Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 12:09 PM

10,535 posts, read 6,171,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They were questioning how this was going to be enforced. It's not.

School could certainly enforce it in that they can ensure unvaccinated kids do not come to school. I live in the New York suburbs. The schools are extremely strict about parents providing annual vaccination records.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:12 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
School could certainly enforce it in that they can ensure unvaccinated kids do not come to school. I live in the New York suburbs. The schools are extremely strict about parents providing annual vaccination records.
Schools are not what is being discussed in the law. The law is a total waste of time.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:15 PM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Schools are not what is being discussed in the law. The law is a total waste of time.
I agree that schools are probably the only place where this can be enforced. The current emergency regulation in Rockland County, NY includes a prohibition on unvaccinated children going to school for the 30 day period ban.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:15 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
No but I think it is a religious group in the area that doesn’t get the vaccinations.
This reply was in response to the Nazi analogy another poster made.

Nazis singled people out because of their religion which is not contagious. Measles are.

It was not meant to be related to which groups are for or against vaccinations.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:18 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Papers, please! I love how all the “hands off my body” abortion advocates are supporting the anti-vaccine crowd... wait, nope, crickets from them.
Could you please be more specific?

That really doesn't sound all that accurate.

Most women who would like old men to stop making decisions about their bodies also believe in science and medicine.

I am pro-choice and pro-vaccination. I do not think your generalization holds much water.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:21 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:

It’s pretty typical to ban unvaccinated kids from school during an outbreak. In Rockland County NY they are trying to ban unvaccinated kids from being in public, period, whether they have been exposed to measles or not. How will they enforce that?

Since NY state is very strict in regards to vaccines, what do you think is causing this outbreak? Is this outbreak mostly isolated in an orthodox community because that is what I’ve read?

Old 03-27-2019, 12:23 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
I'm pro-choice when it comes to abortion and vaccines. You can certainly choose not to get your child vaccinated. But if the law is that unvaccinated students cannot go to school or daycare, then you have to follow that law. You are free to make a choice; you are not free to avoid the consequences of that choice.

A law that says unvaxed children cannot go to the mall or the grocery store is completely unenforceable and dumb. In the case of a severe outbreak, they could quarantine unvaccinated children in their homes for some period of time, I guess.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:24 PM

5,986 posts, read 2,240,225 times
Either you do or don't allow religious exemption. If you allow religious exemptions in the USA then it is what it is. You cannot challenge someone's belief system as a public official without some serious court battles. Some things are exempt from this but still require going before a judge for a hold or medical necessity order to involuntary treat (Tuberculosis for example).

Public health is difficult because you are Required to attempt to treat those that don't want help in order to protect those that need protection (children, adults w/ poor immune system, medication use like Humira). Good luck sorting this one out.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:24 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Could you please be more specific?

That really doesn't sound all that accurate.

Most women who would like old men to stop making decisions about their bodies also believe in science and medicine.

I am pro-choice and pro-vaccination. I do not think your generalization holds much water.
I believe in science, medicine as well as choice. I am pro choice when it comes to abortion and I am pro choice when it comes to vaccination.

The decision to have an abortion puts a definitive end to someone’s life. The probability that an abortion will cause a death is 100%. The decision to forgo a vaccination may possibly, maybe, pose a miniscule threat to someone else. Depends on the vaccine, depends on the disease as well as other factors.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:26 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Getting banned from government schools?

Oh what a terrible loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies