Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 08:00 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Conservatives are choosing to make her the face of the Democrat party. it works with their anti-immigration agenda.

See how that works.......
Anti-immigration or anti-illegal immigration? I honestly don't hear a lot of anti-immigration talks. That is unless you feel that calls for raising the bar is anti-immigration?

My wife is a legal immigrant. 2 college degrees and speaks 4 or 5 languages, several fluently. Yes this is the kind of immigrant we should be targeting. We need more of them. What we don't need is any more Borris from Russia whose only job skill was breaking legs for the Russian mafia. We don't need illiterate immigrants. We dont need immigrants that can't speak the common language of our country. In short we don't need immigrants who will become an instant burden upon the country.

Refugees. No issue with refugees who can be properly vetted and who don't come from countries that are openly hostile towards our own country. The hero of the democrats James Comey testified that the Syrian refugees could not be properly vetted. We should not take that risk.

I am a legal immigrant in another country. I had to pass back ground checks. I had to prove that I was financially able to live in the country. I have to check in every 90 days. There isn't anything wrong with those requirements. How do I prove financial status? By maintaining at least $25,000 USD in a bank act in this country, or prove that I have at least $2400 a month income.. Once again nothing wrong with these requirements.

What the democrats and the left love to do is label anyone who doesn't agree with the left's agenda as anti-immigrant, xenophobe, racist, sexist or a white supremacist. If you can demonize them and label them, then you can guilt or intimidate many to back down from their beliefs.
See how that works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
The people who voted her in are Islamic Somalians, who identify as Islamic Somalians and will never integrate into our society. If they were Secularist they could, and there are Secular Somalis here and others like Hirsi Ali who are great.

I always do the marriage test; "would you want someone in your family to marry one? I am a former Sikh, turned Atheist. I have Jews, Christians, Hindus, Buddhist, and a Muslim who have married into my extended family. I could see marrying someone like any one of the religions that my extended family married into with the exception of Islam.
If people don't want to take your word for it? They should read Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali.
She grew up in Somalia. Raised as a muslim, and was given the honor of enjoying a female genital mutilation by broken piece of glass while her loving mother and family held her down.

She broke away from them and for the horrible deed of writing about what happened to her has a price on her head. She absolutely warns the west of the dangers of Islam and the faithful.

Of course the left will be just as likely to label her as a xenophobe or some other vile title because just how the hell would she know what Somali life is all about?

Old 04-11-2019, 08:20 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,377,717 times
Quote:
The people who voted her in are Islamic Somalians, who identify as Islamic Somalians and will never integrate into our society. If they were Secularist they could, and there are Secular Somalis here and others like Hirsi Ali who are great.
This statement is not factually accurate. The population you’re describing makes up less than 5% of Minnesota’s 5th congressional district. Meanwhile Ilhan Omar received just under 78% of the votes which were cast in the 2018 house race. Thus, even if not a single Islamic Somali cast a vote she would still have won by a wide margin.

And for the record I’m a Catholic who was born in Minnesota and I voted for Omar. And no, I don’t identify as an Islamic Somali.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:24 PM

31,074 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
She grew up in Somalia. Raised as a muslim, and was given the honor of enjoying a female genital mutilation by broken piece of glass while her loving mother and family held her down.
I read her book "Heretic". Yes, she came out against Islam as practiced in Somalia, a religion that has imposed Female Genital Mutilation on close to 100% of their girls. She, of course is demonized be many on the left. And of course not all Muslims around the world practice it but most all Somalians do.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 04-11-2019 at 08:36 PM..

Old 04-11-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I read her book "Heretic". Yes, she came out against Islam as practiced in Somalia, a religion that has imposed Female Genital Mutilation on close to 100% of their girls. She, of course is demonized be many on the left. And of course not all Muslims around the world practice it but most all Somalians do.
It really is a must read book. Her mutilation if Im not mistaken, actually happened in a refugee camp in Saudi Arabia. Its been 10 years or more since I read the book. Eye opening and intense. A page turner to be sure.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:35 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
The some people did something comment wasn't a denial of terrorism.

For 18 years folks have said things like -- since 9/11, since that day, when those planes hit the building......without making a direct reference to terrorism or Muslims and none of us have blinked.

But this woman, making a point that since 9/11 actions of those 9 people.....we all took a different look at the Islam/Muslims....even those of us that like to think we aren't biased.

It is true.

And that was the context of her statement. She didn't deny the terrorist act, she wasn't dismissing it -- she was talking about how that event changed perceptions......and the impact it has on Muslims.

Right or wrong -- that was her intent.

We talk all the time about how because of 9/11 we had to take off our shoes at airports or have tighter security. We don't all say because of the horrific actions of those 9 men (most from Saudi Arabia) all Muslim that killed all those people -- blah blah blah. None of us get accused of dismissing the terrorism if we don't specifically address the terrorists, the terrorism, etc. After 9/11 life changed. For all of us. For law abiding Muslims in the USA it was made tougher. It was. lIt does not dismiss the horrific attack, the hatred towards the USA of Al Qeida and those folks (mainly from Saudi Arabia) that p

That speech was carried live by Fox the night she gave it. Nobody said anything. It wasn't until someone chose to pick out those words and suggest she 'denied' the terrorism because she said 'some people did something'....that's not it at all.

And each day the spin gets bigger and more of the dummies at fox pick up from the original tweet and share it with the fans....and they eat it up.

“Cair was founded after 9/11 because they recognised that some people did something, and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties,” Omar said. The remark was criticised by Crenshaw and others, who said Omar’s description minimised September 11 and its perpetrators.

But a video of Omar’s full speech shows that the disputed remark followed from comments only a minute earlier in which Omar did mention terrorism. She complained that Islam was discussed in schools only in relation to Muslim terrorists.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:41 PM

And yes, she has a problem because of her religion and ethnicity. She is expected to choose her words much more carefully than any other American politician because folks are waiting for her to show that deep down she is some terrorism, supports terrorism, etc.

Funny how none of you have posted the endless quotes she has made about pledging her loyalty to the USA and upholding The Constitution, etc.....

Old 04-11-2019, 08:41 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
It really is a must read book. Her mutilation if Im not mistaken, actually happened in a refugee camp in Saudi Arabia. Its been 10 years or more since I read the book. Eye opening and intense. A page turner to be sure.
The Saudis do it - the woman who started driving there was subjected to it early in life.
Book: "Daring to Drive"
"She credits her strict parents with pushing her to excel academically, but also expresses anger over the painful female genital mutilation she had to endure as a child and the domestic abuse she suffered at home, as well as at the hands of her first husband." (this was allowed in SA).

Of course, we "love" the Saudis because they order 10's of billions in Arms from us. Why doesn't Trump and the Military Arms Makers and all their allies condemn the Saudis for genital mutilation, plural marriages, human rights violations and murdering journalists and all the other stuff?

That's a much more important question than whether some American Joe or Jane is critical of someone who isn't their Representative.

"Saudi Arabia tortured female right-to-drive activists, says Amnesty
Women’s accounts include being given electric shocks and flogged, hung from the ceiling, and subjected to sexual harassment"

A real question is why Americans are so selective about this stuff? Can the Saudis "buy" the right to murder, mutilate, torture, etc. from us...but the countries that can't afford that price are "bad"???

Old 04-11-2019, 08:42 PM

31,074 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
I don't hear Omar coming out and saying she has escaped the barbaric tradition of cutting off a child's genitals? She does seem to have the time to call whites and Jews Racists though.

She probably should go back to her White and Jewish free country of so her offspring can enjoy their wonderful Somalian Islamic traditions without the terrible discrimination she faces here

Old 04-11-2019, 08:45 PM

Link the quotes where she said all whites and Jews are racists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies