Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2019, 12:22 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
As an African American, it's insulting and racist to think Blacks need extra handouts from the government tit in order to prosper in society. The Ben Carsons and Barack Obamas didn't need reparations and neither does anyone else.

If you don't like America you are more than welcome to purchase a passport, fly to an African country, and seek asylum from evil America.

Whether we "Need" it is not germane. The question is whether or not we suffer a deficit because of historical injustices. If we do, then we are "owed" it....minimally, in the form of acknowledging the origin of the deficit.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:20 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
They can call themselves whatever they want, but they're not ever going to be ADOS, irrespective of how many generations their immigrant family has been in the United States.

That's the beauty of the term. It's specific heritage. "Black American" and "African-American" are both ambiguous.
True in the vast majority of cases. However, there are small pockets of people who descend from American slaves in the Caribbean. For example, many people from Samaná in the Dominican Republic and the Merikins in Trinidad. Those people would be ADOS.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:59 PM

2,423 posts, read 1,451,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Every bum seeks a handout.

If blacks worked as hard at education and maintaining family units as they are at sticking up the Federal government for a huge handout, there would be no problem.

I find the "reparations" movement to be a comfortable refuge for vacating personal responsibility and at the same time seeking a financial bonanza for lack of accomplishment. It is like finishing sixth in a race and demanding the first place trophy, as the fast guys "kept you down".

Reparations is an encapsulation of the notion of democrat victimhood and vilification of white men. Every loser seeks an excuse; motivated, confident individuals need no excuses. Tiger Woods did not "demand" a new Masters golf trophy for finishing third last year due to "racism". He won the tournament (again) due to excellence and determination from a guy with a bad back and a bum knee. Too bad others can't learn from his example. And................. keep in mind he was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

The debt is the debt, and trillions are owed. You can say whatever your opinion is, however reparations isn't up for our opinions. The data bears it all out. You can call it a handout all you want, it doesn't matter to those who know the data. We're talking about the descendants of those who built America, being kept at the bottom. Reparations is our inheritance, it's our right.

This is one thing the ADOS movement is really bringing out in the open. Too long we've let people run us over, and use our struggle in this country to lift themselves up. No more with that. A righteous anger has gone out among black Americans, and for good reason. Without reparations, we will perish as a class in this nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I applaud your effort and agree with the spirit of efforts, even though I am pessimistic that it would or could ever come to fruition in a nation that is, still, pretty much racist. I think, however, that the conversation NEEDS to be had as the conversation will EXPLAIN our current condition by linking it to our past conditions.

I think that it is very important, in competition, to know why you are doing badly. If you compete in sports and you keep ending up in last place, as a team or individual, you risk seeing yourselves as "losers" and "inferior". Consequently, that inner self image or belief has the nocebo effect, which is the opposite of the placebo effect. In other words, you will do worse because you believe you are worse.

In light of that, black people need to be kept aware, in this competition of life, that the game was rigged against them by the system of white supremacy and hence, created a culturally and economically inheritable disadvantage. It's akin to a relay race. Each new generation gets passed the baton from where the previous generation left off. In other words, they inherit any displacement that the previous runner had. Civil Rights did not "restart" the relay, making all "teams" start equal, it just passed a law that essentially meant that made it against the rule to start new races unequally, however, the race WE ARE IN, had been started hundreds of years ago and the unfairness resulted in large gaps between OUR TEAM and the others.

The ADOS movement is a good way to keep the present linked to the past, as the present is the creation and summation of the past. Without this national introspection on the conditions that black people endured, the nation is left to see the black displacement as the result of the inner failings of blacks. In other words, the nature of blacks. Not only will the nation see it that way.....but so will black people. This is why the story MUST be told and ADOS, the movement, can get that story told.

One of the founders of the ADOS movement, Attorney Antonio Moore, said black America was actually the shoes other groups used to run their race to better themselves. Now that the shoes are worn down, this country seeks to throw us away for a new pair. So we're not going to let that happen. This country is not going to leave us with the poverty of slavery and Jim Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Having conferences and posting on social media is not actually "real work."

There have been many groups/organizations that have done the same thing. Nothing that ADOS shares for those of us who are educated about the political history of blakc America is new. The same sorts of things were done in the 19th century via "colored conventions" and the same complaints about those conventions back then are similar to ADOS today - that it is all talk and no progress.

I agree with Indentured Servant that just getting reparations would do nothing. It would be better to fund our own reparations because white supremacy is still prevalent in America and putting another so called "benefit" in the hands of the US government is only going to invite non-black and non "descendants of slaves" into the mix.

If you will be at the conference, bring up the idea to start a national non-profit called ADOS and encourage them to write a mission and use your social media platform to ask for donations to administer such research and programs yourself to get black people the assistance you feel they/we need for specific areas.

The whole idea of having government involved IMO is just a turnoff and the movement only attracts people who want to talk about problems and blame people for problems but offer no solutions and who don't have a good breadth of the history of our nation when it comes to dealing with white supremacy ideology and the impact that it has had on us.

I see something different. Already we have caused these politicians to talk about reparations. We're just getting heated up. We're exposing the failure of our "black leadership" in the Black Caucus and these talking heads on MSNBC like Joy Reid and Al Sharpton. We are also exposing the veil black athletes and entertainers try to pull over our eyes, as though by looking at their riches, that we too have somehow made it. No other organization has gone this deep. Yet we're still growing and will make more noise. We aren't done with our accomplishments. As we speak, a team of economists and experts are being formed to come up with a reparations plan. It will be headed by Professor William "Sandy" Darity out of Duke University. We are getting this thing down to a science!

Old 05-07-2019, 08:16 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I have also thought the same thing,this is why I don't support ados. I support some sort of reparations. But the vocal rhetoric coming from ados community is no different than white racist and white supremacist. Not for nothing ados is causing a huge rift within the black community. When you have people who follow ados and start unfriending people because they are jamaican or African, or break up with a boyfriend because he is an afro Dominican is really troubling and shows ados comes not from logic but from emotion. Since ados comes from emotion, ados comes from a position of weakness and a position of victim.

Right! #ADOS makes many points that I actually agree with but like most "movements", you can agree with them on five things but as soon as you disagree on one, you're cancelled. I'm in agreement that reparations are owned and all minorities by they black foreigners, mestizos, mulattos, zambos, or AAPI have used our struggle to better themselves or to say "us too" (the only one's who haven't really used the black struggle are the Native Americans at this point). That said, I'm not going to just start unfriending anyone and everyone who doesn't have the same roots that I do, and it certainly doesn't mean that I can't have empathy for others.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
The debt is the debt, and trillions are owed. You can say whatever your opinion is, however reparations isn't up for our opinions. The data bears it all out. You can call it a handout all you want, it doesn't matter to those who know the data. We're talking about the descendants of those who built America, being kept at the bottom. Reparations is our inheritance, it's our right.

This is one thing the ADOS movement is really bringing out in the open. Too long we've let people run us over, and use our struggle in this country to lift themselves up. No more with that. A righteous anger has gone out among black Americans, and for good reason. Without reparations, we will perish as a class in this nation.

One of the founders of the ADOS movement, Attorney Antonio Moore, said black America was actually the shoes other groups used to run their race to better themselves. I think everyone knows this at this point, even if they don't admit it. Now that the shoes are worn down, this country seeks to throw us away for a new pair. So we're not going to let that happen. This country is not going to leave us with the poverty of slavery and Jim Crow. And yes, reparations are owed, but the organization (like most) get hijacked by radicals. Hence the reason, I find it hard to be apart of them. I'd rather support the goal from a distance.

I see something different. Already we have caused these politicians to talk about reparations. We're just getting heated up. We're exposing the failure of our "black leadership" in the Black Caucus and these talking heads on MSNBC like Joy Reid and Al Sharpton.But who the hell has ever taken Al Sharpton seriously? Joy Reid is a political commentator. Nothing more, nothing less. We are also exposing the veil black athletes and entertainers try to pull over our eyes, as though by looking at their riches, that we too have somehow made it. No other organization has gone this deep. Yet we're still growing and will make more noise. We aren't done with our accomplishments. As we speak, a team of economists and experts are being formed to come up with a reparations plan. It will be headed by Professor William "Sandy" Darity out of Duke University. We are getting this thing down to a science!

One problem that black people have is that we are too VOCAL about exactly what we are doing. Non-profits is one thing, social media for advocacy is one thing, but we often go into too much detail [publicly] about how we to accomplish something and as a result, the plans are intercepted.

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 05-07-2019 at 08:29 PM..

Old 05-08-2019, 07:34 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:

I see something different. Already we have caused these politicians to talk about reparations. We're just getting heated up. We're exposing the failure of our "black leadership" in the Black Caucus and these talking heads on MSNBC like Joy Reid and Al Sharpton. We are also exposing the veil black athletes and entertainers try to pull over our eyes, as though by looking at their riches, that we too have somehow made it. No other organization has gone this deep. Yet we're still growing and will make more noise. We aren't done with our accomplishments. As we speak, a team of economists and experts are being formed to come up with a reparations plan. It will be headed by Professor William "Sandy" Darity out of Duke University. We are getting this thing down to a science!

On the above:

1 - Politicians talk a lot of bull sh*t to get people to vote for them. Them "talking" doesn't mean theyw ill do any thing.

2 - I agree that CBC needs to re-focus on specific policies related to black America; however reparations should not be the only or primary focus of CBC. And Joy Reid/Al Sharpton are media figures and are not "black leaders." I agree they are "talking heads" but so are the ADOS "leaders." Sharpton in particular has his own organization and has meetings/conventions as well and creates "plans" that never amount to anything similar to what ADOS is planning to do according to your post.

3 - Only silly people think that an athlete/entertainer's money means they "made it." That is an odd thing to believe. I've never met any black person who is poor who thinks that black people has "made it" because of an athlete or entertainer's wealth...

4 - Coming up with a plan is not doing anything. Sorry but I guess because I've worked a lot with government, I know that plans don't mean sh*t. I'm sorry if that is harsh, but they really don't.

The whole belief that some politician is going to save you with reparations is kind of immature or that you cannot do anything about your financial situation regarding wealth - again shows that one is embracing an inferiority complex. I'll note, I'm similar to other posters. I do believe reparations are "owed" but I don't trust the government and I don't trust the leaders of this so-called "movement" to do anything about getting anything done other than talking and writing plans. I know that talking and writing plans does nothing. I know because I've been a project manager for various government agencies and I work with them to formulate plans along with "expert" consultants (your Sandy Darity would be a consultant). If they have no one backing this "plan" in government it is not going to get done. You'd be amazed at how many plans never amount to anything.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:45 AM

30,072 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:

One of the founders of the ADOS movement, Attorney Antonio Moore, said black America was actually the shoes other groups used to run their race to better themselves. Now that the shoes are worn down, this country seeks to throw us away for a new pair. So we're not going to let that happen. This country is not going to leave us with the poverty of slavery and Jim Crow.

Reparations will never happen- get over it.

Reparations is used as a political talking tool, but no sitting POTUS will ever press legislation for it and no Senate or Congress will approve it.

Why not? The political backlash may precipitate another Civil War, and any politician who supports such a notion (unless in a predominantly black district) will be voted out of office.

Do you really believe that Americans are going to sacrifice their future to pay you reparations? Think about it for just a second. Who in their right mind is going to vote to give black America trillions of dollars and sacrifice infrastructure, other entitlement programs, the military, and agricultural programs for 12% of the population, half of which are not decendents of slaves?

Believing that reparations will actually occur is delusional. It is like the people who fantasize about winning the lottery.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:55 AM

2,423 posts, read 1,451,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
One problem that black people have is that we are too VOCAL about exactly what we are doing. Non-profits is one thing, social media for advocacy is one thing, but we often go into too much detail [publicly] about how we to accomplish something and as a result, the plans are intercepted.
Of course I'm not worried about being public in what we want to accomplish. If millions of black Americans know the data concerning their life, I don't see how anyone can stop them from fighting for what is owed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the above:

1 - Politicians talk a lot of bull sh*t to get people to vote for them. Them "talking" doesn't mean theyw ill do any thing.

2 - I agree that CBC needs to re-focus on specific policies related to black America; however reparations should not be the only or primary focus of CBC. And Joy Reid/Al Sharpton are media figures and are not "black leaders." I agree they are "talking heads" but so are the ADOS "leaders." Sharpton in particular has his own organization and has meetings/conventions as well and creates "plans" that never amount to anything similar to what ADOS is planning to do according to your post.

3 - Only silly people think that an athlete/entertainer's money means they "made it." That is an odd thing to believe. I've never met any black person who is poor who thinks that black people has "made it" because of an athlete or entertainer's wealth...

4 - Coming up with a plan is not doing anything. Sorry but I guess because I've worked a lot with government, I know that plans don't mean sh*t. I'm sorry if that is harsh, but they really don't.

The whole belief that some politician is going to save you with reparations is kind of immature or that you cannot do anything about your financial situation regarding wealth - again shows that one is embracing an inferiority complex. I'll note, I'm similar to other posters. I do believe reparations are "owed" but I don't trust the government and I don't trust the leaders of this so-called "movement" to do anything about getting anything done other than talking and writing plans. I know that talking and writing plans does nothing. I know because I've been a project manager for various government agencies and I work with them to formulate plans along with "expert" consultants (your Sandy Darity would be a consultant). If they have no one backing this "plan" in government it is not going to get done. You'd be amazed at how many plans never amount to anything.

To your third point, as much as black celebrity is thrown at us, we can clearly see black America is kept asleep because of them. Virtually all of black America have no wealth, but we are constantly inundated with the lives of Lebron James, Steph Curry, and other sports figures. Then you have entertainers who hop on the wealth building train through black business, as you might agree. The problem here is, people like Jay Z who promote buying up the hood and doing black business, they themselves are hooked onto white capital. They have no real business of their own. They own no markets, no industry. They are not producers. The truth is, no group is able to build wealth on their own. Everything white Americans have, they got through government. We will be no different, except we are owed a lot more.

So you say you don't trust the government. Well, are you suggesting we become our own government, our own nation? That's really what it comes down to, but you know that would be crazy to say. How do you expect to "do for self" and build black business, within the same country who actively keeps you down and stand in your way? You got to address the bully in the room before you talk about wealth building. What's to stop our government from coming up with laws that impede what you want to do for yourself? Don't tell me you are freer than our ancestors to accomplish these things. It's white capital's job to make sure you make no advancement as a group. How can you compete with the Amazon's of the world, the Walmart's? They have entire industries and are running our politicians. They designed it to where you can't break in, much less compete. So reparations isn't just about getting a check. It's about turning us into a class of producers in this nation, and having protections to ensure we can actually build wealth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Reparations will never happen- get over it.

Reparations is used as a political talking tool, but no sitting POTUS will ever press legislation for it and no Senate or Congress will approve it.

Why not? The political backlash may precipitate another Civil War, and any politician who supports such a notion (unless in a predominantly black district) will be voted out of office.

Do you really believe that Americans are going to sacrifice their future to pay you reparations? Think about it for just a second. Who in their right mind is going to vote to give black America trillions of dollars and sacrifice infrastructure, other entitlement programs, the military, and agricultural programs for 12% of the population, half of which are not decendents of slaves?

Believing that reparations will actually occur is delusional. It is like the people who fantasize about winning the lottery.
If reparations will make folks want to have another Civil War, that shows us exactly how people feel about black Americans. What, the bailouts didn't make you want to have a Civil War? The money Obama's administration gave to Holocaust survivors didn't make you want to go to war? Trump's tax cuts for the wealthy people who already don't pay taxes, didn't make you want to go to war? Of all the crap you decide to be mad at, the just act of repairing the hundreds of years of terrorism and bondage to black Americans, is what folks would choose to kill over. Okay.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:23 AM

But if you are going to go public about the plans, at least wait until AFTER the plans are complete and not while they are pending. That's just my $0.02.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePT View Post
Do you ever discuss this with black Americans? Do you know truly know the history and legacy of the issues at hand?
For some reason I doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies