Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2019, 02:03 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I agree that schools are probably the only place where this can be enforced. The current emergency regulation in Rockland County, NY includes a prohibition on unvaccinated children going to school for the 30 day period ban.
No, this goes beyond school. Rockland wants to attempt to keep the unvaccinated under 18 out of society. Again, no way to know this, or enforce it.

Imagine the police stopping 16 year olds on their own in a Mall and asking to see their vaccination papers?

Old 03-27-2019, 02:06 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
No, whether a woman decides to not have a baby by abstaining, by using condoms, by taking hormonal birth control or by removing the cells after they are fertilized, it doesn't matter to me. Again, it puts nobody other than her at risk. I don't count an embryo as "someone being harmed."
BUT pregnant women are supposed to get a flu and Tdap vax for their unborn. How to enforce that? You cannot vaccinate the unborn without vaccinating the adult woman.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:20 PM

10,525 posts, read 6,157,413 times
This will be the last post I will make on this thread as I find it a painful subject to write about.

As a mother of a leukemia survivor who made a point to treat her son as normally as possible throughout his treatment, I am grateful that he was able to attend regular school, he fully recovered and turned out to be an extremely bright and well adjusted kid with a well above average GPA, now considering which university to attend. He completed treatment around 10 years ago and has been in full health since then.

I truly hope that nobody on CD, on any side of this issue, ever finds themselves having to face the same challenges my son and our family faced. His recovery and development into a well adjusted adult was made possible in part by his attending state school with vaccinated children.
He was vaccinated himself both before and after treatment.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:53 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
but it can be enforced, by caring, law abiding parents...these parents KNOW if their kid was not vaccinated
That can be done without a law that is unenforceable. It is done by the vast majority.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:59 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Good.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:28 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
I've never understand the logic behind this at all - e.g not letting unvaccinated children go to school.

Let's say some child is not vaccinated and comes down with some contagious disease, does that mean that everyone else's vaccinations are not going to work?

How does one unvaccinated child endanger the lives of vaccinated children?
I don't understand this, either. It's the one aspect of this issue that is so totally baffling to me that I believe something else is at work here, but I'm not sure what it is.

If a parent wants their child vaccinated, fine. Presumably they believe the vaccine works. So why the hysteria about children who are unvaccinated? If you believe the vaccine is safe and effective, then your child should be safe from exposure. I don't see what the problem is.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Is an unvaccinated child a danger to children who are vaccinated? No, that doesn't make any sense.
I know, right? I just don't understand the hysteria. Unless the parents believe there's a chance the vaccines don't work. In which case, why would you insist that others vaccinate their children if you believe the vaccines might not work, or work for some and not for others?

Old 03-27-2019, 06:38 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
No, this goes beyond school. Rockland wants to attempt to keep the unvaccinated under 18 out of society. Again, no way to know this, or enforce it.

Imagine the police stopping 16 year olds on their own in a Mall and asking to see their vaccination papers?
This is what crazies who don't believe in civil society, science or medicine are going to force us into....just as they eventually may have to force us all to stop attending public events (for example, if gunplay gets out of hand).

Someone has FORCED our children to be very afraid of "active shooters" and be trained in school.

You know that someone with HIV can be charged if they intentionally give it to others? That is as it should be.

And if crazies want to spread disease - they should either hole up in their compounds of pay the billions or trillions it will eventually cost society to deal with their luddite views.

This seems quite simple. It's not different than the "wash your hands before returning to work" sign in the eatery. Society depends in a very delicate balance of cooperation....without it, millions would suffer and die needlessly.

Normal people like myself aren't forcing this onto society. But I'm certainly not going to give up my basic rights to be in public spaces if other humans insist on spreading dangerous disease as a "right".

It would be very hard to imagine ANY SCOTUS not fully standing behind the rights of normal people to be free from infection by fundamentalists and woo-woo people. Do you disagree?

Old 03-27-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Confusing. It seems like they're saying vaccinate all the healthy ones to protect the weak few.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:43 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I don't understand this, either. It's the one aspect of this issue that is so totally baffling to me that I believe something else is at work here, but I'm not sure what it is.

If a parent wants their child vaccinated, fine. Presumably they believe the vaccine works. So why the hysteria about children who are unvaccinated? If you believe the vaccine is safe and effective, then your child should be safe from exposure. I don't see what the problem is.
Are you kidding?

In the off chance you are not making a joke here, certainly you must understand that many vaccines are 50, 60 or 70% effective.

Put another way, 80,000 died from flu last year. Let's say that
1. If everyone had the vaccine it would be have been 40,000
2. If almost no one had the vaccine it would be 200,000

You are effectively asking why we should desire #1 over #2!

I hope you are less confused now. Assume your loved one was one of those 80K or 200K....would you then think public health was more important, or would you still have confusion about the issue

BTW, George Washington innoculated his troops at Valley Forge against smallpox. If I seem a little upset here maybe because the idea that 250 years later we are going backwards....is troubling. Medicine and Science didn't even exist at the time (in current forms) and they knew better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies