Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 01:24 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,867,540 times

Advertisements

Americans in general look absolutely gross compared to back then. Not saying I am the best looking person but collectively it's strange how far America has fallen since back then.

So many average looking people back then would be better looking than today's super models. Lack of words for how good looking Americans used to be.

Will be interesting if trends continue by 2030 what America will look like then. Obesity and ailments associated with it are likely to cause healthcare infrastructure to collapse in a decade.

1950-1960 – The College Voice

Class of 1950 at Commencement, Scripps College :: Claremont Colleges Photo Archive

I have to say I was in a book place looking at books that showcased pictures of large gathering events from generations ago and I almost couldn't believe how I saw maybe two people considered obese by today's standards from browsing multiple books.

I also notice in historical photos how feminine women looked back then and how masculine men looked.

I must have looked at 20-30 books of different cities in the early 20th century that had pictures of gatherings and out of 1,000 or so people that I have must have seen, only a few were obese.

Even in the last 20 years people look much different now. People look very, very rough and tattered these days in general.

Run of the mill people a century ago in their 20s and 30s were better looking than today's celebrities. I almost gasped how much the country has declined.

200 pounds back then was like 350-400 pounds today. It's very sad honestly.

I can only imagine how people who visit from countries like Japan must think when they come here.

There have been times as a 5 foot 11 inch and 170 pound guy that I feel like a some of a freak these days as sometimes I will be one of only a few non-obese people in a large gathering.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:30 PM

30,072 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Americans in general look absolutely gross compared to back then. Not saying I am the best looking person but collectively it's strange how far America has fallen since back then.

Will be interesting if trends continue by 2030 what America will look like then. Obesity and ailments associated with it are likely to cause healthcare infrastructure to collapse in a decade.

Class of 1950 at Commencement, Scripps College :: Claremont Colleges Photo Archive

I have to say I was in a book place looking at books that showcased pictures of large gathering events from generations ago and I almost couldn't believe how I saw maybe two people considered obese by today's standards from browsing multiple books.

I also notice in historical photos how feminine women looked back then and how masculine men looked.

I must have looked at 20-30 books of different cities in the early 20th century that had pictures of gatherings and out of 1,000 or so people that I have must have seen, only a few were obese.

Even in the last 20 years people look much different now. People look very, very rough and tattered these days in general.

Run of the mill people a century ago in their 20s and 30s were better looking than today's celebrities. I almost gasped how much the country has declined.

200 pounds back then was like 350-400 pounds today. It's very sad honestly.

I can only imagine how people who visit from countries like Japan must think when they come here.

There have been times as a 5 foot 11 inch and 170 pound guy that I feel like a some of a freak these days as sometimes I will be one of only a few non-obese people in a large gathering.

You need a Mohawk, purple hair, a few facial piercings, carry 100 lbs extra, and be covered in tattoos to be "normal".

How can people dress properly when they are not even sure what gender they are?

Old 04-25-2019, 01:44 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
I don't think these are all that great looking. I know a lot of younger people who dress very classy and beautiful/handsome. Depends on your crowd I guess.

Also most of the pics were at special occassions. I doubt most people today at special occassions would be dressed poorly.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:17 PM

31,085 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I don't think these are all that great looking. I know a lot of younger people who dress very classy and beautiful/handsome. Depends on your crowd I guess.

Also most of the pics were at special occassions. I doubt most people today at special occassions would be dressed poorly.
In general, we have a huge number of Obese people today, that we didn't have at that time.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:23 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,567,820 times
Quote:

The decline is certainly sad, but look at the "heroes" of today's pop culture who the youth try to emulate. Not a surprise when you see who young people look up to in today's world. Add in all the garbage that is pumped out on TV and in Hollywood too.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:28 PM

4,661 posts, read 1,955,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
The decline is certainly sad, but look at the "heroes" of today's pop culture who the youth try to emulate. Not a surprise when you see who young people look up to in today's world. Add in all the garbage that is pumped out on TV and in Hollywood too.
My Grandmother used to say the same thing about Elvis....

Old 04-25-2019, 03:51 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,804,486 times
Default Need to start from a wider base

Quote:

So many average looking people back then would be better looking than today's super models. Lack of words for how good looking Americans used to be.

Yah. Who went to college in the 1950s-1960s? There was a lot of self-selecting there, the same reason that that Chicago paper called the presidential election (incorrectly) for Dewey (over Truman): They relied on telephone surveys, as I recall - & the people who mostly voted for Truman didn't tend to have a private line, if any.

If you want to make a point about the general population, you should probably pick a wider sampling - say high school graduation pictures across the country, or Army intake pictures (again, across the country). The college crowd in the 1950s - 1960s is probably just too narrow a slice of the population to make very good generalizations about the population as a whole.

You would still get some filtering - in WWI, the US Army found a lot of potential recruits were unacceptable because of physical, medical, mental, or educational issues - but @ least you'd get a much wider racial/sociological base to work from.

I assume that you would also get a nicer-looking group than average if you only looked @ Ivy League school graduates now, as opposed to college graduates @ random across the country graduating in the same year. That's the nature of filters - they filter in & they filter out - it just depends on what you're trying to achieve.

Last edited by southwest88; 04-25-2019 at 04:01 PM..

Old 04-25-2019, 03:54 PM

18,463 posts, read 8,292,857 times
I can't believe some people...get up...look in the mirror...make themselves look that way

...and approve of it

Old 04-25-2019, 03:57 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,113,717 times
Quote:

Most fruits and vegetables also to be honest seem much lower quality and less sweet than I remember. I know I am not the only one who has mentioned this either.

Organically raised local produce often tastes similar to the produce I grew up eating. The only meat I have eaten for years now comes from a family deli/market that buys from local (within a hundred miles or so) sources. The beef in Publix started being disgusting over a decade ago. Eggs, same thing.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:00 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,860,239 times
It all started the day that women stopped shaving their armpits and men preferred the cooking channel over baseball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies