Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2019, 10:22 AM

253 posts, read 378,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
If you don't qualify for subsidy you got a tax cut. You can thank Trump for that.
And yet, his presidency will cost me far more than the petty cut that I received. By 2027, most Americans will be paying a larger percentage of their income to taxes. Wages have stagnated and are not keeping up with inflation. The cuts for the middle class are temporary while those that assist the wealthy will remain in effect permanently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 10:29 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
They (or ANYONE) could NEVER be appreciative enough in Trump's eyes. Bow down before the mighty dumpTrump.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Here is the deal, I don't have disdain for all blacks, it is the ghetto scum thugs I can't stand, they have no respect for human life. I do not have any black friends, but do have many black acquaintances. As far as Trump goes I have not heard him say anything racist, but I do love the way he drives the left out of their minds.
Courtesy of the NY Times, here are a few of the racist statements that Trump has made. I do understand that some people believe that he didn't "mean" anything racist when he made these comments but that doesn't make those comments any less racist or less offensive.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...mp-racist.html

Old 05-27-2019, 10:36 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Oh, that kind of nonsense isn't new. I've heard snide remarks about Asians "wrecking the curve" and populating the libraries way back when I was at Berkeley, and then Asians constituted "only" 20-25% of the student body. It's now about 40-42%. It won't go over 50% because the powers that be will get meltdowns over the flagship campus being majority Asian.
There are alot of things I know about considering the subject of California. However, from not living in California (I did live in Washington state for a time as a kid), there are some things I didn't know. Kind of eye opening. There is kind of a dual relationship. On the one hand, Asians are touted as "the model minority", albeit that's used to bash other minorities. On the other hand, some people complain about Asians for being "too successful" or "too competitive". I read about "white flight" from some Bay Area suburbs because some people felt that Asian-majority schools were "too competitive".

If a student depends on a curve that badly, then maybe that student has some problems. Blaming Asians for his/her problems won't solve anything.

I thought about something else. Neil Degrasse Tyson talked about some of the racism he dealt with in his college years. At UT-Austin, he recalled the police being called on him when he came from the laboratory. The police were never called when he came from the gym.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:39 AM

17,642 posts, read 6,923,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMartianChick View Post
Courtesy of the NY Times, here are a few of the racist statements that Trump has made. I do understand that some people believe that he didn't "mean" anything racist when he made these comments but that doesn't make those comments any less racist or less offensive.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...mp-racist.html
Yeah, I've seen that political smear piece before.

The truth is Donald Trump was never a racist until he opposed liberals. Then he magically turned into one. That's what liberals do-accuse anyone who disagrees with them of being a racist. It's predictable and pretty disgusting.

Frankly, the people who claim Trump is a racist are the actual bigots.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I've seen that political smear piece before.

The truth is Donald Trump was never a racist until he opposed liberals. Then he magically turned into one. That's what liberals do-accuse anyone who disagrees with them of being a racist. It's predictable and pretty disgusting.

Frankly, the people who claim Trump is a racist are the actual bigots.
It would only be a smear piece if he had never made those comments. I'm from NY State. I knew all about Trump before he ever ran for public office. His activities were always high-profile. I would never have voted for him regardless of party. Denying people of color apartments based upon their ethnicity and the Central Park Five incidents occurred long before he ever ran for office. There is no Federal Office of Bigotry that labels people as racists.

Frankly, his own words and actions won him the title of RACIST.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:11 AM

17,642 posts, read 6,923,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMartianChick View Post
It would only be a smear piece if he had never made those comments. I'm from NY State. I knew all about Trump before he ever ran for public office. His activities were always high-profile. I would never have voted for him regardless of party. Denying people of color apartments based upon their ethnicity and the Central Park Five incidents occurred long before he ever ran for office. There is no Federal Office of Bigotry that labels people as racists.

Frankly, his own words and actions won him the title of RACIST.
Yeah, whatever. McCain was a racist. Romney was a racist. Anyone who runs against a Democrat is a racist.

Unfortunately, you guys have cried wolf one too many times. Most people don't care anymore if you think someone's a racist.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Yeah, whatever. McCain was a racist. Romney was a racist. Anyone who runs against a Democrat is a racist.

Unfortunately, you guys have cried wolf one too many times. Most people don't care anymore if you think someone's a racist.
So, what would it take for you to agree that someone is a racist?

If someone participated in a white hood march, are they a racist?

If they won't hire someone because of their skin color, are they a racist?

Do you believe that a person can say racist things without being a racist?

I'm genuinely curious about this because there are many ways to express racism. Some are more overt than others.

I personally believe in redemption and that people can change their stance on an issue. However, when I can look at their body of work online and not find any evolution on an issue, I have to believe that they are still the same. When someone makes dog whistle comments in today's environment, I have to believe that their thinking hasn't evolved. Instead, they are trying to find a softer way to double-down on the same old perspective.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:57 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
They (or ANYONE) could NEVER be appreciative enough in Trump's eyes. Bow down before the mighty dumpTrump.
And this is why I proudly admit to being "unappreciative".

Old 05-27-2019, 12:07 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,201,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, it looks like you know what it's all about.

I'm in California, and there are colleges here with substantial Asian populations - like many of the UCs. UC Irvine is actually majority Asian. UCLA is jokingly called University of Caucasians Living Among Asians though it isn't majority Asian (about 40%).
Chicago's version is UIC. Very diverse, and the white non-hispanic enrollment is around 32%, with substantial Hispanic and Asian enrollments at 30% and 20-25%, respectively. The UIC in Champaign-Urbana has a below 50% white enrollment, and Asians at 18%. Asians are only 6% of the state's population but represent double to quadruple that percentage in most major universities. I'll say they are doing well in academia.

Now, where I think Asians(particularly the men) are most discriminated or have a hard time is in the dating arena. In comparison to white men and even black men, Asian men are almost never portrayed as sex symbols or desirable as mates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies