Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2019, 12:57 PM

7,101 posts, read 6,022,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
The African countries and many Caribbean countries listed are all former colonies of Europeans that were left to rot. There is no mystery why their Governments are dysfunctional to this day. This isn't ancient history either, British rule in Lesotho (#6) didn't end until 1960's.

Just pointing out that these simplified arguments are silly without looking at how colonization among European countries affected the rest of the world. You have to let countries progress on their own, forcing it never works out in the end (Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Cuba, Colombia, Panama, on and on and on).
Agreed, but the argument is that I'M to blame for the downfalls of these countries simply because I'M a white male. The argument that black people are who they are because of what Europe did to them is historical in nature. All of the counties on the top 25 list are CURRENTLY not ruled by European regimes. That doesn't take away from the fact that Europeans screwed up the countries or their people, but times they are a changin' and it's time for folks to stop whining and get to fixing their current situations. Blaming the white man isn't going to help me get a high paying salary. Me going out and getting it will give me a high paying salary.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:01 PM

20,944 posts, read 8,731,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
^

I am not sure what you are driving at, nor do I think your example of MA is a good one. MA is overwhelmingly white and Christian, and if not for some of the big urban centers, you'd think you were on vacation in Europe with all the white Christian people.
Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Apparently you forget that Catholics are not Christians....at least according to the KKK and other real Christians. MA has the largest Portugese Community in the USA....one of the largest Irish, very large numbers of Puerto Ricans and Asians, etc.

Since the census is only once a decade it does lag...that is, in 2020 MA. will be more diverse than in 2010 and so on.

It sounds to me like you haven't been to Springfield (likely you would see Brazilians, Puerto Ricans, African Americans and most other groups) nor to the areas around Boston:
"Massachusetts is home to the second highest population of Portuguese-Americans with a total population of about 296,000."

300K is quite a few of just one "diverse" group.

10% in MA. are considered Hipanic - many more probably identify as "white". Lowell has the largest Cambodian population in the USA.

My point stands. The state is definitely "diverse" when compared to places like WV. And it works...in general. In fact, it places in the top 3 or 5 in most EVERY SINGLE ranking for health, education, income, life span and everything else.....

It's simple to just look at the inverse. WV is not diverse at all in the sense shown above. How are things there?

When I use the word "diverse", I am speaking in the normal sense. We have all ages, all types and MANY of recent immigrant status.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:01 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,784,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
As a black conservative, forced racial diversity only hurts me. When people see me at work they may think I'm a racial quota or affirmative action slot.

Racial diversity needs to be natural, when you force it, disaster happens. Like people of color dropping or transferring out of their racial quota Ivy league slots because their high schools did not fully prepare them for the rigorous coursework of college.

As a black man, we are 14% of the American population so we will never be the majority anywhere in this country, yet liberals continue to shove this divisive racial crap down our throat.
This was my exact point. Curiosity of those we perceive as being different than ourselves is natural. Not just racial but any other form of difference.

Our curious nature feeds diversity, naturally.

When it is forced, unfortunately you do have people with the perceptions of quotas being enforced.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:02 PM

16,770 posts, read 8,756,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Its a good example of a very diverse nation. Another good example is Congo in Africa, which is considered one of the most diverse countries in the world, although pretty much everyone there is black.

You are making the same mistake as the OP thinking diversity is all about race, when it is not.
I do not consider it wrong to consider what more closely binds us together, or keeps us further apart.
A societies culture is typically based on commonality, whether it be race, religion, language, ethnicity, class, political/social goals, etc.

When you have groups of people within a culture/society who think in diametrically opposed ways on major socioeconomic values, much of that stems from diversity rather than homogeneity.

So while there is nothing wrong with diversity if everyone is willing to assimilate into a common culture, the problems arise when our differences are accentuated, touted, and even cynically exploited.
Whether you want to admit it or not, that is a tactic the Democrats are currently fomenting for no other reason that they are betting it is a winning strategy to political power.
I find it ironic that having white men as the leading candidates to beat the "evil Donald Trump" is a perplexing dilemma, as if there is something wrong with voting for a white male.
The (D's) don't care if it fractures our traditional culture in that effort, they only care if they can achieve their power driven agenda to remake America.

`

Old 04-22-2019, 01:15 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,410,355 times
Diversity created my family. It made me more knowledgeable, kinder, more empathetic, less likely to jump to conclusions or submit to stereotypes. It made me a better doctor, a better mother, and a better friend.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:25 PM

20,944 posts, read 8,731,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I do not consider it wrong to consider what more closely binds us together, or keeps us further apart.

A societies culture is typically based on commonality, whether it be race, religion, language, ethnicity, class, political/social goals, etc.

The (D's) don't care if it fractures our traditional culture in that effort, they only care if they can achieve their power driven agenda to remake America.
I wonder why no one can tell me about this "traditional culture"????

Maybe I'm a fundamentalist, but I consider the French and American Revolution, in combination with the basic outlines of law set down by England, as our "commonality".

As with everything else, much of this is on a scale or a curve. Many C-D posters express opposition to many of these ideals...examples include those who value Authoritarianism and Nationalism over "all are created equal" and that kind of thing.

As a liberal I will agree on this - I always like to look for agreement!

That is, on that total scale of "weighting", there is a point that...if you fall below it, I don't want to live with you (in plural) in a close proximity where you have enough political or economic power to hurt me.

Now, that would go for ANY fundies...from Warren Jeffs to Evangelicals who often try to network and do business with only the people in their "flock". This type of thing is poison to our ways here.

On the other end, if a woman wears a head covering (as our Amish do here...and as do Muslims and even many strict Jews) that DOES NOT harm me. If said community gets together and votes down school funding because they have private schools....well, that also hurts me.

But I think the larger point here is that your traditions and your point of view and your skin color, etc. does not move that needle. I'd rather live near the French dude who can't speak English than the Evangelical Flock that looks at me as the Devil.

We have to separate personal preferences from what the true blessings of liberty are. Personal preferences are what the gated community near the mall is for. Live in a bubble if you want. Fine and dandy. But don't vote for Authoritarians who are not going to follow our REAL traditions of liberalism (French, American and British, etc.).

Old 04-22-2019, 01:35 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,945,881 times
What should be preached instead of diversity is tolerance. It is tolerance that allows diverse groups to function together and in the long run lessens diversity. You don’t see No Irish need Apply signs anymore.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:39 PM

16,770 posts, read 8,756,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Apparently you forget that Catholics are not Christians....at least according to the KKK and other real Christians.
What on earth are you talking about?

`

Old 04-22-2019, 01:45 PM

7,195 posts, read 4,788,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosep View Post
What town are you talking about?
He wants towns that are 100% white. It doesn’t matter what town-OP just wants to rag on diversity. Hasn’t got the memo about mostly white towns with high crime that’s related to opioid and heroin addiction.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:46 PM

6,036 posts, read 2,277,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
As a black conservative, forced racial diversity only hurts me. When people see me at work they may think I'm a racial quota or affirmative action slot.

Racial diversity needs to be natural, when you force it, disaster happens. Like people of color dropping or transferring out of their racial quota Ivy league slots because their high schools did not fully prepare them for the rigorous coursework of college.

As a black man, we are 14% of the American population so we will never be the majority anywhere in this country, yet liberals continue to shove this divisive racial crap down our throat.
Now the complaints you talk about won't go away regardless of who is in power or what "dribble" people are spewing. It's a perceived "force", there is no actual force there. If people are assuming you got a job through Affirmative Action it means they would assume you got it some other way if Affirmative Action did not exist. That is how I look at it, and to be honest I don't know any black people younger than 50 that have any clue if Affirmative Action played a role in anything. Let bitter people be bitter, not your job to sweeten them up.

And I blame both parties for Affirmative Action because I blame the culture that lead to it. It was American Culture to discriminate against black folks, both side were perfectly fine doing it. Again this is why I could care less if someone says I got an advantage with AA. How many advantages did you and your parents receive because my parents were not able to even apply for the job.

My Dad was barred from being a pilot in the Air Force in the 60's and was "Lucky" to even do maintenance on jet aircraft in the 70's. Per his CO it was best that he "Don't Fu** it up", that was said at a family dinner when he was a guest at our home in the 80's.

I get where you are coming from but if you think ending AA will help your cause, then I am telling you it won't regardless of its effectiveness. And people that complain know the real way to influence is money, not AA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies