Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 07:03 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Except Laraine Cook of Idaho, who your link talks about, is not Lauren Miranda of New York. The latter is the subject of this thread.
The article I replied to was used as an example of someone getting fired when asked for examples. I pointed out she got her job back.

Quote:
Your example ..............
It wasn't my example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 09:51 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,283,043 times
Ok, so I saw I saw that pic and the first thing I thought was,

"Damn, her room is a mess!"

Am I alone in this?

Old 04-03-2019, 10:08 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
All I have to say is thank god all the incriminating evidence from my past was in the form of Polaroids. Though I saved a few to remind my husband.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:48 AM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Somehow you made this about persecution of right wing nut jobs who didn't go to college.

Some really disturbed people around here. I'm sure she is a "liberal/millenial" which of course elicits more unhinged bile from the talk radio audience.

"Somehow you made this about persecution of right wing nut jobs who didn't go to college."

"Some really disturbed people around here"

Based on your 1st, sentence I agree. Do you have mirror handy?

Old 04-04-2019, 06:50 AM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I wonder if teachers are fired for shacking up, sex outside of marriage, adultery, divorce, speeding, dui, etc. Are homosexual teachers fired? Having a morals clause in this highly immoral culture is beyond crazy.

The left even talking about morals is hilarious on its own!

Old 04-04-2019, 07:00 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,413 times
It is BS this woman was fired. She did not release the photo, it was meant to be private and was illegally made public by someone else. As far as being fired over a morality issue, what exactly is immoral about one adult sending another adult a private photo?

Many people like to comment that people just need to learn the lesson and not take these photos in the first place. I think it has become clear that the train has left the station, and this is just a normal part of romantic relationships in the modern era. Society needs to adjust and accept this. The person that should be punished is the one who released the photo.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:10 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Somehow you made this about persecution of right wing nut jobs who didn't go to college."

"Some really disturbed people around here"

Based on your 1st, sentence I agree. Do you have mirror handy?
Stone age morality, first grade communication skills..."I know you are but what am I."

Old 04-04-2019, 07:38 AM

20,394 posts, read 14,667,898 times
OK I posted before that I didn't think she'd done anything WRONG in taking the photo or sharing it with her boyfriend. I stand by that. I don't buy into the Biblical morality that some here have tried to use in their arguments, and I'm speaking from a place of my own ethical beliefs, and what I would consider reasonable from a legal standpoint.

However.

Here in Colorado it's legal to smoke pot in your off time if you like, yet some employers still drug test. And do not hire, or terminate employment, with regards to those who use the stuff no matter when they've used it. And I do believe those employers have that right. People have been fired for exercising their free speech in a manner that a company finds "unbecoming" to their image, if the person can be linked to the company. They also have that right. Why? Because it's in the contract you signed when you got hired, or when you applied for the job, what rules that employer would expect of you.

So with regard to whether her firing deserves pushback, or whether I think she has a valid case to fight here... Well, I haven't seen her employment contract. Have any of you? If she explicitly violated the terms of it, then they can fire her. It's not like she's going to jail or something. But then it becomes a matter of contract law, and if she doesn't think that the contract covers this situation, well...hire a lawyer and go to court, that's why we have lawyers and courts that handle such things.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:46 AM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
A teacher fired for posting a picture on facebook with her fiancé holding her breast isn't quite the same. This teacher didn't post anything.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:04 AM

16,558 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
A teacher fired for posting a picture on facebook with her fiancé holding her breast isn't quite the same. This teacher didn't post anything.

There was a time when we as a society understood that it was inappropriate for a man to hold a woman's breast in a public place, in front of a child no less. And there was a time when we as a society understood that it was inappropriate to allow such a thing to be photographed, and to purposely disseminate such a photograph. And I am convinced that we were a better place when these things were understood. If that makes me a prude, then so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies