Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2019, 06:44 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Without public schools, any kids who didn't come from a wealthy family (to afford private schooling) would end up as ditch diggers.
I didn't know you were a member of the bourgeoisie, comrade.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:45 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
So I wonder how many illegals crossing the Border have had all their vaccinations ?`

Old 03-27-2019, 06:46 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
So I wonder how many illegals crossing the Border have had all their vaccinations ?`
You'd know my measles outbreaks in Texas. Check it.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:54 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,191,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I don’t know why they don’t include adults in the ban. Most new measles cases are brought to the US by adults who have picked it up elsewhere. Maybe they should ban unvaccinated adults from traveling to other countries?
Very good question.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Speaking of the peanut allergy, which was never a problem when I was a kid BTW, why does someone have to curb their food/diet due to someone with an allergy? The mere presence of a peanut isn't going to affect anyone. If they can't control themselves and they eat it that's their own fault. All these food allergies are the fault of helicopter parents over sanitizing their kids so it should be THEY who have to be careful, not everyone else around them.
I couldn't agree with you more. And I wonder about all these allergies these days and what's causing them to proliferate in epidemic proportions. Maybe it's the vaccines?

When I was a kid, people with allergies were in the minority. Sometimes a classmate would say they couldn't eat this or that "because I'm allergic!" which was often delivered in a tone of voice that seemed to mean "I'm special, so there!". It was like they were wearing a badge of honor.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Are you kidding?

In the off chance you are not making a joke here, certainly you must understand that many vaccines are 50, 60 or 70% effective.

Put another way, 80,000 died from flu last year. Let's say that
1. If everyone had the vaccine it would be have been 40,000
2. If almost no one had the vaccine it would be 200,000

You are effectively asking why we should desire #1 over #2!

I hope you are less confused now. Assume your loved one was one of those 80K or 200K....would you then think public health was more important, or would you still have confusion about the issue

BTW, George Washington innoculated his troops at Valley Forge against smallpox. If I seem a little upset here maybe because the idea that 250 years later we are going backwards....is troubling. Medicine and Science didn't even exist at the time (in current forms) and they knew better.
I am? I did not know that. I grew up with mumps, measles (two kinds) and chicken pox. I had it all. I was miserable, but I lived through it and have a pretty darned good immune system. I didn't know anyone personally who died from any of the above. I did get vaccinations back in the day, for stuff like polio, smallpox and tetanus. I'd have to look in my childhood records to see what else. I was vaccinated on a very strictly spaced schedule and thankful for it.

There is something to be said for viewing pharma and the government with swinish suspicion, because these days, we are ruled by regulatory capture (the concept that business dictates to the government) and in view of the lousy track record of Big Pharma, parents who are concerned about the future of their children have every right to be.

Thanks for clearing up for me that vaccinations are only partially effective. Why is that, I wonder? I pity the poor kid who gets vaccinated, gets the illness anyway, and then later on gets a visit from the autism or allergy fairy.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:24 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/26/healt...-bn/index.html

I think this is a good step and hopefully push more parents to get their children vaccinated. What are your thoughts on this?
Come at me with a needle and I'm coming hard at you with my gun.
Now, you understand why New York wants you unarmed and cannot say NO.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Thanks for clearing up for me that vaccinations are only partially effective. Why is that, I wonder? I pity the poor kid who gets vaccinated, gets the illness anyway, and then later on gets a visit from the autism or allergy fairy.
Well, you are still confused as you are just giving personal "stories" as answers to public health questions involving many millions of people.

Let me try in a simpler fashion.

Given a random distribution would you prefer:

1. 200,000 Americans dying each year from Flu
or
2. 40,000 Americans dying each year from Flu

If you answer #2 you believe in public health. If you answer #1, you will likely stay very confused as you will believe in things other than science, medicine and reality.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Come at me with a needle and I'm coming hard at you with my gun.
Now, you understand why New York wants you unarmed and cannot say NO.
I'll bet you claimed the same when they said the TSA was gonna X-Ray or pat you down.....but, if you are like most of us, you went along for the public good.

No one is gonna "come at you" with a needle. What we may eventually have to do is retinal or facial scans to see whether or not you are safe to be in public.

You can't walk around in public naked or do your business in the middle of the road either. Are you going to go "hard with a gun" at a peace officer who comes at you with toilet paper and a pack of wipes?

Old 03-27-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
There's definitely something to be said for Ellis Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies