Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2019, 08:07 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Those organizations are all federally funded. They are actually competing to get the funding meant for minorities.

People don't realize that census figures are used to allocate funds to minorities for these types of programs, and the "hispanic" group has been fighting to get most of this money for decades. In the 70s, they complained that "all the federal money is going to the blacks!", and fought to become recognized as a minority group for the express purpose of getting this money. That's why they invented "hispanic" - so they could get their hands on funding and benefits that were meant for black people.

That's our reparations money that's going to Spanish people and other foreigners who were never historically excluded in the United States, didn't fight the civil rights movement, and have no business getting any of that.
But Federal dollars are used for multiple things, not merely minority grants.....Also if you are relying solely on the federal government for the reparations, you are going to be rather disappointed.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
You've repeated this mess before in regards to your disdain for Latinos/Hispanics....

Right? He obviously had a disdain for them. I'll admit that I get frustrated with them at times, however I would not say I have the same level of contempt as the poster you are responding to.

Federal grants are not specific to race or minority status. Federal funding cannot be used based on race at all and they are not. I've worked administering grants before and applying for grants before. None of them are specific to race or minority status. They are usually focused on research, housing/neighborhood stabilization, or on improving some sort of "outcome" be it health, educational, or some other socio-economic category.

Well, there actually are some Native American schools funded by the federal government as well as federal grants based on cultural heritage

https://www.teachforamerica.org/stor...ng-left-behind
Grants for Minority Students

And the census is used primarily to allot the number of representatives that will represent districts/localities/states in Congress.

There are no current "reparations" programs for black people and the census has no bearing on allocating funds to "minorities." HUD and educational funding are the only programs that are dependent on census figures and they are based on the number of people living in an area and their income status, not their race/ethnity (i.e. minority status). There are specific HUD programs that help 98% white people in this country via the USDA rural funding initiatives. Rural school districts also get federal funding related to poverty levels, etc.
On the bold, I used to work for the food stamp program in my home state and I've come across cases like this.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:47 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,584,880 times
How many current living blacks have ever experienced slavery?
And if they haven't, what exactly would they be receiving reparations for?

I'd imagine that one of the best places for a black person to be born in the world is the United States or Europe. So compare the average life outcome of someone born in some African S***hole with someone born in the US as a consequence of enslaved ancestors, my guess is that even if slavery was a horrible atrocity for the ancestor, whatever got the descendant to be born in the US is a pretty great deal for that descendant, regardless of which step on the socioeconomic ladder that person in in relative american terms.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
My parents and their parents are from Jamaica. Im a descendant of slavery but not of American slavery.
Does that mean I dont get reparations? I guess Ill have to try to get it from the British?
Something tells me that you may be getting those sooner than you think.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:00 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
We have been writing articles, interviewing economists, and have a conference coming up in October. We have Marianne Williamson coming to that conference, and trying to get Cornel West. Of course other than Marianne, all the 2020 candidates are also welcome to come and make their case to black America in why we should vote for them. We're doing real work, along with our advocacy on social media. We are taking that data and breaking down a picture of black life here in America. Laying out the case for reparations. No other organization or movement has done this to the degree we're doing it.

Having conferences and posting on social media is not actually "real work."

There have been many groups/organizations that have done the same thing. Nothing that ADOS shares for those of us who are educated about the political history of blakc America is new. The same sorts of things were done in the 19th century via "colored conventions" and the same complaints about those conventions back then are similar to ADOS today - that it is all talk and no progress.

I agree with Indentured Servant that just getting reparations would do nothing. It would be better to fund our own reparations because white supremacy is still prevalent in America and putting another so called "benefit" in the hands of the US government is only going to invite non-black and non "descendants of slaves" into the mix.

If you will be at the conference, bring up the idea to start a national non-profit called ADOS and encourage them to write a mission and use your social media platform to ask for donations to administer such research and programs yourself to get black people the assistance you feel they/we need for specific areas.

The whole idea of having government involved IMO is just a turnoff and the movement only attracts people who want to talk about problems and blame people for problems but offer no solutions and who don't have a good breadth of the history of our nation when it comes to dealing with white supremacy ideology and the impact that it has had on us.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:01 AM

So this is one of the founders of the movement. Yvette Carnell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYJyLm1Ryd0

The other one is Antonio Moore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTb9hY6Iw_E

Old 05-07-2019, 09:04 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRSJpcRgXjo

Old 05-07-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Well, there actually are some Native American schools funded by the federal government as well as federal grants based on cultural heritage

https://www.teachforamerica.org/stor...ng-left-behind
Grants for Minority Students

On this from the OP - none of those are federal grants for minorities. The 2nd website you posted is not from the federal government. If you scroll down and see the federal grants offered they are for:

Pell Grants (based on income)
Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (based on income)
Academic Competitiveness Grant - based on STEM majors
National SMART Grant - extension of Academic Competitiveness Grant that is for poor students who qualify for Pell.

Some states and local governments sometimes have grants/scholarships for "minority" students but not many of them do. They are usually based on "need" (like Pell Grants) or "merit" and not race.

Only scholarships I personally know about that are given specifically to African American students come from the Congressional Black Caucuses foundation (which is privately funded by donations). I received a CBC scholarship for my undergrad fees. I also got a scholarship from a fund funded by Oprah Winfrey, and one via the Foot Locker Foundation from UNCF and another one from UNCF that I cannot remember the corporate sponsor - all of them except CBC were based upon me attending an HBCU and so anyone of any race/ethnicity can receive those scholarships if they are student (whites, Latinos, and indigenous Americans and Asians actually do attend HBCUs).

On Native American schools - all public schools are funded by the federal government and even some private colleges/universities. HBCUs get federal funding as well.

Contrary to what people believe race is not a factor in grants in government and there are WAY more grants in federal government versus education. HUD grants are usually what people are speaking of when they mention "grants" because they think the money is based on the racial makeup of communities when really it is based on the income and population of that area. If the population lives in a federally owned building, the physical condition of the building is also taken into consideration in regards to "capital funds" to maintain and/or improve that facility. The federal government owns some of the best real estate in all our major urban areas as people in the mid 20th century didn't want to live in cities but now they are returning and there is a large amount of interest in those properties/lands. That is why so many public housing locations are being turned into "mixed income/mixed use" communities. The Feds are eventually going to divest itself from property ownership and sell those holdings to private investors.

FWIW this is one of the reasons I feel Trump is heavily going to enrich his family in real estate as a result of his presidency and him consistently putting HUD secretaries in place who have no idea about what HUD does and the fact that HUD is how his dad got rich (from building publicly funded buildings/projects). Contractors and real estate investors know that HUD funding is billions upon billions of dollars annually and they and property management/investment companies stand to make a killing in the housing market. Even though I think in most things related to government Trump is an idiot - I don't believe he is when it comes to housing and HUD dollars because that was his family's primary business and you cannot be in the real estate market as a wealthy individual if you are not aware of how HUD funds and programs work and today primarily benefit investors, contractors, and property management corporations.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Having conferences and posting on social media is not actually "real work."

There have been many groups/organizations that have done the same thing. Nothing that ADOS shares for those of us who are educated about the political history of blakc America is new. The same sorts of things were done in the 19th century via "colored conventions" and the same complaints about those conventions back then are similar to ADOS today - that it is all talk and no progress.

I agree with Indentured Servant that just getting reparations would do nothing. It would be better to fund our own reparations because white supremacy is still prevalent in America and putting another so called "benefit" in the hands of the US government is only going to invite non-black and non "descendants of slaves" into the mix. Plus, do we REALLY want the red tape and the guilt trips that would come with funding from the Federal Government (that so many are complaining about) if we were to step "out of line?"

If you will be at the conference, bring up the idea to start a national non-profit called ADOS and encourage them to write a mission and use your social media platform to ask for donations to administer such research and programs yourself to get black people the assistance you feel they/we need for specific areas.

The whole idea of having government involved IMO is just a turnoff and the movement only attracts people who want to talk about problems and blame people for problems but offer no solutions and who don't have a good breadth of the history of our nation when it comes to dealing with white supremacy ideology and the impact that it has had on us.
I'd like to see more of us with political power, more of us in power in corporations, good quality schools for black students. A check is nice, but too much red tape depending on who it's coming from.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
So this is one of the founders of the movement. Yvette Carnell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYJyLm1Ryd0

The other one is Antonio Moore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTb9hY6Iw_E

Wanted to note, I've watched quite a few of the videos of ADOS.

I actually do agree with a lot of what they state, but I feel that the gist of the movement is that they are invested in a black inferiority complex - something that is akin to them embracing the white supremacy ideology.

Evidence of this is:

1 - not believing black people can acquire wealth today now that barriers our ancestors faced have been reduced

2 - believing that we need government to "give" us something

This entire movement IMO is primarily based on

1 - begging for reparations instead of investing in our communities and building our own wealth (it is time we do this)

2 - encouraging black people not to vote in the election based on reparations

On the #2 above, if you go to ADOS' website they actually quote Trump on their home page and for me that is very telling about the goal of the organization.

IMO many of our young people who refuse to read and learn about the previous struggles and movements in black America to see that this is just re-hashing of the same things we've always done - they are just buying into the begging because they also are invested in an inferior view of them/ourselves based on them being reared in a country that relegates blackness as inferior to all others in this nation.

The best way to make us better is to take care of our own. For them to actually trust any political candidate to do what they say and not just talk sh*t to get the ADOS folks to vote for them is ridiculous. I think a lot of younger black people will note vote because of the ADOS foolishness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies