Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 09:29 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,111,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You say "country has declined" but you fail to state your views on stuff like:

1. Corporate control of foods - you do know that fast foods hardly existed back then? Should government regulate size and calorie count, nutrition, etc. of marketed foods?

2. Corporate and lobbying power to the Government itself - you do know that the cattle industry and dairy industry changed the "healthy food" recommendations many times over the years...now you are blaming citizens for taking the advice given to them by (paid-off) public health officials.

3. No limits - food is essentially a drug...fats, sugars, etc - per calorie, the worst calories are the cheapest. Do you support size limits on Big Gulps, 64oz sodas (more than a days calories in one), etc.????

Those same people in the photos would be fatties today if they lived in the same corporate controlled environment most of us live in.

The ONLY real difference is what they eat.
Along with this, produce has gone downhill too. Most kinds you see in the store are chosen based on qualitied like how they ship and store. Taste is an afterthought. Doesn't help inspire people to eat them.

High fructose corn syrup is shoved into so many products. Not just obvious things like sweets and sodas...so many things. Hard to avoid, especially on a budget. I enjoyed the soda over in Italy and the desserts weren't as sweet. America in general has a massive sweet tooth.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:53 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Americans in general look absolutely gross compared to back then. Not saying I am the best looking person but collectively it's strange how far America has fallen since back then.

So many average looking people back then would be better looking than today's super models. Lack of words for how good looking Americans used to be.

Will be interesting if trends continue by 2030 what America will look like then. Obesity and ailments associated with it are likely to cause healthcare infrastructure to collapse in a decade.

1950-1960 – The College Voice

Class of 1950 at Commencement, Scripps College :: Claremont Colleges Photo Archive

I have to say I was in a book place looking at books that showcased pictures of large gathering events from generations ago and I almost couldn't believe how I saw maybe two people considered obese by today's standards from browsing multiple books.

I also notice in historical photos how feminine women looked back then and how masculine men looked.

I must have looked at 20-30 books of different cities in the early 20th century that had pictures of gatherings and out of 1,000 or so people that I have must have seen, only a few were obese.

Even in the last 20 years people look much different now. People look very, very rough and tattered these days in general.

Run of the mill people a century ago in their 20s and 30s were better looking than today's celebrities. I almost gasped how much the country has declined.

200 pounds back then was like 350-400 pounds today. It's very sad honestly.

I can only imagine how people who visit from countries like Japan must think when they come here.

There have been times as a 5 foot 11 inch and 170 pound guy that I feel like a some of a freak these days as sometimes I will be one of only a few non-obese people in a large gathering.
Obesity is more prevalent in less educated, poor areas. You live in Texas. You'd not be out of place in my area where most people are fit and slim. You rarely see huge, morbidly obese people. They would stick out. Move to the coast or places like Colorado.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:07 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
A good source of old videos where you can see old footage of people is here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/bebopsam1975/videos

Here's an amusement park in NJ in 1932. Are the people more attractive than nowadays?

Meh, not really IMO. Though they certainly dressed nicer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Occ-ACZThM
They certainly did dress nicer than people today!!

Ive looked at old pictures from that time, and even during the hot summer months, men would wear suits, ties, and coats if they were going somewhere in public, (in their free time, off work), nowadays, people will just wear shorts, tshirts, flip flops, etc, there is no concern for how they are dressed, its ALL about comfort level.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:10 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Obesity is more prevalent in less educated, poor areas. You live in Texas. You'd not be out of place in my area where most people are fit and slim. You rarely see huge, morbidly obese people. They would stick out. Move to the coast or places like Colorado.

I noticed that when I was in Denver. Very few obese people up there. Here in OKC, it's probably almost half.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:19 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Americans in general look absolutely gross compared to back then. Not saying I am the best looking person but collectively it's strange how far America has fallen since back then.

So many average looking people back then would be better looking than today's super models. Lack of words for how good looking Americans used to be.

Will be interesting if trends continue by 2030 what America will look like then. Obesity and ailments associated with it are likely to cause healthcare infrastructure to collapse in a decade.

1950-1960 – The College Voice

Class of 1950 at Commencement, Scripps College :: Claremont Colleges Photo Archive

I have to say I was in a book place looking at books that showcased pictures of large gathering events from generations ago and I almost couldn't believe how I saw maybe two people considered obese by today's standards from browsing multiple books.

I also notice in historical photos how feminine women looked back then and how masculine men looked.

I must have looked at 20-30 books of different cities in the early 20th century that had pictures of gatherings and out of 1,000 or so people that I have must have seen, only a few were obese.

Even in the last 20 years people look much different now. People look very, very rough and tattered these days in general.

Run of the mill people a century ago in their 20s and 30s were better looking than today's celebrities. I almost gasped how much the country has declined.

200 pounds back then was like 350-400 pounds today. It's very sad honestly.

I can only imagine how people who visit from countries like Japan must think when they come here.

There have been times as a 5 foot 11 inch and 170 pound guy that I feel like a some of a freak these days as sometimes I will be one of only a few non-obese people in a large gathering.
Oh, dear - I don't see anyone who is ugly in the pictures from Scripps College in 2016 at all.

Scripps College Commencement

Nothing scruffy about these either and no obesity. (2012 - 2016)

https://dorfman.cems.umn.edu/group-photos

You are cherry picking pictures of gatherings as opposed to people wearing everyday clothing and going about their daily business. Also, you are cherry picking people who are in their 20s and I think that those people are just as good looking today as they ever were.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:22 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
What stands out loud and clear is how slim people were back then compared to the overweight people we see everywhere today.

I'm currently watching the history of Jazz and it's amazing how thin everyone was back in those days compared to today.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:32 PM

39,200 posts, read 27,575,665 times
I don't think they necessarily looked better, I think the average people were slimmer.

The average woman in the United States today weighs about 168 pounds, or roughly the same as an average man in 1960.

https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article...getting-fatter

Old 04-25-2019, 10:45 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I am from Colorado and have been to California many, many times.

I would say the healthiest looking people based on just being in different neighborhoods were Flagstaff, Boulder, Eastside of Salt Lake City, Provo, Tempe and Gilbert, Arizona.

https://www.stateofobesity.org/states/co/

Colorado has an obesity rate of 22% which is the lowest in the country. But that it mainly because of the Interstate 70 corridor plus Boulder and Fort Collins.

You have those three areas which combined have around a million or so which have such low rates of obesity and other ailments that they really make the numbers look good. Colorado has massive health disparities with-in the state from county to county.

The obesity rate in Colorado for 45 to 64 is 27%.

If it weren't for a high percentage of very physically active seniors, Boulder, Fort Collins and the higher-elevation mountain communities then Colorado would look totally different statistically.

Colorado has alot of very healthy small communities but it comprises less than a quarter of the state's population. But, I would say places like Summit, Eagle, Boulder counties are some of the healthiest counties in America but much of the state is not like that at all.

Parts of inner-city Denver have had alot of fitness oriented people move in it seems which is good, but much of metro Denver that isn't touristy, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Greeley really isn't impressive overall when it comes to things like eating healthy and working out.

I have been in the Bay Area and I will say in general people the obesity rate seems far lower than other places even in California.

Los Angeles has many areas that have extremely high obesity rates, the Westside and beach cities are the exception to the rule. They have micro-areas that people are into healthy behaviors but in much of LA based on observations is a very unhealthy place.

In general though I do agree that the Bay Area has a very high percentage of fit people compared to other parts of California and the nation.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:19 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
I think beauty standards are higher nowadays.

https://data.whicdn.com/images/313006294/large.png

http://s10.favim.com/orig/160910/blo...m-4720460.jpeg

https://cdn1.lockerdome.com/uploads/...799fad39_large

The girls in the OP had a 1000 different noses and thin lips.

Old 04-26-2019, 03:27 AM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I think beauty standards are higher nowadays.

https://data.whicdn.com/images/313006294/large.png

http://s10.favim.com/orig/160910/blo...m-4720460.jpeg

https://cdn1.lockerdome.com/uploads/...799fad39_large

The girls in the OP had a 1000 different noses and thin lips.
Yuck, if I were single today and had to date women that looked like these, I would pass.

I worked many years abroad and got tired of the generalization that all Americans are fat and did something about it....we all should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies