Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 09:39 AM

2,923 posts, read 978,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Why Liberia?
Thats what Honest Abe set aside for slaves to be sent back to. I guess it could be any African nation.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:40 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
Interesting.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:53 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,933 times
Quote:
American Descendants of Slaves
I see. A movement in intersectional victimhood and in fighting among the "victims", with multiple hands out.

I actually dont have a problem with that, and those scrambling to get "paid".

I am more interested in whom is expected to do the paying.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:58 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
The ADOS movement is something isn't it? It started to distinguish black descendants of slaves from foreign black people. I get it. There's some truth to the movement, such as foreign blacks wanting to jump on the struggle that ADOS endured and only wanting to unite when it's convenient for them (some nationalities more than others). That said, my critique of this movement comes is the same for most other "pro-black" movements. The minute you disagree with them about anything (it could be something as minor as the color of the sky), you are a "sell out." Like most movements of this sort, they get hijacked.

Where do you stand on this movement?

How do you feel about reparations?

Have you faced discrimination from Black immigrants as an ADOS individual?

Do you think that there's some legitimacy to this movement or do you feel that this is just another divide and conquer tactic?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Long before this ADOS movement came about, I advocated that so called "black" people not define our struggle legally, on the bases of race because laws that were created to stop the oppression of a race were being used to help prevent the recovery of a race from oppression. Ergo, there are laws against discriminating against black people....but those same laws now get invoked when trying to repair the damage to black people that resulted from past oppression. In other words, its legally reverse racial discrimination when you target blacks for something positive just as it is illegal to target blacks negatively, based upon their race. The quagmire is, however, that you cannot turn an inequality into an equality without discrimination in favor of one side.

In light of that, I proposed that the struggle should be defined not by race, but by those who are descendant from the ACT. Hence, DOS. I did not put American in front of it like ADOS, but I think there acronym is more apropos as it narrows down the place of the enslavement. Hence, if one argues that there should be a certain number of ADOS allowed into jobs or universities....that is not discrimination based upon race as is affirmative action policies that are based upon race. The only thing that makes the group racial is the choice of America to target that race for slavery.

Thus, I agree with the movement in terms of how it is defining it......I might not agree with how they conduct themselves or even agree with the expectation that reparations will ever happen. I don't believe that it will....but that is separate from believing that it is owed.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:44 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
It’s not about the “People” that the argument for reputations is made against, its tot he federal goverment. I do believe that if a case was brought against the Fedral goverment for turning a blind eye to Jim Crow laws that the plaintiff would win and the payout would be huge.

Again we are talking about Federally Sanctioned acts that directly targeted a subsection of the American population via race alone with ramifications to that very community today.
You can imagine how large of a number we are talking here, literally 1865-1960’s.

Surely someone who claims to hate goverment tyranny would understand a argument that directly points to federal policy that allowed discrimination on race alone.
You'd have to get in line behind Native Americans and then women.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:59 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You'd have to get in line behind Native Americans and then women.

Not if they are not queued up.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:45 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
The ADOS movement is something isn't it? It started to distinguish black descendants of slaves from foreign black people. I get it. There's some truth to the movement, such as foreign blacks wanting to jump on the struggle that ADOS endured and only wanting to unite when it's convenient for them (some nationalities more than others). That said, my critique of this movement comes is the same for most other "pro-black" movements. The minute you disagree with them about anything (it could be something as minor as the color of the sky), you are a "sell out." Like most movements of this sort, they get hijacked.

Do you think that there's some legitimacy to this movement or do you feel that this is just another divide and conquer tactic?

Here is my take on this #Ados movement. The ADOS movement comes from a position of weakness. Why weakness? It seems that the ADOS are begging for the white liberals to hand over what is owe. Yes I do agree with reparations, but to force others to pay for things that they have not committed is just wrong. I love black Americans, I love their history, food, cultural contributions and together is part of the American fabric and what makes us a great nation. But for the ADOS movement to attack black immigrants like Afro Latinos, Caribbeans and Africans is just wrong. The ADOS community should put blame on the US Government which allowed Caribbean, African and Afro Latinos to exploit and take advantage of government programs and handouts which are only designed for black Americans and lesser extent poor whites.

Where do I stand on the #Ados movement. I do support some sort of reparations to be given to black Americans, but I don't support the ADOS movement.

How do I feel about reparations? I don't think the reparations should be monetary? Why? Giving money for reparations would balloon the federal deficit. Also who gets reparations? 1/4 white Americans have a black slave ancestor in America. Should white Americans receive reparations for having black slave descendents. Should wealthy blacks receive money for reparations even though they have wealth and money. Also who pays? Whites own slaves, blacks owned slaves, native American owned slaves, African sold slaves to the British. These are questions that the #ADOS community must ask.

ADOS movement is a divide and conquer tactic. I have seen stupid stuff on social media where black -Americans befriended Caribbean's, afro Latinos and Africans for not being black Americans. Their was a time when black Caribbean's, Afro Latinos, Black Americans and Africans came together for black causes. Now with ADOS, black Americans hope that Trump deport black immigrants back to where they came from. Plenty of ADOS types sound just like Donald Trump supporters. Also ADOS supporters tend to be racist and xenophobic themselves. The reason why ADOS can be racist and xenophobic is that their racist white liberal allies allow pro blacks to speak their voice and use hate speech, while other groups such as Alt-Right and white nationalist are not allowed to used hate speech or face repercussions.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:30 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Here is my take on this #Ados movement. The ADOS movement comes from a position of weakness. Why weakness? It seems that the ADOS are begging for the white liberals to hand over what is owe. Yes I do agree with reparations, but to force others to pay for things that they have not committed is just wrong. I love black Americans, I love their history, food, cultural contributions and together is part of the American fabric and what makes us a great nation. But for the ADOS movement to attack black immigrants like Afro Latinos, Caribbeans and Africans is just wrong. The ADOS community should put blame on the US Government which allowed Caribbean, African and Afro Latinos to exploit and take advantage of government programs and handouts which are only designed for black Americans and lesser extent poor whites.

Where do I stand on the #Ados movement. I do support some sort of reparations to be given to black Americans, but I don't support the ADOS movement.

How do I feel about reparations? I don't think the reparations should be monetary? Why? Giving money for reparations would balloon the federal deficit. Also who gets reparations? 1/4 white Americans have a black slave ancestor in America. Should white Americans receive reparations for having black slave descendents. Should wealthy blacks receive money for reparations even though they have wealth and money. Also who pays? Whites own slaves, blacks owned slaves, native American owned slaves, African sold slaves to the British. These are questions that the #ADOS community must ask.

ADOS movement is a divide and conquer tactic. I have seen stupid stuff on social media where black -Americans befriended Caribbean's, afro Latinos and Africans for not being black Americans. Their was a time when black Caribbean's, Afro Latinos, Black Americans and Africans came together for black causes. Now with ADOS, black Americans hope that Trump deport black immigrants back to where they came from. Plenty of ADOS types sound just like Donald Trump supporters. Also ADOS supporters tend to be racist and xenophobic themselves. The reason why ADOS can be racist and xenophobic is that their racist white liberal allies allow pro blacks to speak their voice and use hate speech, while other groups such as Alt-Right and white nationalist are not allowed to used hate speech or face repercussions.
Great response, all the way around.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:55 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:

"How do you feel about reparations?"

Maybe they should pay US for taking them away from where they came from and the horrible conditions they lived in and giving them the opportunity to live in the greatest country in the world.

They are FREE to go back anytime they wish.

Remember the VAST amorality of colored's who came here were indentured servants who VOLUNTEERED to come here to get away from their "great" countries!

Old 04-24-2019, 02:10 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,227,486 times
Quote:
I support the concept of ADOS as an identity because I do feel that we are ethnically distinct from black foreigners, but I don't think the label should be used for the purpose of getting more entitlements or reparations.

Quote:
Horrible idea. That would actually do more harm than good. Giving out money will never help anyone out. Most people would just run out and spend their reparations money on luxuries.

There are already a tremendous amount of benefits, opportunities, federal funding, and legal protections for minorities that black people aren't taking advantage of. That was reparations.

Quote:
Discrimination? No. But black immigrants are often openly prejudiced of American black people.

Quote:
There needs to be a term to distinguish us because we are different from black foreigners in an ethnic sense, but It doesn't have to be divisive or cause for antagonism. Every other black ethnic group has their own identity and identifies with their country, why shouldn't we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies