Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 02:01 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,030 times

Advertisements

https://preview.msn.com/en-us/news/v...ill/vi-AABxX0h

Old 05-20-2019, 02:02 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,030 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VdGL0jmxOg

Old 05-22-2019, 10:58 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
There in lies the problem. You think we are more free today than we were back then. What I stated is I don't doubt our abilities to do things like saving money. That is all I said. We are not going to overcome the legacy of slavery and Jim Crow by saving and investing. The second lawmakers see we are organizing in the way you dream about, they will find a way to break it up through laws. They will say we are breaking some of kind of zoning law if we tried to establish a Black Wall Street type community. They will raise property taxes if we began investing in black communities, which that is what gentrification does. You need to deal with the bully in the room, not ignore him.

If you tried a campaign that brought in money from black America that was actually helping the community, the government would then hit that campaign with fraud claims. Which would then in turn cause black people to become weary of it, seeing as how they don't have a lot of money to invest anyway. (Our median income is around 38-40K a year)

I mentioned nothing of freedom. I said we have more income and more opportunities. Do you not feel we have more income and more opportunities? You said we could save money ourselves. If we can, then we can help ourselves and not be indebted to government via ADOS's "plans."

You are pulling at straws with the rest of your comment here and are just making up excuses as to why you don't want to advocate us helping ourselves.

I recently posted in a thread about NOI - NOI owns a significant amount of real estate, they own businesses and they own schools. They have existed as an organization for nearly 100 years now.

All these "what -ifs" and feelings/predictions of perpetual inferiority are silly to me.

Your fascination with "Black Wall Street" is misguided. I've told you before that nearly every black neighborhood in urban America had a black business corridor. There were also many black banks and insurance companies. There are still black banks/credit unions around. Instead of making up excuses you should encourage your ADOS folks to use their platform to encourage supporters to invest in our current businesses and financial institutions, invest in our current private schools, invest in our current non-profits that do a good job providing services in communities. There is no reason for all these excuses.

And $5 a month is something that anyone can invest. You are very excuse laden and like to push the subject back to government/white folks versus looking at what we/you can do. It is very strange and it does wreak of believing that you and we are inferior and incapable of doing anything.

On gentrification, so what about property taxes. If we pool resources and buy up our neighborhoods and live in them, no one will want to live around us anyway. White flight is still a "thing" and most whites don't want to live around a lot of black people. But if taxes are going up that means property value is going up as well. I own homes in areas that are gentrifying in Atlanta. From April to May, the value in one of those houses went up nearly $35k in 30 days! Our taxes may go from $1200 to $2500 next year if it goes up as much as we predict. We rent that house (to some white people BTW) and I'll raise their rent to pay the taxes and once the house is at a price where we can make $250k cash off the sale of it, we will sell it. We'll probably have to pay $20k in taxes but still will be ahead.

Our investment in our community could pool resources as well to pay older people's tax bills or to pay off people's mortgages. Again $5 a month for a year will yield 1.2 billion dollars. Most black people live in inexpensive homes compared to whites because of the white flight and them not wanting to live around us. Whiteness (or specifically non-blackness) is associated with high property taxes due to "demand." The largest buyers of real estate are white. Them seeing black neighborhoods as "undesirable" for their reasons they make up means if we hold onto our areas, they will perpetually be lower in taxes versus majority white or non-black areas.

You seem to pay way more attention to them than they pay to us. We are poor ghetto dwellers in their minds and if we stop speaking about them and engaging with them and focus on us, we can do WTH we want to do without them noticing anything because they have these fantasy stereotypes about us that they are heavily invested in. You thinking of them all the time is making them a god in your mind that will be punishing whatever you do (i.e. inferiority complex)

Old 06-07-2019, 01:23 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,047,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Marcus Garvey was Jamaican.

Another colleague of Garvey, was Dusé Mohamed Ali who was of Egyptian & Sudanese descent.

And for West Indians, Malcolm X's mother was from Grenada, Stokely Carmichael/Kwame Ture, was a major figure of the CRM and black power movement.

The Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture is named after Arthur Schomburg, who was of Puerto Rican (& West Indian, if memory serves me correct) descent.

Piri Thomas won acclaim for writing about his experiences as a mulato Puerto Rican dealing with racism in pre Civil Rights America.

Before Jesse Jackson made his unsuccessful Presidential bid; Shirley Chisholm, of West Indian descent, became the 1st Presidential candidate of African descent for a major party.

Now its true that recent immigrants and their children might have different points of view & perspectives than someone of fully American slave descent, but people of African descent who were not descendants of American slaves have been at the forefront of ensuring all Americans have a shot at Life, Liberty & the Pursuit of Happiness!!

The fact of the matter is, Americans of recent African, Caribbean and Latin American origin played major roles both before, during and after the Civil Rights Movement.

Marcus Garvey, Stokely Carmichael (aka Kwame Ture), Shirley Chisholm, Arturo Schomburg, Piri Thomas, Malik El Shabazz and many others who I could mention but I think I made my point.

These people and the immigrant groups they came from were not born with silver spoons in their mouth. The places they immigrated from were not the Garden of Eden either.

Neither were they necessarily greeted with understanding from white OR black Americans once they got here.

And yes, that's a fact.

Again the current generation, wholly born & raised by the globalist plantation system is a 180 from the generation during the Bandung era BUT that doesn't mean that there are not inspiring events & activities from that era.

Malcolm X Speaks, p. 72.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies