Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2019, 07:58 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,400,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Americans aren't as xenophobic as liberal Europeans. At least anyone can assimilate into American culture.
Yes, anyone CAN assimilate, but many are now choosing not to and liberals encourage them not to do so. And you're absolutely correct, Americans and American society is much more open to foreigners and to foreign cultures. Most continental Europeans have a strong dislike of Asians and Asian culture/food for example.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:59 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,729,734 times
Quote:
You know what the nazis called people like you? Special snowflakes.
Actually, they "called" people like me to the town square where they shot us or put us in trains to the gas chambers.

But what is your point?

Old 04-22-2019, 08:02 AM

63,284 posts, read 29,374,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Many people seem to drastically overestimate the amount of diversity that is required to provide international cuisine to a community.
Oh yeah, that's much more important than cultural harmony....not! Ever heard of cookbooks or visiting another country?

Old 04-22-2019, 08:02 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,099,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Right, because us Run-of-the-Mill Easterners are the ones who closed the car plants and the steel plants, right?

We sat around and made the decisions...

Sorry to inform you of this, but the Trump tax cuts were targeted to make the rich richer. Same with virtually ALL tax cuts. Reagan marked the end of the "Rust Belt" jobs as he created policies that make offshoring pay big. In fact, much of it started before that.

My family made clothing. By 1974 the writing was on the wall...so maybe it was Nixon?

It's not folks like me who live in gated Communities. In fact, a very interesting factoid is that you will see very few gated Communities in New England. No......but there are a lot of gated communities throughout the South.

Not as many in the upper midwest either.

See a trend here??

You know those low wages you are complaining about (no middle class)? Who fights to keep them low? Yep - Conservatives! You see it right here on C-D every day.

C'mon, you are doing opposite backwards day again. Liberals believe in living wages and universal health care and merit-based subsidized schooling and the like...you know, to give people a "leg up".

Conservatives, as evidenced by Florida and Texas, believe in low wages. 46% of Floridians are barely (or not) making ends meet. That is due to conservative policies and politics.

Meanwhile, in the face of these statistics, our Republican leader (FL) declare that we are "great" and that things have never been better. They see absolutely no problem with 1/2 the population living in virtual poverty.

Nixon did create the EPA, and business hates regulation... maybe the east had the regulation bug after the EPA was created and drove out all the factory jobs. Conservatives really shouldn't be lumped into this, they've been accustomed to a slower pace of life.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:04 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,099,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Actually, they "called" people like me to the town square where they shot us or put us in trains to the gas chambers.

But what is your point?

And who saved them from the nazis? Don't you see the irony in nazism and Aryans?

Old 04-22-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They don't have to be gated to be segregated.
It does help tho...you must admit that!

I mean, I have homeless white people living within a few blocks (FL)....I wouldn't have that in a gated community, right?

Symbols do matter. When people live behind high concrete walls with barriers to entry they are making a statement of exclusion. It's false security, of course, but never the less they do it because it makes them feel safer....or makes them feel like they are in a club with "their own kind".

Old 04-22-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
And who saved them from the nazis? Don't you see the irony in nazism and Aryans?
No one saved them. They all died. One son was sent to the USA in 1910 and that's my line. A few escaped to Palestine before the Nazis or Russians or Poles killed them.

I don't understand your point. You must, so please explain. Should I thank them for murdering entire bloodlines because they didn't like "diversity"?

Old 04-22-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
To me, living around people who have value systems that are radically different from my own is a much, much bigger deal than what race my neighbors are.
I don't care what genetic race one is of. I don't care what their skin color is either. What's important to me is having cultural harmony in our society.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:07 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I often hear liberals tout "diversity" as being a wonderful goal that is obviously advantageous to everyone. The term "diversity" has been highjacked from genetics, in which genetic diversity is favorable for adaptation, and applied to social interractions with the presumption that it provides the obvious benefit seen in evolution.

However, the least diverse nations tend to be the most productive, wealthy, and crime free, while those nations with extensive ethnic diversity suffer. Diversity brings about lack of cultural cohesion, confusion over multiple different languages, and strife among the different ethnic groups. Witness the Bosnian War and the multiple wars in Africa- all fought over "diverse" groups failing to get along. Japan is an excellent example of complete lack of diversity, yet they thrive.

My alma mater was in a town that was essentially 100% white (sans the college students). A literal communist city council woman and subsequent mayor sought to make the city more "diverse" and actively recruited citizens from Chicago to come to the town. The town is much more "diverse" today with a much larger ethnic population. However, crime has gone up 10X, there is a part of the town identified and a "no go" area, city wide test scores have declined in schools, and students from the university are periodically victimized by the "diverse" citizens.

I went to a highschool that as 50% black, 10% Hispanic, and 10% Asian. Whites were a minority in the school. Crime was rife in the school and violence was quite common; most groups socialized among themselves and did not interact at all. My kids went to a highschool that was 15% Black, 5% Asian, and 5% Hispanic- the balance white. They had more "minority" friends than I did in highschool and routinely interacted with all students. There was no crime in the school whatsoever.

I am wondering what is the touted advantages of "diversity", as I see more negatives than positives. I understand the goal and perceived benefit, but I rarely see that occur when implemented. Any thoughts?
My thoughts are that your post is BS. You offer no evidence that countries where everyone is the same are safer or better, only your opinion. And we know how much an opinion is worth.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Americans aren't as xenophobic as liberal Europeans. At least anyone can assimilate into American culture.
They can but many don't or won't and that's the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies