Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2019, 01:53 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If you want to talk about reparations for DoS, then have at it. I'm against them, but it's a discussion that's popular here.

What I take exception to is bringing up violence against black folks in the '60's to support why reparations are necessary.

And you couldn't be more wrong about the bolded above. You're either very naive, don't live in Chicago, or you're joking.

Any attempt of reparations is going to cost something, whether it' college, medical care, mental health services - it may not be cash, but it will be costly and we'll be taxed for it.

I said the 1940s-1960s not just the 60s. I'd honestly include the entirety of the 20th century, especially from WWI forward due to the institutional oppression black people faced in that era forward.

There was a systematic attack on the black demographic in particular areas if they dared advocate for their rights as afforded by our constitution. Local governments and states passed laws specifically to deny black people their rights. This is common knowledge of American history.

To think that whites getting beat up in Chicago is the same thing is silly. There were 50 dynamite explosions in Birmingham (Bombingham) between the 1940s and 1965. The area that received the most bombings was called Dynamite Hill because the KKK - where many members were local government workers/officials often bombed this neighborhood due to it housing middle class black families who were seen as a threat to white supremacy.

This is not the same thing and to act like it is is just ridiculous. The federal government itself was directly involved in segregating local communities in the north via housing programs that rendered black people in poverty for 3-4 generations in the 20th century. It also rendered black people in subpar schools that were acknowledged to be subpar by SCOTUS decisions in the 1950s. These were systematic injustices that cannot be compared to individuals getting hurt by crimes today where they do have the law to back them up (no matter their background) and they do not have to 100% distrust courts and law enforcement to protect their rights. They also are allowed to live where they want (and man I could share some doozies on Chicago itself with housing/redlining, subpar education, entrenched poverty, law enforcement abuses, court abuses, racial discrimination in the workplace, etc., that occurred from 1940-1990 that could easily rival the impact of a crime victim today, no matter their ethnic origins). Something that in Chicago was not available to black people until the 1970s and 1980s in many instances and black people had no recourse at that time. One of my 80 something year old uncle in laws was involved in housing fights for black peoplein particular in Chicago and he has a great archive in his house regarding his activism that we are looking to donate to an organization there. He is suffering from alzheimers and was heavily involved in various civil rights groups regarding housing and police abuse in particular.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:10 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If you want to talk about reparations for DoS, then have at it. I'm against them, but it's a discussion that's popular here.

What I take exception to is bringing up violence against black folks in the '60's to support why reparations are necessary.

And you couldn't be more wrong about the bolded above. You're either very naive, don't live in Chicago, or you're joking.

Any attempt of reparations is going to cost something, whether it' college, medical care, mental health services - it may not be cash, but it will be costly and we'll be taxed for it.

Not naive, well I don't live in Chicago, and I'm not joking.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:18 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,040,399 times
Marcus Garvey was Jamaican.

Another colleague of Garvey, was Dusé Mohamed Ali who was of Egyptian & Sudanese descent.

And for West Indians, Malcolm X's mother was from Grenada, Stokely Carmichael/Kwame Ture, was a major figure of the CRM and black power movement.

The Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture is named after Arthur Schomburg, who was of Puerto Rican (& West Indian, if memory serves me correct) descent.

Piri Thomas won acclaim for writing about his experiences as a mulato Puerto Rican dealing with racism in pre Civil Rights America.

Before Jesse Jackson made his unsuccessful Presidential bid; Shirley Chisholm, of West Indian descent, became the 1st Presidential candidate of African descent for a major party.

Now its true that recent immigrants and their children might have different points of view & perspectives than someone of fully American slave descent, but people of African descent who were not descendants of American slaves have been at the forefront of ensuring all Americans have a shot at Life, Liberty & the Pursuit of Happiness!!

The fact of the matter is, Americans of recent African, Caribbean and Latin American origin played major roles both before, during and after the Civil Rights Movement.

Marcus Garvey, Stokely Carmichael (aka Kwame Ture), Shirley Chisholm, Arturo Schomburg, Piri Thomas, Malik El Shabazz and many others who I could mention but I think I made my point.

These people and the immigrant groups they came from were not born with silver spoons in their mouth. The places they immigrated from were not the Garden of Eden either.

Neither were they necessarily greeted with understanding from white OR black Americans once they got here.

And yes, that's a fact.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:46 AM

3,851 posts, read 2,223,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Most of these other ethnic groups have their own organizations for business grants, scholarships, etc. I’d be willing to bet the percentage of those reaping the benefit of things such as UNCF is relatively low.
Those organizations are all federally funded. They are actually competing to get the funding meant for minorities.

People don't realize that census figures are used to allocate funds to minorities for these types of programs, and the "hispanic" group has been fighting to get most of this money for decades. In the 70s, they complained that "all the federal money is going to the blacks!", and fought to become recognized as a minority group for the express purpose of getting this money. That's why they invented "hispanic" - so they could get their hands on funding and benefits that were meant for black people.

That's our reparations money that's going to Spanish people and other foreigners who were never historically excluded in the United States, didn't fight the civil rights movement, and have no business getting any of that.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:12 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,443,647 times
The ADOS movement is simply about demanding reparations from our country. It distinguishes us from every one else in this country, and establishes the need for a black agenda. We're at the bottom of this nation, and it is this nation's responsibility to repair the damage that has been done. Without reparations, black Americans will go extinct as a class. You'll still have your Lebron James' of the world, your Beyonce's. The rest of us regular folk, will perish into poverty and prison.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:15 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Those organizations are all federally funded. They are actually competing to get the funding meant for minorities.

People don't realize that census figures are used to allocate funds to minorities for these types of programs, and the "hispanic" group has been fighting to get most of this money for decades. In the 70s, they complained that "all the federal money is going to the blacks!", and fought to become recognized as a minority group for the express purpose of getting this money. That's why they invented "hispanic" - so they could get their hands on funding and benefits that were meant for black people.

That's our reparations money that's going to Spanish people and other foreigners who were never historically excluded in the United States, didn't fight the civil rights movement, and have no business getting any of that.

You've repeated this mess before in regards to your disdain for Latinos/Hispanics....

Federal grants are not specific to race or minority status. Federal funding cannot be used based on race at all and they are not. I've worked administering grants before and applying for grants before. None of them are specific to race or minority status. They are usually focused on research, housing/neighborhood stabilization, or on improving some sort of "outcome" be it health, educational, or some other socio-economic category.

And the census is used primarily to allot the number of representatives that will represent districts/localities/states in Congress.

There are no current "reparations" programs for black people and the census has no bearing on allocating funds to "minorities." HUD and educational funding are the only programs that are dependent on census figures and they are based on the number of people living in an area and their income status, not their race/ethnity (i.e. minority status). There are specific HUD programs that help 98% white people in this country via the USDA rural funding initiatives. Rural school districts also get federal funding related to poverty levels, etc.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:21 PM

I kind of like the idea of a non profit organization built with donations from other black peoples that could provide what the government would provide such as housing assistance without the strings attached.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
The ADOS movement is simply about demanding reparations from our country. It distinguishes us from every one else in this country, and establishes the need for a black agenda. We're at the bottom of this nation, and it is this nation's responsibility to repair the damage that has been done. Without reparations, black Americans will go extinct as a class. You'll still have your Lebron James' of the world, your Beyonce's. The rest of us regular folk, will perish into poverty and prison.
I can say that I am ADOS, by I don’t believe in aligning myself with any “movement”, because I find that they are mostly talk with virtually no action.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:55 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,443,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I can say that I am ADOS, by I don’t believe in aligning myself with any “movement”, because I find that they are mostly talk with virtually no action.
We have been writing articles, interviewing economists, and have a conference coming up in October. We have Marianne Williamson coming to that conference, and trying to get Cornel West. Of course other than Marianne, all the 2020 candidates are also welcome to come and make their case to black America in why we should vote for them. We're doing real work, along with our advocacy on social media. We are taking that data and breaking down a picture of black life here in America. Laying out the case for reparations. No other organization or movement has done this to the degree we're doing it.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:42 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
We have been writing articles, interviewing economists, and have a conference coming up in October. We have Marianne Williamson coming to that conference, and trying to get Cornel West. Of course other than Marianne, all the 2020 candidates are also welcome to come and make their case to black America in why we should vote for them. We're doing real work, along with our advocacy on social media. We are taking that data and breaking down a picture of black life here in America. Laying out the case for reparations. No other organization or movement has done this to the degree we're doing it.
Every bum seeks a handout.

If blacks worked as hard at education and maintaining family units as they are at sticking up the Federal government for a huge handout, there would be no problem.

I find the "reparations" movement to be a comfortable refuge for vacating personal responsibility and at the same time seeking a financial bonanza for lack of accomplishment. It is like finishing sixth in a race and demanding the first place trophy, as the fast guys "kept you down".

Reparations is an encapsulation of the notion of democrat victimhood and vilification of white men. Every loser seeks an excuse; motivated, confident individuals need no excuses. Tiger Woods did not "demand" a new Masters golf trophy for finishing third last year due to "racism". He won the tournament (again) due to excellence and determination from a guy with a bad back and a bum knee. Too bad others can't learn from his example. And................. keep in mind he was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies