Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2019, 01:20 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
That is fine, but it is not debatable that a child passing measles along to various unvaccinated infants and cancer patients is harming others. There is simply no argument.

Again, I support your right to choose not to have your child vaccinated. I just don't support your right for you to send your unvaccinated child to school to sit next to my immunocompromised child during a measles outbreak. If there is not outbreak, the risk of harm is negligible. But during an active outbreak, how can you say that an unvaccinated child poses no threat?
Why force another person’s kid to get vaccinated because your kid is immunocompromised? I don’t support sending sick kids to school, vaccinated or not. Sending an “unvaccinated” kid to school does not necessarily or automatically put other kids at risk. Some of the required vaccines are not even for contagious diseases (e.g. tetanus). Other diseases, like Rubella, don’t harm children. So why require them to have all these vaccines just to go to school? It sounds like more dogma than science.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:20 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You’re assuming that an unvaccinated child is contagious with measles just because they are unvaccinated?

In the event of outbreaks, children who were not vaccinated for the circulating illness are already not allowed to come to school until the outbreak is over. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with banning them from school all together via the elimination of exemptions and banning them from public places other then school just because they are not vaccinated, outbreak our no outbreak.

I also probably wouldn’t be sending my immunocompromised child to school during an outbreak either but that’s just me.
Then we agree. And that is what this law (however misguided and unenforceable) is all about. They are banning children who are unvaccinated from the measles to attend school during a measles outbreak. What is the argument?

I don't have an immunocompromised child and we actually homeschool anyway, so I agree with you that I'd likely keep a vulnerable child home during an outbreak, just like when my daughter WAS compromised, we avoided certain public places where there would be crowds and such during flu season. It wasn't a perfect solution, but you do need to balance the child's physical health and their mental health, and it is important for ill children to be able to participate in things as much as feasible. So I would not support saying, "too bad for your sick kid, just keep them home," rather than saying, "you chose not to vaccinate your child, so you should be the one to keep them home."

Old 03-27-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Why force another person’s kid to get vaccinated because your kid is immunocompromised? I don’t support sending sick kids to school, vaccinated or not. Sending an “unvaccinated” kid to school does not necessarily or automatically put other kids at risk. Some of the required vaccines are not even for contagious diseases (e.g. tetanus). Other diseases, like Rubella, don’t harm children. So why require them to have all these vaccines just to go to school? It sounds like more dogma than science.
During a measles outbreak, the unvaccinated child is at risk and does put other kids at risk. I don't think anyone is trying to ban kids without a tetanus vaccine from attending school during a measles outbreak. And nobody is trying to force anyone to get vaccinated. They just can't go to school during an outbreak of a preventable disease that their parents have made the choice not to prevent. Again, you are free to make your choice, you just aren't free to avoid the consequences of your choice. And the consequence is that the school district does not allow your unvaccinated child to attend school during an outbreak.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:22 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
But they are not banned (previously). That's precisely why this measure is needed.
I know of no public school system that doesn't require vaccinations. Also, this is about being in public. Completely unenforceable.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:23 PM

27,657 posts, read 16,147,064 times
How would they know? What about adults? Illegal aliens?

Old 03-27-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
That's the main problem with the law. You don't sign your name or whatever to go into a grocery store or play at the playground, so who would know who was there at any given time, not to mention what their vaccine status is? Totally unenforceable.

I saw something online about there being a law that you can't keep your dog in an enclosure less than 100 square feet and they said, "so putting my dog in his crate while I mop the floor is illegal." Who would ever know? Is the dog going to be aware of the law and call the authorities? Are they doing random checks at people's houses to find out whether they have their dog in a crate? The whole thing is stupid. And that's what this law is, too. Why bother making a law that has no way of being enforced?

Old 03-27-2019, 01:28 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Then we agree. And that is what this law (however misguided and unenforceable) is all about. They are banning children who are unvaccinated from the measles to attend school during a measles outbreak. What is the argument?
. That was already the law (banning unvaccinated kids form school during an outbreak). I’m fine with that. This new law takes it a step further and bans them not only from schools but from public places. Malls, parks, churches, buses, etc. I think this part is overkill.

Quote:
I don't have an immunocompromised child and we actually homeschool anyway, so I agree with you that I'd likely keep a vulnerable child home during an outbreak, just like when my daughter WAS compromised, we avoided certain public places where there would be crowds and such during flu season. It wasn't a perfect solution, but you do need to balance the child's physical health and their mental health, and it is important for ill children to be able to participate in things as much as feasible. So I would not support saying, "too bad for your sick kid, just keep them home," rather than saying, "you chose not to vaccinate your child, so you should be the one to keep them home."
I also wouldn’t support telling people to keep their immunocompromised kids at home. I do support keeping unvaccinated kids home from school during an outbreak but just don’t support banning them from all public places or taking away religious and philosophical exemptions in states that currently have them.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:28 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,456,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Maybe the government endorses certain vaccinations because the lack of them would cost a lot more money, both in terms of medical treatment costs and lost productivity.

To all anti-vaxxers: to hell with your feelings, logic is more important. And logic supports the importance of the medically-eligible population being vaccinated against certain diseases.
Maybe, and maybe the doctors pushed so many opioids because pain sucks. Or maybe it was greed, seeing they just got sued and lost because they're ignoring death and injury for money. Pharma doesn't exactly have a stellar rep these days. It's not like the days of no info, where you blindly trusted all medical professionals.

I don't know what you'd expect from the internet age. People now have the ability to find this crap out, and it's making things more transparent. It's no wonder people are starting to question things like medical mandates, especially when drug companies lobby for them.

Of course, to their own demise, it's hard to tell what's real and what's not. Hence the apprehension. There are people who get paid to post for one side or the other. There are docs that get paid to prescribe, and there are drug reps who get paid to push drugs.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:30 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
I don’t know why they don’t include adults in the ban. Most new measles cases are brought to the US by adults who have picked it up elsewhere. Maybe they should ban unvaccinated adults from traveling to other countries?

Old 03-27-2019, 01:32 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I don’t know why they don’t include adults in the ban. Most new measles cases are brought to the US by adults who have picked it up elsewhere. Maybe they should ban unvaccinated adults from traveling to other countries?
You can write a law banning anyone. You just can't enforce it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies