Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 07:47 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,095,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Ah, another racist post full of mistakes. Do you need remembering that the USA built itself on the "fruits of many nations"....Einstein, Von Braun and many others having made the modern world? Enrico Fermi - why, that sounds Italian! People like you said Italians and other Catholics turned this country to chit. Yep....

The first benefit of diversity is sitting right here. Me. I am a much stronger human being due to being of mixed heritage. Furthermore, going forward, my kids and grandkids and cousins are throwing some Asian, Irish, British and other "stocks" into the mix, making the line even strong and (hopefully) more disease resistant.

"You see more negatives"...I can only assume you are not a Capitalist, as areas with diverse populations in the USA generally have higher GDP and incomes.

So my "thoughts" are that you are 100% wrong. If you want "lack of diversity" head up to the hollers and see what the economic and social benefits of 100's of years of "lack of" has accomplished. Why are Boston and NYC and the Bay Area and LA and even certain areas in Texas and Florida BOOMING, whilst areas with less "diverse" populations are stagnating?

You know what the nazis called people like you? Special snowflakes.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:50 AM

62,996 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I am a white male who has worked from the age of 18 until I retired at 65. I have an advanced degree partly through hard work, partly through good luck. I have more in common with the black guy across town, or the Hispanic down the block than I will ever have with the Koch brothers or the President.

All you need to know about people is there are those who work and those who don't.
So are you stereotyping all whites as being like the Koch brothers or Trump? What about all the white mainstream Democrats? You don't get out much do you? There's a word for those who prefer people not of their own culture and race and it's called xenophilia. Not anymore healthy than be a xenophobe.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:50 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,731,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I would agree with that in principle. I have traveled quite a bit and met many different types of people, most of whom on a personal basis want the same thing as everyone else- peace, a job, protection for their family, a home, ect..... Some people, however, are real pieces of work, like the Italians- very rude and pushy (quite unlike Italian-Americans, who are just the opposite). The Scots, Irish, Danes and Dutch are by far the nicest people in Europe.

I have also spent some time as a kid hanging around in the south side of Chicago. That experience did not bode well for improving my perception of "diversity". One can see that climate of violence perpetuates today and has not changed much, with the exception of the area around Comisky Park has improved and you don't risk your life by going to the Ancient History Museum or the Univ of Chicago campus.

So I understand the goals of "diversity". However, in many situations in which they are implemented, living conditions decline, rather than improve. Witness the Twin Cities and Deerborne with the large influx of Muslims. In contrast, Des Moines had a large influx of Muslims, who were secularized Bosnians, which has added a cohort of hard working, pro-education people who embrace western values (because they had them in the first place).

What you are describing in the bolded is a cultural difference that you find negative/positive. Italians aren't rude and pushy... they are more direct and more physical than Americans. Similarly, northern Europeans are often non-confrontational. The issue is how you perceive these behaviors as an American. (And obviously I'm generalizing and going with the generalizations you brought up... there are, of course, quiet and non-confrontational Italians and outspoken, "pushy" northern Europeans.)

I work with foreign exchange student from all over the world. I've also met and interacted with some of their families. I help host families and students who struggle with culture shock and cultural clashes and it is absolutely fascinating to me. So one of the benefits I enjoy from diversity is some amazing insight into not only how others in the world live but also how Americans live. Believe it or not, interacting with people of other cultures has opened my eyes to the things that Americans do without even realizing it. We have a deeply ingrained sense of right and wrong that is not actually based on anything other than our own cultural preferences. I could write a book on this, but I won't... at least not right here and right now.

Aside from that major benefit, diversity brings understanding. People are people are people. That's really all there is to it. Are there evil people in every culture? Absolutely! But are most people in most cultures good and hardworking (even if it doesn't look that way to our American eyes) and kind and loving? Absolutely!

Smaller things include exposure to all types of food, finding amazing cultural events and locations in my own area that I never even knew were around (when you have a Thai student who is homesick, she will search far and wide for a Thai temple and ask you to join her even if it is 90 miles away... and we loved it!), an exposure to different religious practices and holidays, and on and on. We started hosting students when my children were preschool-aged and it has allowed them to be more global citizens despite not being able to travel much when they were young.

Ideally, diversity within a neighborhood will result in everyone getting along better, putting aside preconceived notions, and experiencing amazing tastes/sounds/sights that they otherwise would not have. In reality, unfortunately, having a Muslim neighbor often means that the white guy next door will still say, "Muslims are all ___________ (fill in the blank with whatever derogatory remarks you prefer), but I don't mean YOU. I mean those OTHER Muslims." (Substitute black people, Hispanics, French, Chinese, etc.) The answer to this is to promote more diversity, though, not less. When there's just one "other" family in your neighborhood, you might think they're the exception. When there are ten and they are all great people or even if there's one weird outlier, you tend to believe that they're the rule. I have a (white) neighbor who is a royal PITA but I don't think all white people are like that, just this jerk. Most of us have that family in our area who we wish would just move away. If they are the same race/nationality as you, you chalk it up to them being a difficult person/family, but if they're "other," then that can cause a wider bias, whether it's conscious or unconscious.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:51 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Isn't it fun living in this new America the liberals want so badly for the rest of us? Either you're faking rich like one of them while the real rich live in their homogenous neighborhoods, or you're labeled racist for being a foul mouthed working class American. This liberal utopia where there's no middle class, just rich and poor.
People won't fight for their neighborhoods, so what are you gonna do. I don't see the middle class stepping up for themselves. They seem to think they are going to benefit from this new diverse utopia.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:51 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,788,575 times
Diversity in and of itself is a fine thing.

But in the hands of politicians and bureaucrats, it becomes something very ignoble.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So are you stereotyping all whites as being like the Koch brothers or Trump? What about all the white mainstream Democrats? You don't get out much do you? There's a word for those who prefer people not of their own culture and race and it's called xenophilia. Not anymore healthy than be a xenophobe.

Americans aren't as xenophobic as liberal Europeans. At least anyone can assimilate into American culture.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:53 AM

38,646 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Ok, so based on your name it is evident you are a sports fan. So tell me; what would sports look like without diversity? What kind of product would we see?

Basketball would SUCK!!

Old 04-22-2019, 07:54 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Isn't it fun living in this new America the liberals want so badly for the rest of us? Either you're faking rich like one of them while the real rich live in their homogenous neighborhoods, or you're labeled racist for being a foul mouthed working class American. This liberal utopia where there's no middle class, just rich and poor.
Right, because us Run-of-the-Mill Easterners are the ones who closed the car plants and the steel plants, right?

We sat around and made the decisions...

Sorry to inform you of this, but the Trump tax cuts were targeted to make the rich richer. Same with virtually ALL tax cuts. Reagan marked the end of the "Rust Belt" jobs as he created policies that make offshoring pay big. In fact, much of it started before that.

My family made clothing. By 1974 the writing was on the wall...so maybe it was Nixon?

It's not folks like me who live in gated Communities. In fact, a very interesting factoid is that you will see very few gated Communities in New England. No......but there are a lot of gated communities throughout the South.

Not as many in the upper midwest either.

See a trend here??

You know those low wages you are complaining about (no middle class)? Who fights to keep them low? Yep - Conservatives! You see it right here on C-D every day.

C'mon, you are doing opposite backwards day again. Liberals believe in living wages and universal health care and merit-based subsidized schooling and the like...you know, to give people a "leg up".

Conservatives, as evidenced by Florida and Texas, believe in low wages. 46% of Floridians are barely (or not) making ends meet. That is due to conservative policies and politics.

Meanwhile, in the face of these statistics, our Republican leader (FL) declare that we are "great" and that things have never been better. They see absolutely no problem with 1/2 the population living in virtual poverty.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
People won't fight for their neighborhoods, so what are you gonna do. I don't see the middle class stepping up for themselves. They seem to think they are going to benefit from this new diverse utopia.

There's nothing to fight except the thinking that's different, it's not American and needs to be labeled as such. People need to leave religion out of it, it's giving up the middle class and becoming like every other country in the world. Assimilating into the world, just think what Americans would've said 20 years ago if you told them America should be like the rest of the world?

Old 04-22-2019, 07:57 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Right, because us Run-of-the-Mill Easterners are the ones who closed the car plants and the steel plants, right?

We sat around and made the decisions...

Sorry to inform you of this, but the Trump tax cuts were targeted to make the rich richer. Same with virtually ALL tax cuts. Reagan marked the end of the "Rust Belt" jobs as he created policies that make offshoring pay big. In fact, much of it started before that.

My family made clothing. By 1974 the writing was on the wall...so maybe it was Nixon?

It's not folks like me who live in gated Communities. In fact, a very interesting factoid is that you will see very few gated Communities in New England. No......but there are a lot of gated communities throughout the South.

Not as many in the upper midwest either.

See a trend here??
They don't have to be gated to be segregated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies