Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2019, 03:28 PM

926 posts, read 417,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
As we all know, counting on "free market" and that mumbo-jumbo "natural law" means that you're at the mercy of someone's whims if they want to offer you services or goods that others can enjoy. To heck with that - I have the right to be served like anyone else! Do I have the assurance that I can get a hotel room, a table at a restaurant like anyone else?
Double-check the law on that, but if my memory is correct: no, you don't. Business owners are entitled to refuse service to a would-be client.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 03:30 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
Double-check the law on that, but if my memory is correct: no, you don't. Business owners are entitled to refuse service to a would-be client.
They can't refuse service based upon who that person is, like race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.

There are 2 Supreme Court cases that affirm that.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
That depends, if you're white you have to pay for it. if you're a minority, you have whites pay for it and then gib dat to the minority because of the white oppression suffered upon them.
There is some truth to that. But, to be fair, this is only possible because of the white liberal "elite" and white liberals in general. These people have a vested interest in keeping the minorities poor and dependent on government handouts.

On the other hand, Republicans have a vested interest in seeing the minorities succeed and enjoy American prosperity to its full extent.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
They can't refuse service based upon who that person is, like race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.

There are 2 Supreme Court cases that affirm that.
Yes. So, basically no one is "entitled to be served like everyone else", since business owners can refuse service for a wide array of reasons.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:34 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,660 times
Default This guy is a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
I guess it just doesn’t matter for some people that no matter how much you try help them...They just don’t care give a dam....they’re more into identity politics... it just shows sad state of affairs we’re living in these times...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-bl...ating-to-biden

Duh kno. Maybe Russian.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:34 PM

20,114 posts, read 9,028,155 times
gravitate to Biden? lmao he put hundreds of thousands of black people in jail. Remember three strikes you're out? Sentences for life in prison for marijuana. Sure they'll flock to him. Old white guy, privileged member of the Senate since he was 30. They have a lot in common.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Yes. So, basically no one is "entitled to be served like everyone else", since business owners can refuse service for a wide array of reasons.
Well, if the store doesn't have what I want, they don't have to sell it to me. Or if I'm causing a disturbance or threatening other customers or staff members, they can tell me to get lost.

Now if they don't want to sell it to me because of my race, and they'll sell that to someone else who is of a different ethnic background, that's a no-no.

Example: A kosher deli won't sell a smoked ham. But they'll sell anything they offer to people of any background, and gladly will.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:

Example: A kosher deli won't sell a smoked ham. But they'll sell anything they offer to people of any background, and gladly will.
Of course, because they want the money. But should they refuse to sell something, I believe they would have the legal right to do so. (not saying this is a good thing or bad one here, just stating the fact).

Old 05-29-2019, 04:24 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Black unemployment is at an all time low, but much of the Black Community don't want to give up the victimhood mentalilty, and be held accountable for their problems. Which are huge, by the way.
Not attributable to any policy of Trump. Accountable. Unreal.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Of course, because they want the money. But should they refuse to sell something, I believe they would have the legal right to do so. (not saying this is a good thing or bad one here, just stating the fact).
Well, if you refuse to sell something, it has to be on a nondiscriminatory basis and not violate the Civil Rights Act.

Heart of Atlanta Motel vs. United States, and Katzenbach vs. McClung are the US Supreme Court cases that affirm this - no discrimination in public accommodations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies