Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 05:11 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,129,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Drawing attention to one's self is the opposite of what my generation sought- keep your head low and blend in.

The extra weight is certainly a concern. However, if one sits and plays computer games for recreation, it is no wonder. When hiking out in the mountains, we rarely see younger people, unless they are from Europe or New Zealand.

The social media bit is a huge factor. You will see people at ball games or out to dinner and they have their noses in their phones, rather than interacting with the people around them.
I think you have a bad case of the “darn kidz these dayz” my friend..

Old 04-25-2019, 06:35 PM

30,538 posts, read 19,288,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It’s a matter of taking personal responsibility, or not.
Yes and finding the right diet plan that you can follow....Plant Paradox works for me.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:49 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,602,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Americans in general look absolutely gross compared to back then. Not saying I am the best looking person but collectively it's strange how far America has fallen since back then.

So many average looking people back then would be better looking than today's super models. Lack of words for how good looking Americans used to be.

Will be interesting if trends continue by 2030 what America will look like then. Obesity and ailments associated with it are likely to cause healthcare infrastructure to collapse in a decade.

1950-1960 – The College Voice

Class of 1950 at Commencement, Scripps College :: Claremont Colleges Photo Archive

I have to say I was in a book place looking at books that showcased pictures of large gathering events from generations ago and I almost couldn't believe how I saw maybe two people considered obese by today's standards from browsing multiple books.

I also notice in historical photos how feminine women looked back then and how masculine men looked.

I must have looked at 20-30 books of different cities in the early 20th century that had pictures of gatherings and out of 1,000 or so people that I have must have seen, only a few were obese.

Even in the last 20 years people look much different now. People look very, very rough and tattered these days in general.

Run of the mill people a century ago in their 20s and 30s were better looking than today's celebrities. I almost gasped how much the country has declined.

200 pounds back then was like 350-400 pounds today. It's very sad honestly.

I can only imagine how people who visit from countries like Japan must think when they come here.

There have been times as a 5 foot 11 inch and 170 pound guy that I feel like a some of a freak these days as sometimes I will be one of only a few non-obese people in a large gathering.
I graduated from high school in the 70s, and one girl in my class went to Scripps (one third of my graduating class was in the next Freshman class at UC Berkeley).

The girl who went to Scripps was quite possibly the most unattractive girl in my class ....and she was obese.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:30 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,705,805 times
Quote:
Americans in general look absolutely gross compared to back then. Not saying I am the best looking person but collectively it's strange how far America has fallen since back then.

I can only imagine how people who visit from countries like Japan must think when they come here.

There have been times as a 5 foot 11 inch and 170 pound guy that I feel like a some of a freak these days as sometimes I will be one of only a few non-obese people in a large gathering.
You say "country has declined" but you fail to state your views on stuff like:

1. Corporate control of foods - you do know that fast foods hardly existed back then? Should government regulate size and calorie count, nutrition, etc. of marketed foods?

2. Corporate and lobbying power to the Government itself - you do know that the cattle industry and dairy industry changed the "healthy food" recommendations many times over the years...now you are blaming citizens for taking the advice given to them by (paid-off) public health officials.

3. No limits - food is essentially a drug...fats, sugars, etc - per calorie, the worst calories are the cheapest. Do you support size limits on Big Gulps, 64oz sodas (more than a days calories in one), etc.????

Those same people in the photos would be fatties today if they lived in the same corporate controlled environment most of us live in.

The ONLY real difference is what they eat.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:55 PM

9,476 posts, read 10,830,414 times
You could look up pictures of young adults up till about 1990 or so and see the difference. People of today are not of the same quality, they are fatter, more lazy and sloppy. They also speak in a less educated way. I am afraid this all suggests that Idocracy is more than just a movie......It is prophecy.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:03 PM

20,884 posts, read 9,589,480 times
Quote:

So many average looking people back then would be better looking than today's super models. Lack of words for how good looking Americans used to be.

Will be interesting if trends continue by 2030 what America will look like then. Obesity and ailments associated with it are likely to cause healthcare infrastructure to collapse in a decade.

Class of 1950 at Commencement, Scripps College :: Claremont Colleges Photo Archive...
First of all, you're looking at photos of college classes from back in the days when most of the people who went to college were from the upper and middle-upper classes. It has been proven that
wealthy people tend to be more attractive. So basically you're looking at photos of people who were mostly from the upper crust of society, and thus, were more likely to be attractive.

Second, that said, if I look at some of those faces close up, and try to take into account the differing hairstyles and clothing (and tendency to be thinner), they don't really look all that different from people today.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:07 PM

A good source of old videos where you can see old footage of people is here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/bebopsam1975/videos

Here's an amusement park in NJ in 1932. Are the people more attractive than nowadays?

Meh, not really IMO. Though they certainly dressed nicer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Occ-ACZThM

Old 04-25-2019, 09:16 PM

BTW if you're complaining about obesity levels, you should be arguing in favor of eliminating plastics from society as much as possible, in favor of strict limits on things that can be fed to school children, and other liberal-style measures. Because those are the things that contribute to the obesity epidemic.

And I should add, California is a lot thinner than North Dakota.
Quote:

Class of 1950 at Commencement, Scripps College :: Claremont Colleges Photo Archive

I have to say I was in a book place looking at books that showcased pictures of large gathering events from generations ago and I almost couldn't believe how I saw maybe two people considered obese by today's standards from browsing multiple books.

I also notice in historical photos how feminine women looked back then and how masculine men looked.

I must have looked at 20-30 books of different cities in the early 20th century that had pictures of gatherings and out of 1,000 or so people that I have must have seen, only a few were obese.

Even in the last 20 years people look much different now. People look very, very rough and tattered these days in general.

Run of the mill people a century ago in their 20s and 30s were better looking than today's celebrities. I almost gasped how much the country has declined.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:19 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,129,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
First of all, you're looking at photos of college classes from back in the days when most of the people who went to college were from the upper and middle-upper classes. It has been proven that
wealthy people tend to be more attractive. So basically you're looking at photos of people who were mostly from the upper crust of society, and thus, were more likely to be attractive.

Second, that said, if I look at some of those faces close up, and try to take into account the differing hairstyles and clothing (and tendency to be thinner), they don't really look all that different from people today.
OP makes it seems that everyone today looks like Igore..

Old 04-25-2019, 09:22 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,800,095 times
You were in a "book place?" Just... a place with books? Or a library, a book store, or what?
How do you "almost gasp?" It sounds almost painful and most certainly awkward.
Two hundred pounds back then was like 350-400 pounds today? I *think* I know what you're trying to say, but you've said it really strangely.

You know what has also really declined? Communication skills. I'm pointing my ugly finger at you, OP. Just kidding. My finger is absolutely freaking gorgeous. It's like looking at the finger of a woman from the 1950s, I tell you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies