Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2019, 07:00 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
My point exactly.
And yet your words smack of broad brush racial stereotyping. You're not someone I want running a law enforcement unit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Southerners are no friendlier than any other group. History proves that they’re less friendlier if anything.

Southern California has just as many high strung people as anywhere else.

People in Boston are highly educated? Lol...really now?
Yep. "Bless your heart" is not a complimentary remark in the South.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well you better watch out because those who claim to "hold you up" (the right) now are keen to make complete enemies (in a violent sense if possible) of Asians....

It's the same old story. They want it by hook or crook. The whole reason bigotry grew so large in this country was that the white working person felt inferior. He didn't want his job taken by a Black, Chinese or anyone else who was not of his "stock".

Now that many Asians are "ruling the world" - or at least much of the job market and manufacturing and a lot of other things, the same bigots (know-nothings) are right here on C-D claiming Chinese are our enemy...

At some point one just has to wait until these people die off or mix with tolerant and decent people enough to fade away......
Oh, I know that double talk a mile away. Today you'll hear the same (white) people extol Asians for their achievements and say we're affected by affirmative action, yet at the same time justify legacy and athletic admits....and get bent out of shape when there's "too many" of us on a college campus, tech company --- or see a lot of Indian shops and Chinese supermarkets in the neighborhood. And a lot of them claim to be "liberal".

Old 05-25-2019, 07:11 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,664,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Bull, there was no bigger fraud or liar than Obama.
Except Trump.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:36 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,185,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In my case, I don't "stick to my own". I've never been the kind of the person who "stays with my own".

No intent to criticize, just stating how it is more often than not.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:39 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,144,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
I guess it just doesn’t matter for some people that no matter how much you try help them...They just don’t care give a dam....they’re more into identity politics... it just shows sad state of affairs we’re living in these times...
Perhaps black voters understand that Trump has done little directly to help them, but meanwhile has, whether by omission or commission, made things worse by his bigotry, his failing to clamp down on police violence toward them, and his failing to take a stand against gerrymandering to support voting rights.

Old 05-26-2019, 12:27 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Well that's just it, you were in the Army. Soldiers are trained to be crass (meaning tough and insensitive, not the other meaning) so not to be perceived as weak by their opponents.

Completely different culture compared to that around civilians.
Who in the hell ever told you that? The military teaches you no such thing!

Where do you guys get this nonsense from?

Old 05-26-2019, 01:30 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
That's the thing though. You guys had zero tolerance for that kid who used the N-Word. When he got out of line, you immediately put him in his place.

Same thing happened to Lewis Grizzard when he moved from Newnan to work for the Chicago Sun-Times. As the Sports Editor, he tried doing some of the casually racist crap he could get away with back in Newnan and when called out for it, he practically ran crying back to Georgia and finished out his career with the Atlanta Journal Constitution when his northern co-workers wouldn't have it (see the book "If I Ever Get Back To Georgia, I'm Gonna Nail My Feet To The Ground").

I also think back to incidents like the recent one in Hoschton, GA. A councilman literally said to a news reporter in 2019 that he didn't think interracial relationships were Christian. I also think back to snother recent incident in Griffin, GA where a resident came into the council meeting and, despite seeing an African American male in one of the seats, used the N-Word in his diatribe about the "good ol' days" multiple times. And when the African-American guy tried to call him out for it, his white colleagues would just say "let him (the resident) finished." Will these people or these towns face any repercussions for such casually racist actions? Probably not. In fact, everybody has completely forgot about these incidents.
Well, the incident I was speaking of happened in Georgia, specifically Marietta(which is about 15 miles northwest of Atlanta). To be honest, I really didn't deal with much racism at all in Marietta while I was living there. The kid who called me that word was a transplant from Chicago. He likely felt like "I can call this kid the N word and nothing will happen". He was shown different results. I didn't hit him, another kid did though. It was when I moved further west (towards Paulding County), that is when I experienced alot of racism. I was called the "N" word to my face. I dealt with some individuals who would say things like "go pick my cotton" or "I'm going to hang you". And there were fights in my high school, some of them racially motivated.There were kids who would let it be known "you don't call me that word". I let one kid know, "hey, you don't do that". But there was some casual racism in my high school, and even in middle school.

I never heard of Lewis Grizzard. Then again, I also found out he was dead long before I moved to the Atlanta area. Apparently, Grizzard loved the Old South and hated the New South. Being a Black man, I have nothing but disdain and disgust for the Old South.

I live in Georgia. I know about the incident in Hoschton, GA. I went to middle school and high school on the far west side of the metro area (look up Paulding County to get an idea of what it's like). I went to school with kids who believed that interracial marriage was wrong. And this wasn't in the 1960s. This was the 2000s. There were still many individuals stuck in that Old South, plantation way of doing thing. Albeit, not everyone who had that mentality showed it. I am not surprised that there are people around who still think like this. I don't see it nearly as much in places like Marietta, Decatur, Atlanta proper, Sandy Springs, Smyrna (basically, the inner ring suburbs). I am more likely to see this kind of crap in Bartow County, Paulding County, Haralson County, Barrow County, basically, the outer counties. Hoschton is towards the outskirts of metro Atlanta. It's a small town that became part of the metro area without really wanting to be part of it. As the Atlanta metropolitan area keeps expanding, there are some old south types who don't like this at all.

I figured said person wouldn't be punished. I haven't heard anything yet. The mayor hasn't resigned. This actually reminds me of an incident that happened years ago. And this involved a Hispanic person from the NYC area. He seemed nice at first. And then one day he made some comments that were disturbing. He basically said he was tired of Black people and it was because of Obama. He said this to me, to my face. I called him out on it, quickly. Another guy next to me said "just calm down, let him speak his mind". I couldn't just let him "speak his mind". I was angry. I wanted to hit him, hard. I didn't hit him. I didn't think it was worth going to prison for assault. Being an adult, there are just some things not worth going to prison over.

There are many people who have moved to the South from other places, and definitely let it be known "we're not okay with racism". There are also times when I wonder if some persons move to the South because they feel "I can be political incorrect/casually racist and it's okay".

Old 05-26-2019, 01:56 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Perhaps black voters understand that Trump has done little directly to help them, but meanwhile has, whether by omission or commission, made things worse by his bigotry, his failing to clamp down on police violence toward them, and his failing to take a stand against gerrymandering to support voting rights.
Truth is, most Presidents don't do much for Black people. President Trump isn't any different in that regard. Many Presidents don't address police brutality, gerrymandering, or job discrimination.

What makes Trump different from other Republican Presidents of the last 45 years is the antagonistic tone we see from Trump. George W. Bush knew when to shut up. George H.W. Bush knew when to shut up. Even Reagan wasn't as crazy as Trump. Trump has been antagonistic. Comments like:

Quote:
Our great African American President hasn't exactly had a positive impact on the thugs who are so happily and openly destroying Baltimore!
And then there is Trump who kept claiming that former President Obama wasn't a citizen, despite the fact that Obama is a natural-born citizen.

President Trump has been known to run his mouth and make antagonistic comments, and make stupid comments as well:

"Look at my African-American over there", he said, pointing to a Black person at a rally in Redding,CA.

Difference between Trump and other Presidents is that Trump will say stupid things, and the diehards of his supporter base eat it up.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:20 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If you're coming here to complain about Black people, you obviously care. If you have a disdain for Blacks, then you shouldn't care if they have jobs or not. You came here for a reason.
"Roving white supremacists" have a tendency to show up during civil rights movements. They don't mince their words.

Our time is no different than past times:

Quote:
Jesse Benjamin Stoner Jr. (April 13, 1924 – April 23, 2005) was an American segregationist convicted in 1980 of the 1958 bombing of the Bethel Baptist Church in Birmingham, Alabama.[1]

He was a founder and long-time chairman of the National States' Rights Party and publisher of its newsletter, The Thunderbolt. Stoner unsuccessfully attempted to run as a Democrat for several political offices in order to promote his white supremacist agenda.
J. B. Stoner
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._B._Stoner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies