Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 06:43 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,380,063 times

Advertisements

The often parroted phrase, "Diversity makes us stronger," is one of the most mindless statements that has been shoved down our throats. There is zero evidence to support such a claim. Of course, everyone should be treated equally but that doesn't mean we must seek out diversity for the sake of diversity.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:45 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,703,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The US used to be "Europe West" and was made up of a population identical to that of the European nations of origin, which was initially nearly 100% England and Scotland.

Was that before or after the near extermination of Native Americans? Obviously you did not like that diversity or sharing land with Natives.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:47 AM

21,922 posts, read 9,491,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I believe that most Americans are programmed to be subconsciously racist against blacks. Ergo, I think America programs people, subconsciously, by intent or affect, to see blacks as inferior. No race is exempt from this programming.
Wow.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:47 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,658,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
All I know is that black people who are not descendants of the enslaved.....behave a lot differently than those who are. All nations that have oppressed black people have high rates of violent crime among those descendants. The US, the Caribbean, Brazil, South Africa, etc. Meanwhile, the murder rate in countries like Ghana is extremely low.

Yes...slavery ended 150 years ago but America did not stop picking on the descendants or the formerly enslaved. In fact, it allowed the creation of laws to suppress them. Hence, diversity is not the problem....the oppressing of diverse people is the problem.

Big difference- ever met someone from Ghana? They are VERY pro-education and family oriented.

I have run across several people from Ghana in the US and they are, by virtue of their culture, very successful.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:48 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,217,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
There is no excuse for ignorance. When you spend all your time with people who look ike you, think like you, worship like you, are in the same general economic class as you, that breeds ignorance. Funny thing about diversity. Humans are more alike to one another than they are different. It's just that the outward appearances stops some folks in their tracks. Ignorance.
Ignorance is forcing diversity on people who don’t care about it. Or don’t care for it. Let people live how they want.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:49 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Bragging rights and one-upmanship.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:53 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,929,119 times
Quote:
I often hear liberals tout "diversity" as being a wonderful goal that is obviously advantageous to everyone. The term "diversity" has been highjacked from genetics, in which genetic diversity is favorable for adaptation, and applied to social interractions with the presumption that it provides the obvious benefit seen in evolution.
To take from your reference to genetic diversity, the rationale would be that with a greater diversity of ideas, customs, religions, etc, "natural selection" would allow the best to survive and the worst to wither away. In practice, it sometimes takes several generations. However, I would point out that America, arguably the most successful nation in history, has always been a melting pot made up of immigrants from various cultures and ethnicities. This "mongrelization" I believe is the source of America's strength.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:53 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,089 times
Quote:
I would agree with that in principle. I have traveled quite a bit and met many different types of people, most of whom on a personal basis want the same thing as everyone else- peace, a job, protection for their family, a home, ect..... Some people, however, are real pieces of work, like the Italians- very rude and pushy (quite unlike Italian-Americans, who are just the opposite). The Scots, Irish, Danes and Dutch are by far the nicest people in Europe.

I have also spent some time as a kid hanging around in the south side of Chicago. That experience did not bode well for improving my perception of "diversity". One can see that climate of violence perpetuates today and has not changed much, with the exception of the area around Comisky Park has improved and you don't risk your life by going to the Ancient History Museum or the Univ of Chicago campus.

So I understand the goals of "diversity". However, in many situations in which they are implemented, living conditions decline, rather than improve. Witness the Twin Cities and Deerborne with the large influx of Muslims. In contrast, Des Moines had a large influx of Muslims, who were secularized Bosnians, which has added a cohort of hard working, pro-education people who embrace western values (because they had them in the first place).

Most of those countries you mentioned are monarchies, so their cost of living is very high... just an observation I've had with European countries that are monarchies, not correlated to any point you've made. The Netherlands does however have one of the highest if not the highest gun crime rate in Europe.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkpUyB2xgTM

Old 04-22-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Big difference- ever met someone from Ghana? They are VERY pro-education and family oriented.

I have run across several people from Ghana in the US and they are, by virtue of their culture, very successful.

I have been to Ghana a couple of times. Secondly, your point is not germane. Those descendants of enslaved Americans, whose ancestors originated in Ghana...don't have Ghanaian culture any longer, but rather, a culture that they learned in America from being oppressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies