Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 10:56 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
The fact that this topic gets thoughtful discussion only proves how radical the left has become.

Scary times are ahead.
I consider myself to be a centrist actually. That said, the radical left has gotten out of hand. I believe that there are level headed individuals on both sides and there are jerks on both.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:57 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I consider myself to be a centrist actually. That said, the radical left has gotten out of hand. I believe that there are level headed individuals on both sides and there are jerks on both.
I'm in agreement.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:30 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
I guess my next question is what steps will be taken to verify who’s ADOS and who’s non-ADOS? Are we going to just start asking for every black persons genealogy records? If so, it would reveal that some ADOS really aren’t as ADOS as they thought.

It's not hard.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:43 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
It’s not about the “People” that the argument for reputations is made against, its tot he federal goverment. I do believe that if a case was brought against the Fedral goverment for turning a blind eye to Jim Crow laws that the plaintiff would win and the payout would be huge.

Again we are talking about Federally Sanctioned acts that directly targeted a subsection of the American population via race alone with ramifications to that very community today. You can imagine how large of a number we are talking here, literally 1865-1960’s.

Surely someone who claims to hate goverment tyranny would understand a argument that directly points to federal policy that allowed discrimination on race alone.
Here's the thing though. No one alive today including our government officials of today had anything to do with the past. Those people are all dead now. If these victim groups go after our government then they are going after mainstream Americans to because if there are any monetary reparations made guess who will have to pay for it?

Even these victim groups weren't alive back then it was their ancestors that were. The past and those people are all gone now. It's time to move on.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:44 AM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Reparations are just plain stupid! None of us alive today had anything to do with a long ago past.
Also, there's nothing to "repair". African-Americans owe their lives to slavery in this country. They would never have been born without it.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:01 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
America would much rather spend money to lock black people up as opposed to spending money to educate and help pull up the black community. People say that we have thrown money on social problems to help people, but it never fixes the problem and may make things worse. Yet, how long have we thrown money into law enforcement and prisons? The US is 4.4% of the worlds population, but house 22% of the worlds prisoners....yet, crime still flourishes. Why are not people willing then, to stop trowing money into policing and prison because that approach has not worked and created other problems as well?

If someone came with a proposal to improve the quality of life in America and increase GDP, via targeted investments, would you reject it? Has anyone ever did the accounting in regards to what America is loosing by having a black poverty rate 3 times that of whites, black wealth 15 times less than whites, black violent crime rates 5 times that of whites? What is the cost to the taxpayer? What is the cost to GDP? What is the cost to the feeling of "safety" as it relates to the fear of crime (which often is seen with a black face)?

I submit the argument that America is ALREADY paying a cost....re-actively. That cost is increased welfare burdens, decreased GDP, increased crime and tax burden, decreased peace of mind, etc, from the socioeconomic racial inequality that exists between blacks and whites. If someone came up with a "Marshall Plan" to improve the outcomes of the black community so that the community can then self sustain equality (assuming white racism is kept in check), it would be a win for the country as a whole in the long run. Why would not people want increased national GDP, decreased welfare payments, decreased crime, etc?

This is where current racism comes into play. When its assumed that crime, poor behavior, bad choices, lower performance, etc, is due to the NATURE of blacks and not things/wrongs that have been done to blacks, then such a "Marshall Plan" is seen as absurd, if not laughable. Certainly it would be a waste to try to spend money to try to change the natural order of nature, which is white superiority over blacks. No amount of money can make blacks perform and behave on the same level as whites and thus any such effort is seen as "Punishing" tax payers, which of course, are only whites.

Tax payers, aka...whites, would rather spend money on police and prisons....than on trying to repair a people that are broken/dysfunctional by NATURE. Hence, current taxpayers, aka whites, will never agree to pay reparations because the taxpayer sees the nature of blacks as the REAL problem of blacks....and they feel they are being punished and made to support a non organic "equality". The organic order, to taxpayers, is white superiority.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 04-25-2019 at 12:09 PM..

Old 04-25-2019, 12:07 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
The ADOS movement is something isn't it? It started to distinguish black descendants of slaves from foreign black people. I get it. There's some truth to the movement, such as foreign blacks wanting to jump on the struggle that ADOS endured and only wanting to unite when it's convenient for them (some nationalities more than others). That said, my critique of this movement comes is the same for most other "pro-black" movements. The minute you disagree with them about anything (it could be something as minor as the color of the sky), you are a "sell out." Like most movements of this sort, they get hijacked.

Where do you stand on this movement?

How do you feel about reparations?

Have you faced discrimination from Black immigrants as an ADOS individual?

Do you think that there's some legitimacy to this movement or do you feel that this is just another divide and conquer tactic?

Look forward to hearing from you.

1 - I think ADOS "movement" is Russian trolls set on getting black Americans to decrease in our turnout at the 2020 election so that Trump will get re-elected.

2 Reparations I do feel that they are owed but would focus on the 20th century terrorism and oppression faced nationwide by black people in regards to receiving reparations. I also don't believe that reparations should be a check. I feel that black Americans who can prove ancestry to an enslaved individual should receive free medical care via Medicaid for the entirety of their lives and include mental health and dental health. I also feel that black Americans who can prove descent from an American slave should be able to go to public universities for free upon being admitted and qualified. For blacks who were terrorized or whose parents/grandparents or other close relatives were physically or economically lynched - I feel they should be able to make a claim against the state and/or local government of which it occurred and be able to be compensated for their losses. I also feel that black Americans should create specific Reparations non-profit corporations that are staffed/lead by black Americans that would be able to receive specific grants for programs and/or public charter schools aimed at improving the quality of life and educating our children about our historical culture.

3 - Yes, I feel many blacks of the African diaspora are prejudiced and borderline racist against black Americans. However, I know a lot about history and can easily shut them down and make them upset. Plus I can tell them to get out of my country lol. They don't like that. Ironically the most boastful of these sorts of racists were students at my HBCU, which was stupid to me - why come to a black American school if you hate black American people. But I enjoyed debating with them. Those that know me, know I'm not the one though lol. My favorite black people other than black Americans were black Canadians and black Europeans. Most had parents who were from the Carribbean or African nations - IMO people who grow up in a majority white country are less likely to have negative views of black Americans when they immigrate here as they have simiilar histories/life experiences dealing with white supremacy racism. Many of the blacks from African nations and the West Indies, they exude some black inferiority traits but don't recognize them because all the black people they know participate in these ridiculous trends/rituals based on colonialism and white supremacy. Worse one IMO is "white Jesus." My aunt is dating a man who lives in an African nation and he sent her a video of his church service and they had a HUGE picture of White Jesus on the wall. When I saw it I was shocked since this is on "the mother continent" and I'd think they'd grown out of white Jesus at least by now - but the guy said he didn't even notice. The church my family went to was AME here in the US on my mom's side and Baptist on dad's side and we didn't have a White Jesus picture in our churches at all. That is the ultimate symbol of white supremacy IMO - worshiping a white god.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Also, there's nothing to "repair". African-Americans owe their lives to slavery in this country. They would never have been born without it.

The late 19th and 20th century IMO were more damaging to the black demographic than slavery.

Had our freed ancestors been left alone to grow without the intense violence inflicted on them by whites in this nation and the systematic oppression and exclusion of them to all areas that are equalizers in a "civilized" society, then we would be better off today.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I guess my next question is what steps will be taken to verify who’s ADOS and who’s non-ADOS? Are we going to just start asking for every black persons genealogy records? If so, it would reveal that some ADOS really aren’t as ADOS as they thought.

See post above regarding ADOS. I think they are Russian Trolls. And I feel sad that so many black people like to jump on a bandwagon of stupidity.

I actually am a genealogical researcher. Via my research, I have identified and informed MANY of my white cousins about our shared, enslaved black ancestors. I also do not have a typical family history for a black American. If anything comes of a reparations movement, the best thing IMO would be more black people getting involved in researching their families to show themselves that our stories are not the stereotypes that we were raised with.

There has been conversation and a movement for reparations in America for black people really since the end of the Civil War. It has been ongoing and picks up steam every now and then. On this new "movement" though, IMO it is not authentic as it has never been one that is based on driving division inside of the black demographic. The specific focus on driving division IMO leads me to believe it is a Russian Troll sort of movement.

FWIW many of my maternal ancestors were free people of color. Some moved to Liberia and came back. Some moved to Haiti and came back. Some moved to Canada and came back. I recently discovered my first identified African ancestor who was enslaved in NJ in the early 1700s. His descendants were taken to Canada by Loyalists and subsequently enslaved there and were freed, then moved to America where I live today. My dad's family also has a couple lines of "free" ancestry. I have some indigenous American ancestry. I have some white immigrant ancestry from the late 19th century of English and Irish people. One of the granddaughters of the slave taken to Canada, she married a German man and had "mullatto" children by him. So my 5th great grandfather on that line is German.

Black genealogy/family histories are not just slavery. There is a lot of complexity to our history. IMO we are truly American, much moreso than most white Americans in this country today because we have longer ancestry than them in most cases (as most of the are descendants of recent immigrants - like my English and Irish ancestors of the late 19th century).

Old 04-25-2019, 12:24 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
See post above regarding ADOS. I think they are Russian Trolls. And I feel sad that so many black people like to jump on a bandwagon of stupidity.

I actually am a genealogical researcher. Via my research, I have identified and informed MANY of my white cousins about our shared, enslaved black ancestors. I also do not have a typical family history for a black American. If anything comes of a reparations movement, the best thing IMO would be more black people getting involved in researching their families to show themselves that our stories are not the stereotypes that we were raised with.

There has been conversation and a movement for reparations in America for black people really since the end of the Civil War. It has been ongoing and picks up steam every now and then. On this new "movement" though, IMO it is not authentic as it has never been one that is based on driving division inside of the black demographic. The specific focus on driving division IMO leads me to believe it is a Russian Troll sort of movement.

FWIW many of my maternal ancestors were free people of color. Some moved to Liberia and came back. Some moved to Haiti and came back. Some moved to Canada and came back. I recently discovered my first identified African ancestor who was enslaved in NJ in the early 1700s. His descendants were taken to Canada by Loyalists and subsequently enslaved there and were freed, then moved to America where I live today. My dad's family also has a couple lines of "free" ancestry. I have some indigenous American ancestry. I have some white immigrant ancestry from the late 19th century of English and Irish people. One of the granddaughters of the slave taken to Canada, she married a German man and had "mullatto" children by him. So my 5th great grandfather on that line is German.

Black genealogy/family histories are not just slavery. There is a lot of complexity to our history. IMO we are truly American, much moreso than most white Americans in this country today because we have longer ancestry than them in most cases (as most of the are descendants of recent immigrants - like my English and Irish ancestors of the late 19th century).
Is that how we're measuring true Americans now? How many generations they go back?

I'm going to remind you of this down the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies