Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 11:20 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
You must be 100 years old.

112, but who's counting?

Old 04-26-2019, 11:22 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remsleep View Post
You also grew up in an era where men dressed in suits and ties were using whites only drinking fountains, eating at whites only restaurants and maybe even participating in public lynchings. The women that were wearing dresses and skirts may have been subject to physical abuse, spousal rape, were unable to get their own credit cards, were only allowed to work certain jobs and had to ask men for permission to do just about anything. The respect you refer to was completely phony. It was all about keeping up appearances, style over substance.
No, we had none of that where I grew up. NONE. And the respect was real. People were more polite, you helped your neighbors, and there was less callousness, and nastiness in general. We've devolved as humans in many ways.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:50 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
No, we had none of that where I grew up. NONE. And the respect was real. People were more polite, you helped your neighbors, and there was less callousness, and nastiness in general. We've devolved as humans in many ways.
In my neck of the woods that stuff is just starting to creep in now. The slow sad death of a beautiful thing. It is happening to a lot of us in smaller towns and suburbs. The grandparents would roll in their graves to see what is happening to their farmland, their tight communities, the sturdy houses they built being neglected or demolished and the negligent nasty politicians letting it all happen.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:51 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
These threads really show who is old. /lol
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-26-2019, 11:59 AM

6,232 posts, read 3,611,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
These threads really show who is old. /lol
Or who has taste.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:00 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think that this is a direct result of the "be yourself" and "anything goes" movement of the 60's. Once people felt free to not conform to very neat grooming, clothing, and body (meaning not overweight) standards, they became more and more casual in their appearance; and in my personal opinion, I think this is something of a mixed blessing. I love it that I am a senior female and feel perfectly accepted in my everyday outfit of jeans and a tee shirt (something that was almost never seen in elderly women 60 years ago, unless they were something like a farmer), but I do agree that this relaxed attitude to one's appearance has resulted in people being more unhealthy, generally speaking.

Also, as a traditionalist, I do dislike the fact that there is more of a blending of male and female attire, and I miss the days where almost everyone dressed up for special holidays and events, but, OTOH, I think that my being able to dress comfortably is worth it.

Again, I definitely have very mixed feelings about this subject.
I don't think it has anything to do with fashion, clothing, or being neatly groomed. It really boils down to people being in good shape. If you are in good shape you really can dress in anything and it will look good.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:06 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Or who has taste.
I
Taste is subjective. I do not consider the pic of the 1950s women attractive. I certainly cannot see their faces enough to tell.

The good thing about fashion now? You CAN run around in a twin set and pearls if you want, or you CAN wear yoga pants if you want, and everything else you can think of.

I could care less if someone has a sleeve or tats or piercings. I like that people express themselves in different ways.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-26-2019, 12:09 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think that this is a direct result of the "be yourself" and "anything goes" movement of the 60's. Once people felt free to not conform to very neat grooming, clothing, and body (meaning not overweight) standards, they became more and more casual in their appearance; and in my personal opinion, I think this is something of a mixed blessing.

Again, I definitely have very mixed feelings about this subject.
The fact that Obesity is much more prevalent in the areas where the "different drummer" was frowned upon would seem to be a counter to your theory.

Remember, the "hippies" of which I consider myself one, "invented" the modern health food movement - and also Baby Boomers were pretty strong with the "Jane Fonda workout" and health club and racquetball sort of deal.

The "live and let live" part, IMHO, is only that others may not beat on and harass those who don't conform as much......

If you really look into it, I think you will note that these things HAVE changed.....People eat vastly more prepared foods - whether fast food or completely processed, this is the case. Even in 1960, the concept of TV dinners and frozen foods were new. By the 1970's the landscapes of the USA were basically a bunch of chain fast food restaurants serving unhealthy foods.

As I said before, high calorie food with poor nutritional value are the cheapest.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:09 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
This is a weird post. Those women are caricatures.

People are supposed to have their own natural and unique features.
It's what's considered beautiful by most people I know.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:31 PM

19,813 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The fact that Obesity is much more prevalent in the areas where the "different drummer" was frowned upon would seem to be a counter to your theory.

Remember, the "hippies" of which I consider myself one, "invented" the modern health food movement - and also Baby Boomers were pretty strong with the "Jane Fonda workout" and health club and racquetball sort of deal.

The "live and let live" part, IMHO, is only that others may not beat on and harass those who don't conform as much......

If you really look into it, you will note that these things HAVE changed.....People eat vastly more prepared foods - whether fast food or completely processed, this is the case. Even in 1960, the concept of TV dinners and frozen foods were new. By the 1970's the landscapes of the USA were basically a bunch of chain fast food restaurants serving unhealthy foods.

As I said before, high calorie food with poor nutritional value are the cheapest.
Well, I think that most people judge by what they observe. I do agree with you about the health food movement, but it is true that more middle-class-and-up people are into health food than those at the lower end of the socioeconomic scale. And as has been noted, years ago, most poor people did not go to college (and most still don't, I believe).

And that is what is difficult to remember when discussing then vs. now. One's environment and one's personal experiences still do play a part in one's outlook and opinions, I think.

P.S. Btw, I agree with you absolutely in your opinions about a major reason why so many Americans are fat. (Cheap, processed and/or high calorie foods.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies