Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 12:27 PM

10,535 posts, read 6,171,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Schools are not what is being discussed in the law. The law is a total waste of time.
Public places are being discussed. Schools are public places. The temporary emergency declaration can easily be enforced in schools if nowhere else. There are a lot of children.

The law is not a total waste of time. It is sending out a message to parents to be responsible for getting their children vaccinated - and that if you do not want to get your kids vaccinated you at least should not be putting other people's health at risk.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:28 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I'm pro-choice when it comes to abortion and vaccines. You can certainly choose not to get your child vaccinated. But if the law is that unvaccinated students cannot go to school or daycare, then you have to follow that law. You are free to make a choice; you are not free to avoid the consequences of that choice.

A law that says unvaxed children cannot go to the mall or the grocery store is completely unenforceable and dumb. In the case of a severe outbreak, they could quarantine unvaccinated children in their homes for some period of time, I guess.
Would you follow a law that bans women who have had abortions from attending public schools?

Old 03-27-2019, 12:32 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Would you follow a law that bans women who have had abortions from attending public schools?

Or ban them from future pregnancies as a consequence of choosing to have an abortion? Forced sterilization?

Old 03-27-2019, 12:33 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Getting banned from government schools?

Oh what a terrible loss.
Without public schools, any kids who didn't come from a wealthy family (to afford private schooling) would end up as ditch diggers.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:34 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Public places are being discussed. Schools are public places. The temporary emergency declaration can easily be enforced in schools if nowhere else. There are a lot of children.
Unvaccinated kids are already restricted from coming to public schools. The law is a waste of time.

Quote:
The law is not a total waste of time. It is sending out a message to parents to be responsible for getting their children vaccinated - and that if you do not want to get your kids vaccinated you at least should not be putting other people's health at risk.
So send out flyers.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:35 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Without public schools, any kids who didn't come from a wealthy family (to afford private schooling) would end up as ditch diggers.
More likely is they would be breaking into the homes of the rich.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:38 PM

3,854 posts, read 2,230,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/26/healt...-bn/index.html

I think this is a good step and hopefully push more parents to get their children vaccinated. What are your thoughts on this?
I've never understand the logic behind this at all - e.g not letting unvaccinated children go to school.

Let's say some child is not vaccinated and comes down with some contagious disease, does that mean that everyone else's vaccinations are not going to work?

How does one unvaccinated child endanger the lives of vaccinated children?

Old 03-27-2019, 12:39 PM

10,535 posts, read 6,171,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It’s pretty typical to ban unvaccinated kids from school during an outbreak. In Rockland County NY they are trying to ban unvaccinated kids from being in public, period, whether they have been exposed to measles or not. How will they enforce that?

By not allowing unvaccinated kids into the school. It's not rocket science.

Quote:
Since NY state is very strict in regards to vaccines, what do you think is causing this outbreak? Is this outbreak mostly isolated in an orthodox community because that is what I’ve read?

The outbreak is largely as you say in orthodox Jewish communities.

My kids go to state school. We have to provide an annual medical and vaccination record. I believe there is a waiver with an explanation you need to provide if for any reason your child has not been vaccinated, so currently there is no enforcement as such. I have never signed such as waiver as all my kids are vaccinated.

Clearly this is why the enforcement has been made necessary.

I have a child who is a Leukemia survivor so I am more painfully aware than most of the need for widespread vaccination.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:45 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Are women who have abortions a risk to anyone else? No.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:47 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
By not allowing unvaccinated kids into the school. It's not rocket science.
I agree, it’s not rocket science, I’m not sure why you keep repeating the school issue. That’s not what’s being discussed in this particular outbreak. They are talking about banning kids from public places. Not just schools but from parks, grocery stores, malls etc. They can enforce the school ban but how do they enforce a ban from being in public?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies