Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2020, 11:08 AM

952 posts, read 323,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfailing presence View Post
Originally Posted by unfailing presence
Do you believe more or less minorities will be voting for Trump this time than did so in 2016 ?

I work with a majority of minorities Black , Hispanic , Pacific Islanders , Indian .
There is a healthy percentage among them, ( I would put it at 30 to 40 percent ), that support Trump .
I have found most of this out not through my own investigation , but through the unabashed proclamations
of those who do support Trump .
Some of them even a little more strident in their support for my tastes .
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Where do you live?

I doubt that 30% of the black people you work with (and note I don't like for black people to be lumped in with other POC as we are not the same and don't have the same political experiences) support Trump.

And by support, have they explicitly stated they voted for him or will vote for him or have they attended any of his rallies?

I don't know any black people who have said they did or would vote for Trump where I live (in NW OH - I have seen some on social media, but I'm not apt to believe things people say on social media). However, I do have family members, like my brother who I mentioned above and my libertarian cousin and even my black Republican uncle (who hates Trump the most lol) who have said things about Trump that are not negative. I personally also don't say too much negative things about him in general/at work. The white people I work with, half of whom are Republican, seemingly hate him more than I do. I personally just feel bad for him as I do think he didn't expect to experience all this turmoil he has experienced since becoming president. I also didn't support his impeachment (neither did my dad and he is a Democrat). I feel it was a waste of time. I think the media does focus a lot more negatively on Trump than they did Obama. However, all of the above doesn't mean I "support" Trump.

I'm also not going to vote for him and didn't in 2016. This is an example of the fact that many prejudicial views of black people that many of you have about our political views are unfounded. I think Trump is chaotic but I don't think he ruining the country or anything. I do think he is a racist, but it is not because of the influence of white liberals (I have a very negative view in general of what I call "uber" white liberals - I'm a center, left leaning independent BTW). I think a lot of people are racist so me thinking that about Trump is not unique.
I currently live in Florida , although not originally from there , and most of the people I work with are from all over .
Whatever you want to put the percentage at I can tell you one thing for certain . It has gone up since 2016.
Another demographic that that the democrats are seriously misjudging is the immigrant population .
People fleeing regimes where they were told at that beginning " we will provide free food , free healthcare ,
free education , free housing , free everything , only to end up starving & staring down the barrel of a government gun are literally terrified when they hear the same thing being spoken by American politicians .
I have witnessed an immigrant watching an American politician speak on tv in a lunchroom literally unable to eat and seeing the fear on their face . When I asked what was wrong he pointed to the tv and in broken
English he said, referring to the south American country they fled :

: "That they said to us , that they said to us ! "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 11:22 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
I currently live in Florida , although not originally from there , and most of the people I work with are from all over .
Whatever you want to put the percentage at I can tell you one thing for certain . It has gone up since 2016.
Another demographic that that the democrats are seriously misjudging is the immigrant population .
People fleeing regimes where they were told at that beginning " we will provide free food , free healthcare ,
free education , free housing , free everything , only to end up starving & staring down the barrel of a government gun are literally terrified when they hear the same thing being spoken by American politicians .
I have witnessed an immigrant watching an American politician speak on tv in a lunchroom literally unable to eat and seeing the fear on their face . When I asked what was wrong he pointed to the tv and in broken

But polling doesn't show that black voter support for Trump has gone up since 2016.

This thread is about black people supporting Trump, not "immigrants" in general. I don't consider immigrants to be Black/African American. We are a specific demographic.

You don't know anything for certain about black voter habits since 2016 except to note that black voter participation in elections since 2016 has gone up and that it was a significant impact on elections in various states, including Florida of late. I have heard talk in black media about potentially Andrew Gillum being a VP candidate, along with Stacey Abrams, both of whom had hard fought, but lost campaigns in FL and GA and have a lot of clout in Black America. If one of them is chosen as a VP candidate, that would tip the scales in favor of black support for the Democratic candidate and IMO this is especially the case for Andrew Gillum (as black men are not as apt as supporting a black female candidate as they are a black male, so IMO he'd get a larger amount of interested black voters by bringing in black men).

Old 02-06-2020, 11:48 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:

Wow, someone who spoke broken English was able to understand what a slick-speaking politician was saying on the news? Interesting. Not my experience among those who are learning English at all, but okay.

Are these non-English-speaking immigrants of whom you speak citizens? If not, you know they won't be voting for Trump or anyone else, right?

Old 02-06-2020, 12:57 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
But polling doesn't show that black voter support for Trump has gone up since 2016.

This thread is about black people supporting Trump, not "immigrants" in general. I don't consider immigrants to be Black/African American. We are a specific demographic.

You don't know anything for certain about black voter habits since 2016 except to note that black voter participation in elections since 2016 has gone up and that it was a significant impact on elections in various states, including Florida of late. I have heard talk in black media about potentially Andrew Gillum being a VP candidate, along with Stacey Abrams, both of whom had hard fought, but lost campaigns in FL and GA and have a lot of clout in Black America. If one of them is chosen as a VP candidate, that would tip the scales in favor of black support for the Democratic candidate and IMO this is especially the case for Andrew Gillum (as black men are not as apt as supporting a black female candidate as they are a black male, so IMO he'd get a larger amount of interested black voters by bringing in black men).
Black voter support for Trump has undulated over the years. Generally, nationwide, it remains under 10%.

Many people will equate being a minority with being Black. In this case, I think said person is doing that to minimize anything Black Americans might have to say about Trump. And there is something I know about Florida. There are alot of Hispanics in Florida, and of different ethnicities. Cubans, Nicaraguans, Venezuelans, Colombians, basically, alot of people from the Caribbean and South America. While there are certainly many immigrants who are against Trump, Florida has a relatively higher amount of Hispanics who vote Republican. Florida differs from alot of states in terms of its Hispanic population.

In Florida and Georgia, Blacks are far less likely to support the GOP. This has been proven time and time again. I remember when Stacey Abrams was running for governor. I was living in Georgia at the time. It showed me how racially divided things are. The person running against Abrams: Brian Kemp. Brian Kemp did some reprehensible things as Secretary of State. He purged alot of voters from the rolls, closed down alot of polling stations. Alot of polling stations were in predominantly Black areas. Alot of majority-Black (or majority-minority areas) were not supplied with enough voting machines, some places they malfunctioned. Even Brian Kemp had trouble voting. Alot of Blacks went out and voted for Stacey Abrams. 93% of Black voters picked Abrams. Alot of Whites went out and voted for Kemp. 74% of White voters picked Kemp.
-Kemp won by a margin of 1.4%. It would have been closer had it not been for the attempts at voter suppression Brian Kemp tried. All while he didn't officially step down as Secretary of State. I think he rigged his own election.

Gillum was running against Ron DeSantis. He was known for making racist remarks.
https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/e...ident-10687534

DeSantis ended up winning anyway.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Just my immediate contact with black voters is what I am going on .
It proved to be accurate in 2016 when Trump was elected despite what every " poll " said.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:05 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
If you truly believe Blacks support Trump, then put your money where your mouth is...

Wear your MAGA hat around Black people... it shouldn't be a problem right?

Old 02-06-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Wow, someone who spoke broken English was able to understand what a slick-speaking politician was saying on the news? Interesting. Not my experience among those who are learning English at all, but okay.

Are these non-English-speaking immigrants of whom you speak citizens? If not, you know they won't be voting for Trump or anyone else, right?
Being able to accurately articulate a language comes long after the ability to understand what is being said has been mastered .
But "WOW" who knew that , right ?
Despite what they taught you in political science 101 " free this & free that " is not a particularly " slick "
political message .
Just a dishonest one .
And a very old one I might add .
The immigrants I had contact were not of full citizen status but in process as far as I know .

Old 02-06-2020, 01:23 PM

11,253 posts, read 11,025,570 times
My guess is that between 15-20% of voting blacks will vote for Trump come November, and that is plenty enough to devastate the Democrat party. The fact that this thread is 143 pages long is testament to how worried they are.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:29 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
My guess is that between 15-20% of voting blacks will vote for Trump come November, and that is plenty enough to devastate the Democrat party. The fact that this thread is 143 pages long is testament to how worried they are.
WHOA there bud!

You need to increase your "Number of Posts to Show Per Page" under Settings/Options to 40...

Old 02-06-2020, 01:33 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And no, not every Republican is a racist. I will say this. In the last 20 years, some of the most anti-Black comments I've seen from politicians, most have come from Republicans. The racism I've dealt with, most of the individuals who have made anti-Black comments towards me or felt comfortable making anti-Black comments around me, have been conservatives. I am merely talking about what I have dealt with me in my life. I'm not saying every Republican/conservative is like this. I'm talking about my life, and what I've seen. And it doesn't leave a great impression.
The VAST majority of conservatives/republicans are not racist.
As a white person, I’ve had the same racist or bigoted experience with democrats. Hispanics have called me racist names, blacks have too and the former very liberal black mayor of my city was caught in a private email saying how much he hated whites and couldn’t stand it when it snowed, as it reminded him of all the white people here.
Democrats have said such bigoted things about us conservatives — we are “deplorable, ignorant, they can smell us in Walmart “ you see black commentators talking about how horrible whites ALL are even openly now on CNN and MSNBC.
There are racists in every culture — how much energy and attention do you want to give them? The focus on racism just devides us, makes us angry, defensive, more tribal.
A wise older black woman once said to me, “if I don’t go looking for prejudice, it doesn't come looking for me”....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies