccinated. Another 15% were under one year old. The vaccine is not given until 12 to 15 months. That means that some of those parents may have planned to vaccinate their babies but have now been robbed of the opportunity.

Therefore, no the only ones with measles are not those who "freely CHOSE not to be vaccinated".

2. See the above. An additional group at risk are the immunocompromised, who may have lost protection even if they have had the vaccine. A woman in this category died of measles in 2015.

3. See the above. About 97% are protected; about 3% are not. I care because I do not like to see people suffer from a disease that is 97% preventable with a safe, effective vaccine.

4. The death rate from measles was and is about 1 or 2 out of 1000. Perfectly healthy children can die from it. Your statement contradicts your claim that the only people getting measles will be those who voluntarily do not vaccinate, does it not?

5. It is a problem. The outbreak has been going on for six months. The people who are trying to stop it are not the stupid ones. The parents who are refusing to cooperate with them are.

County of Rockland, New York :: Measles Information

You might want to read this.

https://www.roalddahl.com/roald-dahl.../november-1962

By the way, the children who are getting sick did not choose to be unvaccinated. Their parents (many of whom may be vaccinated themselves) made the decision for them.

Children now are actually seeking to vaccinate themselves when their patients will not allow it.

https://www.iflscience.com/health-an...s-consent/all/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies